Going green - in an Exclusive spec PFL RS3

I managed to sneak a lunchtime drive out to the local lanes of north Somerset earlier this week - such a lovely day for it. Clearly other people had the same idea as I came across a McLaren, Lotus Exige and AMG C63 taking a similar route. This RS3 definitely doesn't feel out of place in the company of cars like these.

More than that, the noise is just sensational - you feel a million dollars just letting the cultured exhaust tones bounce off walls in low gears, held manually at just the right revs via the DSG 'box. I think the ECU has adapted to the recent remap now and my bum dyno says this is the quickest car I've had. All within speed limits and responsible driving, it's absolutely astonishing how rapidly it covers ground from corner to corner across country.

Unfortunately I had a very big smash while riding a bicycle the next day, which meant a category 1 ambulance and helicopter response and a trip to A&E. Thankfully my spine is better than first feared, but it means I'm now nursing fractured vertebrae and ribs. :( I've been on my feet again, although it looks like I might not be driving the RS3 again for a few weeks and, when I do, that automatic gearbox will be really handy...!
So sorry to hear that mate. Hope you recover quickly and I’m sure the lure of the RS3 will help.

Reactions: The Cardinal
I managed to sneak a lunchtime drive out to the local lanes of north Somerset earlier this week - such a lovely day for it. Clearly other people had the same idea as I came across a McLaren, Lotus Exige and AMG C63 taking a similar route. This RS3 definitely doesn't feel out of place in the company of cars like these.

More than that, the noise is just sensational - you feel a million dollars just letting the cultured exhaust tones bounce off walls in low gears, held manually at just the right revs via the DSG 'box. I think the ECU has adapted to the recent remap now and my bum dyno says this is the quickest car I've had. All within speed limits and responsible driving, it's absolutely astonishing how rapidly it covers ground from corner to corner across country.

Unfortunately I had a very big smash while riding a bicycle the next day, which meant a category 1 ambulance and helicopter response and a trip to A&E. Thankfully my spine is better than first feared, but it means I'm now nursing fractured vertebrae and ribs. :( I've been on my feet again, although it looks like I might not be driving the RS3 again for a few weeks and, when I do, that automatic gearbox will be really handy...!

Oh no, sounds bad. Speedy recovery mate

Zero launches?! Who owned the car before as if on here they need calling out ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: The Cardinal, Jcbmally and 8YARWY
Thanks for everyone's good wishes. Driving should be back on the cards pretty soon, though acrobatics might be tricky for a while.

On the zero launches thing, I've put my Sherlock hat on for a moment...

The car was sold to the dealer by someone who had a history of buying cars from them, and it wasn't a part ex. I'm having a recollection it was sold on behalf of the dad by his son - but it might have been the other way around. I'm pretty sure the V5 listed an upmarket Surrey address. The sat nav history suggests that the car visited Brighton frequently, plus a handful of average properties in nearby suburbia.

I'm going to make a guess that it was owned by an old boy, who used it to visit his portfolio of local rental properties so that he could spare the wear on his Maclaren! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally
A trip yesterday with my kids in the RS3 to visit my parents was its first since my accident, taking the miles for July to 160.

I think I've now perfected the car's settings for this sort of journey, which is to set the "individual" mode to its most sporting for the transmission and exhaust and comfiest for the suspension and steering - using manual to change gear at the point just after the exhaust flaps open widest at around 3,500rpm. Sounds like a supercar, but you can take the kids in comfort. :D

It still gets a lot of attention, the latest being a tuned Golf R and what looked like a modified 335i convertible slowing down alongside on the motorway and looking for a bit of something. I do wonder how the reaction might be to a more visibly "RS3-ish" Nardo grey one, as opposed to this colour. I always disappoint and still think there's no need to speed either, with so much aural entertainment to be had at low speeds and on my own terms.

The kids asked me: "Dad, why does everyone else drive boring cars?". :laugh:

IMG-1573.jpg

I removed and had the Stage 1 remap refunded recently as I wasn't happy with it. It was a generic one and I won't say whose out of courtesy (it wasn't bad and certainly noticeable at full throttle, but it dampened the noise and didn't feel as resolved as the OE map). I have learned my lesson about the value of either remaining standard or going for a custom map on this particular car. I'm thinking of going to someone like MRC, if only I can find the time to do so.

