Going from turbo power to naturally aspirated - thoughts

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
Hi

Well my quest for the S3 replacement gathers pace and I test drove a beautiful BMW 330i M Sport today.

On paper, the remapped S3 and 330i are similar in performance. 330i does 0-60 in 6.1 and has 272bhp.

However, the 330 does not have that "push back in the seat" feeling that you get when the S3 turbo spools up. The 330 has smooth power from the moment you touch the pedal right up to the red line. But this doesn't give you that exciting lump of boost!

I was initially disappointed, but then got used to it and realised I was driving very fast just without the physical feeling, if you get my drift. The power delivery is certainly very different.

Has anyone else had this experience and do you get over it?!

Thanks

I went from a remapped A4 TDI 130 to a 330ci and im loving it.It does feel a bit sluggish lower in the revs compared to a turbo but once past 4000rpm it really pulls well.
Its sooo smooth,the engine noise is fantastic and RWD is loads of fun.

Although I'm a big fan of Audi's 1.8T engine, I'd rather have an NA engine any day of the week. There's no replacement for displacement. I was looking to get an S3 as my next car, but I've decided to get an R32 instead because IMO you can't beat the low down grunt and the sound of a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder motor. The 2.7T in the B5 S4 and A6 2.7 is an absolute gem though, V6 and two turbo's mounted in parallel. That's the ideal combination as you'd get the best of both worlds.

Also BMW's make the best engines, the 330i is a terrific car, but you may get a lot of hostility from other road users!

Ive just driven over 800 miles in 3 days in a new 320i. Was very dissapointed at first with the performance compared to my S3 but it was so smooth and refined that i would be very tempted to change. Have to be the 3 litre tho for me but would be interested to try the diesel, especially a chipped one

broomes3 said:
Ive just driven over 800 miles in 3 days in a new 320i. Was very dissapointed at first with the performance compared to my S3 but it was so smooth and refined that i would be very tempted to change. Have to be the 3 litre tho for me but would be interested to try the diesel, especially a chipped one
Hi matey,im up your way in a few weeks.Will drop you a pm and you can have a blast in my 330ci,repay the favour.:icon_thumright:

golf said:
There's no replacement for displacement.

true petrol head i like it :thumbsup:

turbo's have immense torque when the turbo kicks , but NA big engines have smooth delivery, and ability to hold a speed precisely. NA are a track weapon, turbo are fun 1/4 machines IMO

My S3 was my first Turbo car and if I ever had to choose a car for driving uphill it would be a turbo car...!

I like the 330 its very smooth a subtle!

Monkeytrousers,

NA cars can have bags of torque. The trick is finding one thats geared correctly. Most Vee's are geared to be rep barges, and have to be smooth accellerators so they dont spill their coffee or drop their mobile phones....

My corrado VR6 definitely pushed you back in your seat - WAY more than my S3 ever has done, and that had 30BHP LESS than my S3. The gearing was very long still, but despite that, it was fairly brutal in the way it delivered it. Top gear, 5th, was a cruising gear though, and it took absolutely ages to get to its top speed of 145.

Basically, unless you get a "sporty" vee, you'll be pretty bored - the in-gear motorway overtaking will be swift, but the standing starts will leave you cold. Personally though, I'd choose a vee over forced induction any day.

Im nowhere near bored with my straight six,although it doesnt have the initial torque of a turbo lower in the revs its still pulls alot of torque all the way to red line.:rockwoot:

madvw said:
Monkeytrousers,

NA cars can have bags of torque. The trick is finding one thats geared correctly. Most Vee's are geared to be rep barges, and have to be smooth accellerators so they dont spill their coffee or drop their mobile phones....

My corrado VR6 definitely pushed you back in your seat - WAY more than my S3 ever has done, and that had 30BHP LESS than my S3. The gearing was very long still, but despite that, it was fairly brutal in the way it delivered it. Top gear, 5th, was a cruising gear though, and it took absolutely ages to get to its top speed of 145.

Basically, unless you get a "sporty" vee, you'll be pretty bored - the in-gear motorway overtaking will be swift, but the standing starts will leave you cold. Personally though, I'd choose a vee over forced induction any day.

Thanks. Beautiful as the 330 was, having slept on it I am not going with it this time. Want to test a few other motors [not sure what!]. Could well come back to the 330 though as it was beautiful.

£25K tops, assuming I get £10,500 for S3.

Not looking for all out brute force performance, a nice balance of quality, image and power. S4 suits but fuel consumption would be an issue.

Dealer have reduced the price of 330 since I said "no", so I'm considering it again!

try a 330cd - you'll probably buy it there and then. Perfect car if you do alot of miles imo.

If you dont, then try a Z4 3.0

Or stretch to a nearly new 535d Twin Turbo.

I had a ride in one a few months ago, and it blew my mind for a diesel. 420 lb ft as standard :)

But yeah, the BMW petrol sixes are an absolute joy, and dummi expressed their merits perfectly :icon_thumright:

I thought the 330 CI's had 230 bhp. I have driven one found it smooth to drive was just waiting for something to happen around 3k revs & nothing. S3 feels quicker no doubt !

Depends which generation of 330. The new 2007 models are 272bhp. Actually the think the one I tested was a 2006 whic is more like 250 I think.

Well I am unsure about the BMW choice, I would like to get out at junctions! lol
However an R32 is a nice choice, if you got bored of the 3.2 then get a Rotex Supercharge bolted on! And then yeeehaaa :respekt:

monkeytrousers said:
£25K tops, assuming I get £10,500 for S3.

Not looking for all out brute force performance, a nice balance of quality, image and power. S4 suits but fuel consumption would be an issue.

Why get a boring beemer when you can have one of these?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/216964.htm

I know its a step into the unknown for many but the build quality in these cars are much improved. 400 BHP ferrari developed V8 engine and can seat four cant go wrong IMO. If your still hankering for a turbo then the earlier twin turbos 3200 are still a good buy :shug: plus you get the boomerang lights :cool:

excellent silver75 if i had the money right now that would be the car i'd have!

I've just put a depost down on the 330. Glad the decision is made. Will post pictures and stuff when I say farewell to the forum next week. Thanks for everyone's comments.