Going from a 2013 A3 to B9

Kev131

Reaction score
Website
www.131mirafiori.com
Current car is a 2013 A3 Sportback 2.0tdi SE which I've had since new. Delighted with the quality and usual Audi attributes but most of all performance and economy. Not so happy about cramped boot, road noise and jiggly ride (on 17s). I came from a Passat 1.4 TSi.

Now it's time to change and am about to order a new A4...mainly to address the downsides of the A3. Plus I just love the styling....its just like cars I used to draw as a boy.

Anyway, I'm torn on whether to choose the base 2.0TDi or whether to fork out another €2000 for the 190 version. The only freebie included is drive select and a second tail pipe. I've driven a 150 on an extended test drive and while it will accelerate quite strongly it's just not as responsive as my A3. I guess it might be the Euro 6 engines slightly strangling the power somehow......plus the extra weight. I've driven a base diesel TT and been very impressed with the grunt available ...especially when pulling away from rest.

Also can't decide between Manhatten grey, Scuba blue or Matador red. Dealer has all three in stock and its wrecking my head!

If you had haven't driven the 190 engine, I can tell you it's a stonking engine. It really surprised me how fast it was and that's coming from a 2.0tfsi driver.
I drove the 150bhp model and whilst nippy, it was no comparison to the 190. I would defiantly go for that if you can stretch to it.

I had the same problem as you in deciding colours. Scuba blue l found looked awful in poor light or when the weather was overcast. It just looks too dark and Manhattan grey I found to be also too dark and is more a solid colour as opposed to a metallic or pearlescent.
I haven't seen the red.
And be wary of the Audi B9 promotional material with the light blue cars. These are most definitely not Scuba Blue as some will lead you to believe.

I chose scuba blue originally but was not sure when I saw it actually on a car. I switched to Manhattan grey, looked great in the showroom , I think it suited the car better.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
If you thought the ride is jiggly on the a3 then have you driven the a4? I had a sline a4, with the sports suspension, for a day and it was certainly harsher than my a3 and I found myself hunting potholes in the end to try and avoid them. I was more than happy to go back to my a3 sline with sports suspension and 18" tyres as it deals with bumps much better..

The promotional cars are in Ara Blue, I have Scuba Blue at the moment and it does look good in the sun but a bit dull otherwise.

I am disappointed with the colour choices available I think they are all rather boring.

I am waiting to order Ara blue or Sepang but at the moment they are not offering exclusive colours on the A4.

If you thought the ride is jiggly on the a3 then have you driven the a4? I had a sline a4, with the sports suspension, for a day and it was certainly harsher than my a3 and I found myself hunting potholes in the end to try and avoid them. I was more than happy to go back to my a3 sline with sports suspension and 18" tyres as it deals with bumps much better..

Thanks for those insights....the A4 I drove was an SE model with Sports suspension (Ultra model) Agreed that's it's not a magic carpet but it's got a bigger car feel which I like.

If you had haven't driven the 190 engine, I can tell you it's a stonking engine. It really surprised me how fast it was and that's coming from a 2.0tfsi driver.
I drove the 150bhp model and whilst nippy, it was no comparison to the 190. I would defiantly go for that if you can stretch to it.

I had the same problem as you in deciding colours. Scuba blue l found looked awful in poor light or when the weather was overcast. It just looks too dark and Manhattan grey I found to be also too dark and is more a solid colour as opposed to a metallic or pearlescent.
I haven't seen the red.
And be wary of the Audi B9 promotional material with the light blue cars. These are most definitely not Scuba Blue as some will lead you to believe.

Really good answer ...thanks...the word stonking might convince me!! :)

The promotional cars are in Ara Blue, I have Scuba Blue at the moment and it does look good in the sun but a bit dull otherwise.

I am disappointed with the colour choices available I think they are all rather boring.

I am waiting to order Ara blue or Sepang but at the moment they are not offering exclusive colours on the A4.

I have to agree about the poor choice of colours. I don't know why they excluded a light blue colour!

I decided on Daytona Grey after being lent an A1 in that colour and loved how the colour popped and pinged in the sun.

Manhattan Grey would look good with the Privacy Glass, Black Optic Grill (when available) and black or dark alloys.

They have though a much better range than the a3, both the tango and matador reds are somewhat more interesting. However you can't go wrong with Daytona...

If you are getting an S-Line then I would definitely get Daytona grey. Mine is a Sport so couldn't have it.

Daytona is a great colour. I would have gone for it had not every other car I've owned been silver or grey, had to go for a change

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and N11KDJ
Yes would dearly love Daytona but unfortunately I'm not getting an S Line. Irish spec is different from UK plus Irish roads probably not that suitable for 18s.

Just to update this thread as car was ordered some weeks ago ....as follows...

SE, S-tronic and 190bhp.
Scuba blu with Rock grey interior.
Heated seats
HIll Hold Assist
Storage package
Badge deletion
Large fuel tank
Centre arm rest.
That's it for options... Nothing special as I spent my spare cash on the engine and transmission!

Build week 14 so should have it before the end of April.

Reactions: scotty76
What seat finish are you going for. I saw an Avant yesterday and it had the standard sline leather/cloth.
The cloth was more like a mesh sort of finish (As opposed to a table cloth finish) and to be honest wasn't all that bad

I'm going for the standard S line cloth & half leather. I saw the alcantara but you can only get it in black for the S line and I couldn't tell the difference between the two when I looked at them.