Reactions: Harvey, Jcbmally and Mr Freeze
A trip yesterday with my kids in the RS3 to visit my parents was its first since my accident, taking the miles for July to 160.

I think I've now perfected the car's settings for this sort of journey, which is to set the "individual" mode to its most sporting for the transmission and exhaust and comfiest for the suspension and steering - using manual to change gear at the point just after the exhaust flaps open widest at around 3,500rpm. Sounds like a supercar, but you can take the kids in comfort. :D

It still gets a lot of attention, the latest being a tuned Golf R and what looked like a modified 335i convertible slowing down alongside on the motorway and looking for a bit of something. I do wonder how the reaction might be to a more visibly "RS3-ish" Nardo grey one, as opposed to this colour. I always disappoint and still think there's no need to speed either, with so much aural entertainment to be had at low speeds and on my own terms.

The kids asked me: "Dad, why does everyone else drive boring cars?". :laugh:

IMG-1573.jpg

I removed and had the Stage 1 remap refunded recently as I wasn't happy with it. It was a generic one and I won't say whose out of courtesy (it wasn't bad and certainly noticeable at full throttle, but it dampened the noise and didn't feel as resolved as the OE map). I have learned my lesson about the value of either remaining standard or going for a custom map on this particular car. I'm thinking of going to someone like MRC, if only I can find the time to do so.
Just leave it standard mate does it really need the map ? it's quick enough out of the box with a lovely sound track at any revs .

Reactions: Jcbmally and The Cardinal
I understand the reason for not saying in public but would you mind going into it a bit more If I DM you? I am looking at stage 1 and having reservations. I know I can get it mapped and try it out and get it refunded if I don't like it but I don't want to leave it with the TD1 unnecessarily.

Just leave it standard mate does it really need the map ? it's quick enough out of the box with a lovely sound track at any revs .
Power is not the reason for me to look at a remap. I want the cold-start sequence gone (revving it's balls off when cold just to heat up the cats makes the mechanical sympathy in me cringe) and I want the wastegate rattle gone too. I like to be a considerate neighbour :tearsofjoy:

A bit more drivability and torque with a bit less all-or-nothing would be a bonus and all I would be after.

The file I bought would have been developed on a rolling-roaded RS3 some years ago and just downloaded when someone wanted one ever since. This is how the big-name tuners operate, other than those who do custom ones.

I drove it for about 150 miles and the map I tried just wasn't quite right... Like you, I wanted a subtle but noticeable torque increase whereas I think it was more tailored towards top end power. I also felt it reduced those almost ghostly 5-pot noises at part throttle and lower revs, which is a big part of the car for me.

I wouldn't be concerned about a TD1. PFL RS3s are 6-7 year-old enthusiast's cars and likely out of Audi warranty, meaning that remaps are common and that potential buyers are knowledgeable.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and flybynite
We've driven over 2,000 miles for holidays in the last month, with the bulk done by our van - pictured here in Cornwall.

IMG-1843.jpg

I'd planned to take the Bus on a long weekend break to visit my brother in Brighton, too - not least because we would also be carrying a 5th person in the form of a cousin, whom we dropped-off en route. Unfortunately the Airbnb host got in touch just beforehand to say that the parking situation was very tight and advised against bringing vans - so that put paid to that idea.

Thankfully the RS3 was on-hand and coped well. I don't think my 10-year-old fancies regular trips in the middle rear seat, but the small boot was fine for a family weekend away and the comfort pretty good thanks to the adaptive dampers. I cracked just a smidge under 40mpg, too. This is the sort of thing that Audi RS cars do well, and I think that once you get your head around the concept of the RS3 being more of a baby RS6 than a hyped-up Golf R then I think you come to understand its capabilities better.

IMG-1919.jpg

This is mainly lost of my wife, though. She chortled to herself at the tastelessness of the quilted cream seats - and didn't appreciate the sounds of the sports exhaust when I blip down into 2nd and 1st in slowing traffic, so I reluctantly switched to "comfort" mode. You all know that Audi "got away with it" somehow in getting type approval for the pre-facelift 2015-16 RS3 and it's widely thought to be one of the loudest production cars this side of an early Noughties TVR, when spec'd with the optional exhaust in Sport mode at least. So, to be fair, she has a point. I can't think she'd like the secondary de-cat mod that some do... :D

In my defence, we do mainly trundle around in an ice cream van and have a little Skoda for urban runs - at her behest (and my cost!). ;)

I don't think pictures do justice to the colour nor its variation according to light, though the difference is apparent below from the pic above. I'm still getting a lot of comments and reactions when out and about.

