Going Over Bumps Feels Like the Car Loses Control for a second - why??

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi guys

I test-drove an RS6 a couple of weeks back (C5) and on the test drive if you hit a bump it felt like the car lost control for a split second. Especially on the rear. There was a kind of fish tailing sensation. Only for a brief moment, then felt ok again.

Naturally did not buy the car as it was actually a complete shed.

However, I remember having the exact same issue on an RS6 around 2-3 years back but the same sensation was more noticeable from the front.

It's almost as if (?) the wheel is knocked off straight for a second by the bump and feel out of control for a split second whilst the wheel gets straight again?

It's really odd, but a very distinct and noticeable sensation. Actually feels a little dangerous!!

What could this be?? Wheel bearing, lower suspension arms???

I'm about to view another and, from the sellers description, I have a feeling his may be doing something similar so I need to know what to budget for to set this issue right.

Hopefully someone here has come across this before??

Any help much appreciated.

Ah - that's interesting. Can you replace just the bushes, or does it have to be the arms with bushes?

Is it a similar issue if it's on the front?

front is best done with arms as the balljoints are most likely ******** too. Rears can be done with just bushes. These cars are heavy old beasts and once the bushes wear the body moves around quite a bit