1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from a E60 535D to S4

Gavin1696 Aug 9, 2018

1. Gavin1696

Gavin1696 New Member

Good morning ,

I’m am considering buying a S4 B8 model during the coming months. I currently own a BMW e60 535d

Im sorry if all these questions have been covered before I have done a fair bit of research but I’m just after some clarification. I’m after the servicing intervals and general reliability of these engines including what to look out for. It would be my daily car covering about 20000 miles a year

I understand the supercharger drive belt needs changing roughly every 50000 miles and it’s worth doing the AUX belt at the same time?

Does the auto gearbox need serving?

The car is chain driven any chain problems or failures?

How often do you change the oil?

Any more serving advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gavin

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. forty3

forty3 Active Member

Fuel economy is way below the book figures so be prepared for a hefty fuel bill if you're doing 20k a year.

S-tronic gearbox service is every 38k miles. Can be done for a fixed price with audi of £295.

Be aware of b8's with s-tronic as the gearboxes are more prone to failing than the b8.5. You'll probably see a few for sale that have had the mechatronic unit replaced.

Servicing is like most modern cars - annually or a long life service which can last up to 2 years. With the mileage you'll be doing then I'd look to change the oil at least once (maybe twice) a year.

Not heard of any issues with the b8 chains. They can rattle for a second when started from cold but according to audi that's OK.

4. Gavin1696

Gavin1696 New Member

Thanks for your reply I’m surprised the auto gearbox needs serving so often my auto on my 535D has never been touched now on 160k BMW say sealed for life although the manufacturer ZF do say it needs servicing.

I’m not to worried about fuel costs I only get about 35mpg from my 535d

So do members prefer a manual which a presume would be mostly maintenance free?

Do you know anything about the supercharger serving ie replacing the belt

5. forty3

forty3 Active Member

Only 35mpg? Haha.

S4 gives about 18mpg around town and maybe 35mpg (if you're lucky) on a motorway run.

Most of the manual gearbox cars put out more co2 than the autos so are subject to the top rate of road tax. For some reason there are a few exceptions to this but there is no clear reason why.

Manual or auto is down to personal preference and whether you want to risk an expensive mechatronic unit failing or want to pay the higher rate of road tax.

FYI the facelift cars from 2012 are only available with the auto box and have an updated gearbox which is generally regarded as trouble free if serviced regularly.

Would have to dig out my service book to see about the supercharger belt but my car is on 70k and I don't remember seeing anything about the belt being replaced. A quick search of this forum suggests changing at 80k or every 6 years.

6. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

The two cars have very different types of gearbox. The ZF box in the BMW is a traditional torque converter automatic. And yes, although the car manufacturer will say it’s maintenance free, ZF itself does recommend periodic oil changes. I did that on the ZF box in my old B7 A4 at about 80,000 miles and it made a big improvement.

The box in the S4 you’re thinking of buying is a double-shift gearbox (DSG) with twin clutch packs that must have oil and filter changes at least every 38,000 miles. It’s part of the service schedule and therefore a warranty requirement too. Don't buy a DSG-equipped car unless you’ve got documented proof that the box has been fully serviced.

scotty76 and q5man like this.
  7. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

The gearbox in question is oB5 DL501. It was revised twice. The first version seems to have been susceptible to some serious problems. The second version was better but not fault-free. So far it appears that the third version, fitted to cars from May 2013 (as I believe), had has the problems designed out. Nevertheless dual clutch gearboxes are more sensitive to ATF quality than torque converters which is why the service intervals are shorted.