IMG-2040.jpg

I've got some long business trips coming up in September and October, after which I will probably use it less and keep it out of the winter weather in its garage. The other thing on my mind is to book myself in for a better quality remap than the one I tried (and removed) recently.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Harvey and Jcbmally
IMO I’d leave it stock, plenty of power, good mpg and a stock car will always command a premium, imo of course. If I had it I wouldn’t be able to stay out of it, I’d make comment’s like “erm you take the bus/Skoda, I’ll meet you there love” :racer: :whistle2::yes:

Reactions: Mr Freeze, The Cardinal and Harvey
Such a nice looking colour, enjoying reading the thread.

I haven't been using the car much recently and its mainstay is 100-mile round trips to see my parents. I did sneak it out of the garage today to give it a clean and then to pop it back in, before heading out tomorrow on another visit.

Another day, another shade of the same green... ;)

IMG-2177.jpg

IMG-2179.jpg

As I locked-up the garage, a man called over asking for some jump cables. Unfortunately I didn't have any, but helped him try to bump start it before parking up when it didn't work. It was an old Saab 9-3 and he was probably in his mid-50s, on his way to work, and quite distressed - he didn't have enough money to afford a replacement gear knob for his car, let alone breakdown cover. My garage is in the grounds of a local authority tower block and I guess he lives there - I offered him a lift, but he wouldn't take it. What a day he was having.

I left with really mixed feelings. How did it end up that I am tucking-up a pampered RS3 into a garage during a break in my Teams-based working day; my third vehicle, a total luxury - and yet he is there bump-starting his shed, in distress? It can't be down to life choices alone. Such is the world we live in. :(

Reactions: Jcbmally and Alex.S3
I love your car and your reports.

You get better mpg than I do in my OEM a5 b9 252. Over 1700 miles it's done 38mpg and I drive it like a granny and haven't managed to get better mpg. Like you, I do motorways in the inside lane at 65. A tip with the CC if you don't know, if you hold it up or down for 1 sec it will increment by 5mph, useful when people brake or cut you up... though distance cruise control would be better.

Maybe an Rs3 is in my future..

Well, my latest update is that I've ordered a brand new car.

It has a digital dash, pan roof, adaptive cruise control etc...

Bah ha ha ha ha! Had you fooled didn't I?! ;)

The replacement isn't for the RS3 but instead our trusty Skoda Fabia, which has been doing sterling service as an urban runabout.

IMG-2286.jpg

The RS3 and van are coming up to 7 and 10 years old respectively, meaning more extensive maintenance and (thanks to a low emission zone) partial retirement for our van. While the Fabia is actually only 6 years old and hardly a ticking time bomb, I thought it'd be good to have a new little car as it's the one we absolutely depend on to work and is used most often.

The replacement is a Polo with DSG auto, pan roof, parking sensors and a few other bits and bobs. Due April next year:

Untitled.png

In the meantime I've covered our van in anticipation of using it only sparingly this winter:

IMG-2285.jpg

I've also gotten a cover for the RS3, handily in a matching green at a bargain price. The alleyway in front of the garage is a bit of a wind channel and so it's good to keep it away from the inevitable dust. You can see in the pics below how I have to carefully park this car in the garage so that I can get out of it! The RS3 is at the absolute limit of what will fit in the garage and so you can see why this car makes sense given 5 seats & doors are a must.

IMG-2181.jpg

IMG-2279.jpg

IMG-2281.jpg

IMG-2283.jpg

IMG-2282.jpg

Annoyingly, I seem to have picked up a faint paint crack to the offside front lower bumper valance - running about 10cm along the sticky-outey bit under the offside air intake. I guess it was either a very unfortunate stone chip or perhaps a speed bump? :confused:

I took it out today to fill up on fuel. That start-up and noise never get old! :)

The work journeys I was expecting this month are switching to the rails, but instead we'll be doing some big journeys over the next few weeks to visit friends and family in the RS3. I'll report back afterwards.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jcbmally and Harvey

The replacement isn't for the RS3 but instead our trusty Skoda Fabia, which has been doing sterling service as an urban runabout.