Call from Audi Limerick today...."car has arrived...did I want to come and have a look?"

Not picking it up till Sat 7th May for a few reasons but I did want to have a look and see what I thought of it in the metal. It was straight off the truck so a bit grimy but I could see my wheels and check the spec. I actually regret the wheel choice and the dealer is being very good about it and is willing swap for the standard twin spokes from another stock car. Will post up more pics when I have it on the road.....

@Kev131 I agree about the wheels, I don't like those ones. Good decision to swap and lucky your dealer is willing to do so! Otherwise it looks great :)

Reactions: Kev131
Call from Audi Limerick today...."car has arrived...did I want to come and have a look?"

Not picking it up till Sat 7th May for a few reasons but I did want to have a look and see what I thought of it in the metal. It was straight off the truck so a bit grimy but I could see my wheels and check the spec. I actually regret the wheel choice and the dealer is being very good about it and is willing swap for the standard twin spokes from another stock car. Will post up more pics when I have it on the road.....

These pictures make me want to go out and buy one and that colour seems to hide the bulkiness of the car, I actually like those wheels though. If only audi eastbourne hadn't messed me about with a, obviously, junior salesperson who talked micky mouse figures I probably wouldhave one on order by now...

Small gripe...actually it's a big one to me because I feel like I've been mugged a little. My last two A3s had central armrests with an adjustable angle. A6 also has this feature. I always had it raised to a horizontal position. On the B9 the arm rest can't be adjusted....it opens but always returns to the lowest position. I ticked the option for a "central armrest" paying more than €200 for the extra. The dealer couldn't explain what the difference compared with standard was so I took a chance. Thankfully the upgraded version is adjustable...but that's all you get for your money. Feeling a little bit ripped off....I'm sure I'll get over it but price gouging by Audi does dampen the excitement of a new car and must dent Audi's strategic ambition to be an enthusiast supplier by 2020! Metallic paint in Ireland is €1200..... €600 on a Passat.

Wierd, the armrest is standard in the uk spec (sorry!):

"Front Centre armrest - Can be moved forwards/backwards for a comfortable and relaxed seating position. Angle adjustable, or can be fully folded to the rear. With fold-open storage compartment and two 12V sockets in the centre console"

Wonder why they put differences like that in for different countries? Wouldn't it be easier for them to make them all the same?

Liking the colour blue you have gone for, although I've selected glacier white as i think it enhances the privacy glass option I have also gone for. I'm also in same position as you currently having an A3 sport back sport Tfsi in black. Really loved the car and especially the cod engine which is very smooth, quite nippy and pretty economical. However, with a growing family decided we needed a bigger car and boot, so was pleasantly surprised when visiting the dealers to find out we could afford an s line Tfsi A4 on Pcp. Can't wait for delivery now although it sounds like it's going to be at least 3 months.

If you have any more insights to life with the new A4 compared to the A3 then would be great to hear them.

Timetable for today..

9.0 Breakfast
9.15 Last minute study
11.0 Break to post this
11.01 Back to Study
12.0 Drive to exam hall in A3
12.30 Sit exam
3.0 Leave exam hall and get into A3 and drive to Audi Limerick.
3.30 Depart Audi Limerick in new A4....left the best bit till the end. :)

Reactions: Scottyg, h1r4, N11KDJ and 3 others
The day all went to plan although I dont know my results yet!

Handover took about an hour with the paperwork and demonstrations. A few nice freebies included a litre of engine oil, a large bottle of emergency Ad Blue and a gift set of USB stick, dust cap covers, etc. Plus two Audi key rings. Diesel tank was filled but I'll need Ad Blue in about 3000kms.

Unfortunately the weather was horrible so the car was picked up from the workshop where it was still dry. Compared with the A3, it feels like two classes above...I guess part of that is because this is my first Auto. Have driven about 100 gentle kms so far, observing running in guidelines.... and first impressions are in the main very positive. Refinement, comfort, quality, handling, wet road grip (225/50/17s) and just interfacing with the car can't be faulted. I love the paddles on the steering wheel although I guess that'll become redundant in time......using them automatically switches from D to M so you dont have to use the gear selector first. One thing that I was apprehensive about was when pootling along in Efficiency mode and then needing maximum power, the drive select button is quite far away - optimised for LHD I guess. Dealer explained that pulling the gear shift back gets the same outcome...but later I also discovered a programmable short cut button on the steering wheel that can do the same thing. Nice.

The MMI and central buttons are so intuitive...you wont need the handbook. *** is fine for radio, CD or IPOD, although radio seems best (no DAB). The dealer was very helpful in agreeing to swap the wheels and I'm really glad they did - The twin spokes look so much better to me.

I ordered the larger fuel tank (54/55 litres) but the range on the dash is saying 540kms when full. That doesn't seem right to me so I'll be watching that closely.

Any regrets...? Probably should have specified the sports seats, auto wipers and adjustable head rests. But they are small items and I'll get used to living without them. It's still a toss up whether Manhattan grey would have suited me better but I'm very satisfied with the light grey/rock grey interior. It tones down that giant slab of aluminium trim that seems to dominate darker interiors.....unless you pay extra for different trim.

It's a very nice place to be in the dark. The ambient lighting combined with the dashboard lights suggest that you are in a very special car.....everything is very clearly but unobtrusively illuminated.

Here are some pics from yesterday ..and a brighter today.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishA4B9, hedgehog and Scottyg
Like the grey interior contrast against the external blue, looks great