IMG-2286.jpg

The RS3 and van are coming up to 7 and 10 years old respectively, meaning more extensive maintenance and (thanks to a low emission zone) partial retirement for our van. While the Fabia is actually only 6 years old and hardly a ticking time bomb, I thought it'd be good to have a new little car as it's the one we absolutely depend on to work and is used most often.

The replacement is a Polo with DSG auto, pan roof, parking sensors and a few other bits and bobs. Due April next year:

Untitled.png

In the meantime I've covered our van in anticipation of using it only sparingly this winter:

IMG-2285.jpg

I've also gotten a cover for the RS3, handily in a matching green at a bargain price. The alleyway in front of the garage is a bit of a wind channel and so it's good to keep it away from the inevitable dust. You can see in the pics below how I have to carefully park this car in the garage so that I can get out of it! The RS3 is at the absolute limit of what will fit in the garage and so you can see why this car makes sense given 5 seats & doors are a must.

IMG-2181.jpg

IMG-2279.jpg

IMG-2281.jpg

IMG-2283.jpg

IMG-2282.jpg

Annoyingly, I seem to have picked up a faint paint crack to the offside front lower bumper valance - running about 10cm along the sticky-outey bit under the offside air intake. I guess it was either a very unfortunate stone chip or perhaps a speed bump? :confused:

I took it out today to fill up on fuel. That start-up and noise never get old! :)

The work journeys I was expecting this month are switching to the rails, but instead we'll be doing some big journeys over the next few weeks to visit friends and family in the RS3. I'll report back afterwards.
Nice manoeuvring, but at least you can lock it away.

IMG-2286.jpg

Untitled.png

IMG-2285.jpg

IMG-2181.jpg

IMG-2279.jpg

IMG-2281.jpg

IMG-2283.jpg

IMG-2282.jpg

Thanks for the update :icon thumright:

Last weekend was typical of the sort of use that led me to a progression of AWD hot VAG models. It started off with a 4-up motorway run of >100 miles in poor weather, at which point the car was still looking presentable:

IMG-2486.jpg

We then drove a further 35 miles or so to the in-laws' country cottage, which has filthy roads at the best of times. Now looking slightly less presentable:

IMG-2492.jpg

I think it's safe to say that a car with such detailed grilles, brakes etc as this - and a light interior - is definitely not the right choice for country living! :eek:

However, the return drive across many miles of Salisbury Plain's finest rain and winds showed just how capable the car is. I've driven this many times in S3s and A3 2.0T quattro models of several generations over 15 years, with a little time in a supercharged Golf R32 for good measure. All these cars are ideal for this sort of driving, which is undemanding so far as corners and handling go - but where the traction and torque benefits are huge in poor weather.

The RS3 has a curious nature to the way it drives in these circumstances. I've always found S3s especially to be unstressed, though the RS3 takes it a big step further. It's almost nonchalant in "Comfort" mode for the gearbox and adaptive dampers. Lots of suspension travel helps, too. Torque on this unmapped car is slightly slow to build in this setting and, when added to the sense of weight at the helm, it feels can feel quite lazy. The main benefits are comfort, security and deceptive speed. Again, all very mini-RS6.

Two experiences point to some other benefits:

- I was followed by some high-spec Merc convertible as I exited a village and approached a T-junction. I gave it some modest beans as I joined the A-road, no drama whatsoever in this car. But the Merc put down its power and quite dramatically fishtailed from one side of the wide A-road to another, completely out of control until the driver corrected it before suffering a second fishtail. They were *extremely* lucky that no cars were coming the other way, or indeed to hit a kerb on either side. 4WD and good tyres are not a gimmick!

- A twin motor Polestar 2 repeatedly had a go out of some roundabouts while I was holding 3rd gear. All within safe and legal limits, I was surprised at how lacking this 400+hp car was compared to my own 4-up (and the noise was a lot nicer ;) ). I mustn't be too smug about electric cars though... the numbers for Tesla's models look frightening. Nonetheless, even with straight line speed, there are clearly still a lot more factors at play than just the horsepower.

Reactions: flybynite, Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and 2 others
4WD and good tyres are not a gimmick!
I have driven all haldex generations and the Haldex V is a good step up on what came before, but tyres are the key for me. Im a huge fan of the PS4S but they are in storage this time of year. I run tyres that are designed for cold and wet and will get you home an the odd day it does snow. 3rd winter on these and the RS3 feels planted in the torrential rain we have been having.
Beggers belief we still have a hose pipe ban here.:wtf:
- A twin motor Polestar 2 repeatedly had a go out of some roundabouts while I was holding 3rd gear. All within safe and legal limits, I was surprised at how lacking this 400+hp car was compared to my own 4-up (and the noise was a lot nicer ;) ). I mustn't be too smug about electric cars though... the numbers for Tesla's models look frightening. Nonetheless, even with straight line speed, there are clearly still a lot more factors at play than just the horsepower.
I looked at the Polestar a while back and although it has similar power it is lugging an extra ton around over the RS3 which does blunt the acceleration a bit. I thought it was close to the RS3 but not quite. 4.5 to 60 seemed about right and slower than the RS3. They now offer an OTA 60 bhp upgrade which helps. I liked the car to drive though and if I ever went electric it would be high up the list. Could it have been a single-motor though? more of them around now and no real way to tell.

Drove the tesla too, yes it is quick in a straight line but left me cold, like driving a fridge. Don't like having to use a screen to open the glovebox and the fact that they can remotely update your car, not always for the better. Seeing the way Audi have messed up the maps makes me wonder what could be done to a whole car.

RS3 staying for a while yet for me. ;)

The single motor Polestar 2 is more like 230hp, with 30-70 times being around double those of a PFL. The one I encountered was losing ground on full bore 3rd gear runs out of roundabouts, but it wasn't a wipeout. I assumed it could only have been the twin motor 407hp one.

Incidentally, I had another stage 1 map put on the car yesterday. ;) This one feels remarkably different from the one I tried during the summer. You can really feel the difference from just 1,500rpm.

Reactions: flybynite, Jcbmally and Mr Freeze
Spot the difference:

IMG-2563.jpg

No?

Ok, well it's the brake calipers. There was always something that bugged me about the look of the car, and it the calipers were the most cost-effective place to start. I think it's toned things down and is much more in keeping with the otherwise subtle look of the car.

Someone on another forum implored me not to paint the calipers green, but it's too late now... :laugh:

IMG-2564.jpg

IMG-2565.jpg

If the interior had been black then perhaps I'd have left the calipers red, but I think it was one contrast too many with the light interior.

I'm pretty chuffed with it now. December's light makes the photos very dull, but I can assure you it looks well in the flesh once a bit of light is shining through the windows.

IMG-2571.jpg

I've also recently had another stage 1 remap, taking the torque and power modestly into 400+hp & lb/ft territory - bust most importantly by +25-30% at in the 1,500-3,000rpm range. It's a much better map and it's savage as opposed to just a brute now.

None of this comes cheap, but I am expecting to own this car for the foreseeable future and with any luck the costs over time should work out a fair bit lower than a newer hot hatch.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Alex.S3 and Jcbmally
Staggered by the tyre setup?

Having taking the Fabia one the first of this month's reasonably long runs in winter weather, I was happy to step back into the creature comforts of the RS3 - a much more suitable vehicle for covering distances.

During the course of a 450-mile weekend to Sussex to help my brother and his family move house, something just didn't quite feel right though. The car was tracking straight, but felt slightly askew - tramlining on the M25, a bit unsure of itself in sweeping corners and somewhat wibbly on country roads.

By the end of the first day of driving, I'd worked out what it was. The last people to work on the car (painting the brake calipers) had put the staggered wheels on back to front.

Audi-RS3-2012-on-Tyre-Pressure-Placard-327x600.jpg

As we know on this forum, the RS3 is one of the very few cars that comes with an optional staggered setup, where the wider 8.5J wheels and 255-section tyres are on the *front*. To check that I was not going mad, I looked at the build sheet for the car and it said:

"Alloy wheels - 19” x 8.5J at front and 19” x 8J at rear ‘5-arm Rotor’ design in anthracite black high-gloss finish, diamond cut alloy wheels with 255/30 R19 tyres at the front and 235/35 R19 tyres at the rear"

I heard this helps address the tendency to oversteer and is what black or grey wheels denote on an RS3, as opposed to those with silver wheels that have 8J and 235s all round. But, as you can see in a previous post, the narrower 8J wheels were actually now on the front axle with their 235-section tyres.

Being so far from home, I visited several tyre places with a view to swapping them over for the return journey. It was a busy Saturday, and most were fully booked - but the fitters at two places were also adamant that the fatter tyres on the rear was the correct setup, and the only place that could do the job simply refused to because they were so sure of it!

This was nearly also the case this morning, when I finally got the wheels somewhat reluctantly switched back over by the same people who had incorrectly fitted them back to front. I think my parting words were something like "you are going to think I am mad until you've Googled this for yourself". :rolleyes:

Apart from this quirk of ownership, the car has continued to perform brilliantly. Its performance has two dimensions - it's now just barking quick when needed thanks to the remap, yet capacious and practical. With seats down, it actually has more room inside than my brother's Mk7.5 Golf:

IMG-2586.jpg

I'm loath to use the car in this week's forecast poor weather because the front end is such a pain to clean, so I now need to decide whether to use it again for an upcoming 450-mile motorway run I have planned for work. I'd like to take the train, but who knows if they'll be working properly... and I certainly won't be using the Fabia for a trip of that length. :laugh:

IMG-2591.jpg
As

Reactions: Alex.S3, Mr Freeze and Jcbmally
The car blotted its copybook over Christmas for the first time, making a loud and constant pulsating from the front of the engine. This was evil-sounding enough for me to decide that leaving it in its garage over the holiday period was sensible, and so festive mile-munching plans were rescued by our van.

IMG-2730.jpg

With the RS3's codes, oil & coolant levels and idle speeds all being normal I initially hoped it was something like a heat shield, yet of course feared worse. However, after a closer look and some help from a Facebook group, the closest-sounding guess was a faulty alternator pulley.

My Audi specialist has taken it apart today and it turns out that this was sort-of correct. It's to be confirmed whether it's just the alternator's clutch pulley, or if a complete new unit is needed. Complete alternator prices (and more pertinently, availability) seem to vary wildly for the 2.5T and given that the existing unit looks so new it would be a shame to replace it wholly.

So, I'm taking bets as to whether it's either:

s-l500.jpg

Or....

ALTERNATOR-AUDI-RSQ3-RS3-2-5-TFSI-07-K903023-G-140-A-Typ-samochodu-Samochody-osobowe.jpg

I'm in it for the long haul with this car, but after almost a year of ownership the outcome of the above will be the first proper test of my policy of self-insuring via a dedicated savings account. :scratchchin:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Mr Freeze
The car blotted its copybook over Christmas for the first time, making a loud and constant pulsating from the front of the engine. This was evil-sounding enough for me to decide that leaving it in its garage over the holiday period was sensible, and so festive mile-munching plans were rescued by our van.

IMG-2730.jpg

With the RS3's codes, oil & coolant levels and idle speeds all being normal I initially hoped it was something like a heat shield, yet of course feared worse. However, after a closer look and some help from a Facebook group, the closest-sounding guess was a faulty alternator pulley.

My Audi specialist has taken it apart today and it turns out that this was sort-of correct. It's to be confirmed whether it's just the alternator's clutch pulley, or if a complete new unit is needed. Complete alternator prices (and more pertinently, availability) seem to vary wildly for the 2.5T and given that the existing unit looks so new it would be a shame to replace it wholly.

s-l500.jpg

Or....

ALTERNATOR-AUDI-RSQ3-RS3-2-5-TFSI-07-K903023-G-140-A-Typ-samochodu-Samochody-osobowe.jpg

I'm in it for the long haul with this car, but after almost a year of ownership the outcome of the above will be the first proper test of my policy of self-insuring via a dedicated savings account. :scratchchin:
Thanks for the update I hope its a cheap fix for you .

IMG-2730.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Or....

I’ll go clutch pulley, but as we all know these cars keep us guessing. Hopefully a cheap fix mate :icon thumright:

Reactions: Mr Freeze and The Cardinal
Unfortunately it was the whole alternator - not cheap! I opted for a genuine replacement part as I am keeping the car long term. The air con has been re-gassed at the same time because apparently the condenser needed to come off to complete the changeover.

Hopefully all set for better weather now. :)

IMG-2783.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally and Mr Freeze
Unfortunately it was the whole alternator - not cheap! I opted for a genuine replacement part as I am keeping the car long term. The air con has been re-gassed at the same time because apparently the condenser needed to come off to complete the changeover.

IMG-2783.jpg
At least you have peace of mind that the alternator is sorted for the long term .
The RS3 is looking great by the way :icon thumright:

IMG-2783.jpg
Ouch, but as Mr Freeze says it’s sorted now. I remember the good old days when an alternator was £50 :whistle2: :blow:

Reactions: Mr Freeze and The Cardinal
I do love the car's light interior - but it's proving quite hard to maintain.

Mainly it's the fact that small scratches show where they wouldn't with a black dye - but my daughter also managed to get biro on a rear bolster on a trip during the autumn. In a moment of stupidity, I tackled the mark with nail varnish remover and, um, here's the result:

IMG-2917.jpg

Touching up with matching paint didn't give a good finish, so - having sold my Skoda Fabia for a bit more than I'd hoped - I decided the difference could be put towards sorting this out. I visited a specialist trimmer today, whose view is that modern painted leathers are much less durable than older dyed finishes.

They're going to match a new piece of leather for the bolster above and do the same for a couple of other scratched areas. Hopefully that'll set me up ahead of some big trips this spring.

On a brighter note, the rest of the interior is still near spotless and in great condition for a car coming up to 7 years age. Plus the sun is coming out so the green paint is shining... and the noise, the noise!... :D

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Harvey, Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and 1 other person

Mainly it's the fact that small scratches show where they wouldn't with a black dye - but my daughter also managed to get biro on a rear bolster on a trip during the autumn. In a moment of stupidity, I tackled the mark with nail varnish remover and, um, here's the result:

IMG-2917.jpg

Touching up with matching paint didn't give a good finish, so - having sold my Skoda Fabia for a bit more than I'd hoped - I decided the difference could be put towards sorting this out. I visited a specialist trimmer today, whose view is that modern painted leathers are much less durable than older dyed finishes.

They're going to match a new piece of leather for the bolster above and do the same for a couple of other scratched areas. Hopefully that'll set me up ahead of some big trips this spring.

On a brighter note, the rest of the interior is still near spotless and in great condition for a car coming up to 7 years age. Plus the sun is coming out so the green paint is shining... and the noise, the noise!... :D
Wow I now know not to use nail polish remover on stubborn interior marks :grimacing:
Good to hear its getting sorted :icon thumright:

IMG-2917.jpg

I couldn’t cope with the mark staring at me. But kids are kids and anything can be repaired, I’ve watched enough Mike Brewer shows to know you’ll be able to get it fixed. Still a love steed though :friends: :superman:

Reactions: The Cardinal and Mr Freeze
One year

It's been just over a year since I got the car, and I last used it again to visit my parents at the weekend. It's the typical use the car gets; once every week or two on a long journey - 4,714 miles in all during the first 12 months.

I took the opportunity to take a quick pic in the morning light at the usual spot, which I think gives a better idea of the colour and calipers than those taken in darker light (as with the next pic):

IMG-3042.jpg

Last month saw me replace our urban runabout with a brand new Mini. The Mini being a high-spec model in a similar colourscheme has somewhat blurred the lines between the cars, on paper at least. I have no plans for the RS3 at the moment, but unlike with the previous runabout I'm confident I could downsize to just the Mini if the need arose.

IMG-2944.jpg

A cold start of the RS3 soon puts the contrast between the cars into sharp relief. ;) It's a fantastic car to drive and feels good every time it's used, but the Mini does an incredible job of offering very usable performance and comfort.

But on reflection the RS3's future is tied to our van rather than small car, because while the runabout is a daily we rely on, the RS3 & van cover very different needs while also giving us an extra set of wheels when the Mini is also in family use.

I have some long distance business trips coming up during the month, plus that leather to get fixed. I'll keep the thread updated.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and Harvey
Well, I'm afraid this is my last update for this green RS3.

My wife went away for the night last week and, as you do when your other half of 20+ years is away, the sleep was somewhat restless. I decided I wanted to refocus my resources a little - more on bikes and holidays basically. To my surprise, it only took a few hours from dawn breaking for a deal to be done with the dealer I’d bought the car from and it was collected today.

It all happened quickly – but, as is often the case with these things, the reasons were building for some time.

I’ve enjoyed every moment actually driving this RS3. It's a dream spec and I am sure to look back on it with a scratch of a head, as well as a tear in my eye. So, why did I sell?

Firstly, this RS3 wasn't a daily driver; it was a special occasion car – used every couple of weekends to visit my parents, with just a handful of long-distance work or social trips on top. That 2023 Mini I mentioned above is a daily and, while it’s certainly not a peer car, a smaller motor like this is a much better match to what we need as a family and means I can consolidate to one.

IMG-2943.jpg

Secondly, and being completely honest with myself, having a pampered car with its own garage was a drag. I wanted the RS3 to be spotless and have the very best of it. I found myself using my precious spare moments researching, fetching the car from its off-site garage, having things done to it etc. I’m looking forward to having a little time back to dedicate to other things in my life, worrying less about keeping a car top notch.

Thirdly, I also still have our van. It’s over ten years old now but in great condition and replacing it would be non-starter for my family. It’s almost the opposite of the RS3, but it does have bags of character. So, I’m going to be using this a bit more for the time being. It won’t be any good for business trips and I’ll need to watch out for a nearby ULEZ-type zone. But it’s a vehicle that everyone loves, does over 700 miles to a tank and I can get even more use from.

There has of course been some depreciation over the 14 months of ownership, but less than you might think. I can offset it a bit in my head because I sold another car recently for more than I bought it for. I will be putting the money back into savings, but also some into updating my fleet of bicycles - all of which get used a lot. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and Harvey

My wife went away for the night last week and, as you do when your other half of 20+ years is away, the sleep was somewhat restless. I decided I wanted to refocus my resources a little - more on bikes and holidays basically. To my surprise, it only took a few hours from dawn breaking for a deal to be done with the dealer I’d bought the car from and it was collected today.

It all happened quickly – but, as is often the case with these things, the reasons were building for some time.

I’ve enjoyed every moment actually driving this RS3. It's a dream spec and I am sure to look back on it with a scratch of a head, as well as a tear in my eye. So, why did I sell?

Firstly, this RS3 wasn't a daily driver; it was a special occasion car – used every couple of weekends to visit my parents, with just a handful of long-distance work or social trips on top. That 2023 Mini I mentioned above is a daily and, while it’s certainly not a peer car, a smaller motor like this is a much better match to what we need as a family and means I can consolidate to one.

IMG-2943.jpg

Secondly, and being completely honest with myself, having a pampered car with its own garage was a drag. I wanted the RS3 to be spotless and have the very best of it. I found myself using my precious spare moments researching, fetching the car from its off-site garage, having things done to it etc. I’m looking forward to having a little time back to dedicate to other things in my life, worrying less about keeping a car top notch.

Thirdly, I also still have our van. It’s over ten years old now but in great condition and replacing it would be non-starter for my family. It’s almost the opposite of the RS3, but it does have bags of character. So, I’m going to be using this a bit more for the time being. It won’t be any good for business trips and I’ll need to watch out for a nearby ULEZ-type zone. But it’s a vehicle that everyone loves, does over 700 miles to a tank and I can get even more use from.

There has of course been some depreciation over the 14 months of ownership, but less than you might think. I can offset it a bit in my head because I sold another car recently for more than I bought it for. I will be putting the money back into savings, but also some into updating my fleet of bicycles - all of which get used a lot. :)
Very sad to hear the RS3 has departed but totally understand why you have let it go .
Thanks for sharing your journey with it :icon thumright:

IMG-2943.jpg

Didn’t see that coming but as you rightly say there are more things to enjoy, happy family memories are priceless. Still a lovely lovely car though.
Nowt wrong with Minis either :thumbs up:

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Just seen your car on auto trader ! It’s stunning I coveted this car when it went up for sale before you purchased it , might see if I can raise the funds this time round