Going clunk hunting....

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
OK, so not going clunk hunting per se, however I do intend to be clunk fixing....

I now have *most* of the parts needed to complete this task..

I am still waiting on my poly bush for the rack, after 2 weeks. I won't be ordering anything from the ebay seller rude racing ever again.

Anyway:

1.jpg

19mm ARB bushes

2.jpg

New subframe. 1 of the new bushes is fitted, the other is awaiting fitment...

3.jpg

My new cheapo, povvo coilies from egay. A total massive cost of £175 delivered from Belgium. If I'm being honest, they actually look and feel very good - I'm not sure what to make of them however I guess fitting them will be the test.

And so the fun begins. I will keep this updated.

Lol good luck dude, I shall be paying attention to this :(

Yep good luck with that little lot...i would make sure the adjusters on the shocks are well greased after fitting....as they have an habit of siezing and ruining the c spanner

Yep good luck with that little lot...i would make sure the adjusters on the shocks are well greased after fitting....as they have an habit of siezing and ruining the c spanner

Good advice that dude. I've got some spray copper slip which I plan to use for that.

I'm quite confident that the clunk will be destroyed once all this is done....

I really do hope so, as I can't see what else it can be. I will inspect the lower arm bushes etc at subframe swap - but they are all fine, as they have been changed.

Naaaaa, they aren't that bad!

Subframe should be easy enough, just unbolting everything, and dropping it off leaving the rack in situ. Change the bush on the rack whilst it floats in mid air (supported of course). ARB bushes etc will be done whilst the frame is off. Swap everything over. Bolt back on.

Shocks, OK the fronts are a pain to get out, but they've been out recently so should be reasonable. Rear springs and shock are a doddle.

Rude racing have been very good to me. I'm guessing they dont have it in stock, have they been on good contact?
One sort of question/word of warning, the bracket that holds the rack to subframe, not the bush side the other side, is it alloy? In fact is the steering rack bush one alloy too? Because they seem to want to tighten forever, so much so when i changed mine I stopped in fear of stripping threads, it doesnt feel nice at all.

Rude racing have been very good to me. I'm guessing they dont have it in stock, have they been on good contact?

No contact at all. Not impressed. I've messaged twice now and had no response.

One sort of question/word of warning, the bracket that holds the rack to subframe, not the bush side the other side, is it alloy? In fact is the steering rack bush one alloy too? Because they seem to want to tighten forever, so much so when i changed mine I stopped in fear of stripping threads, it doesnt feel nice at all.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, not a nice feeling, and they just never seem to go tight.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, not a nice feeling, and they just never seem to go tight.

Do you think I was right to just leave it when it got so far then? It's somethin I doubt all the time, like whether it will loosen. It's not so far like but i just want it to nip up tight.

Do you think I was right to just leave it when it got so far then? It's somethin I doubt all the time, like whether it will loosen. It's not so far like but i just want it to nip up tight.

Hmmmm, hard to say. I'll let you know what I find when fitting the new ones.

I ordered a superpro steering rack bush on sunday and it arrived today from c&r enterprises (just fitted it and waiting on new subframe to arrive).....could always do that and send the other one back when it arrives.

I ordered a superpro steering rack bush on sunday and it arrived today from c&r enterprises (just fitted it and waiting on new subframe to arrive).....could always do that and send the other one back when it arrives.

I've found them on the bay, but they only seem to sell Powerflex. That's fine as it's what I want anyway. I've told rude ******* that if they don't get back to me by 1400 then I will open a Paypal dispute.

I dont think he's started the hunting yet. Sure he said this weekend.

Yeah, well going to try and make a start tonight and then carry on next week whilst the woman is away on holiday ideally.

I cancelled the order from Rude Racing in the end and bought one from another seller. Disappointed in the service. Shocking. Took days to reply to messages.

They live up to their name then :) Good luck with it all. I'll have to do this at some stage. My 205 felt awesome with all new bushes/suspension.

Yeah, well going to try and make a start tonight and then carry on next week whilst the woman is away on holiday ideally.

I cancelled the order from Rude Racing in the end and bought one from another seller. Disappointed in the service. Shocking. Took days to reply to messages.

Were did you get the subframe bushes from? I'm swapping my frame over so may as well put new ones in at the same time.

OK peoples, coilovers are on. Having not been able to make it to inters I thought I would at least do something useful this weekend, and managed to get on on Saturday night.

So, what are my thoughts on the purchase and installation of cheapo, povvo coilovers??

They are excellent. Really REALLY impressed:

Fitting - easy as pie. Perfect fit both front and back. Usual issues with strut extraction, but meh.

Ride - A little hard, but not at all crashy as I was expecting. Very responsive to bumps and crests in the road. Has, if I'm honest, made the car feel better on the road than it ever has. In all fairness, all the gear that came off was completely shot.. Front and back shocks are both dead as dead can be. 1 of the rear springs was broken as well.

Handling - Epic, frankly. Really very impressive indeed. Feels like it's on rails, and the tyres let go far before the suspension.

Conclusion - For the money, brilliant frankly. Would I recommend them? Hell yes. Impressed beyond belief considering all the bad things I had heard about them.

Lastly - has it got rid of the clunk?

Nope. :mad:

i assume you haven't done the subframe and rack bushes yet? Still think its related to the rack and fixings to the subframe... should be obvious witness marks from all the clunking...

Thats what it felt like when driving it that time... would onlyu clunk when loaded up turning or with some degree of sideways force to a road wheel but not do it again until I turned in the other way... like it was shifting from side to side...

<tuffty/>

i assume you haven't done the subframe and rack bushes yet? Still think its related to the rack and fixings to the subframe... should be obvious witness marks from all the clunking...

Thats what it felt like when driving it that time... would onlyu clunk when loaded up turning or with some degree of sideways force to a road wheel but not do it again until I turned in the other way... like it was shifting from side to side...

<tuffty/>

Yarp, and I agree. Either that or the rack is shot - but I don't think thats the case. No play.

The Rack poly bush isn't here yet - wish it would hurry up.

Damn that clunk mate!

Time will tell how good the coil overs are. I've heard of sets of other coilovers packing in within a year.

Whilst I agree with you mate, I've also heard the same of more expensive brands to be fair.

It's swings and roundabouts.

Wow I'm impressed with your feedback on the coilies. I guess the important thing is will they stand the test of time, or will they be dead in a year. I'm so contemplating cheap ones, but hmmmm.

As for the clunk, unlucky, are all your bushes and subframe etc fitted? What an ***.

Wow I'm impressed with your feedback on the coilies. I guess the important thing is will they stand the test of time, or will they be dead in a year. I'm so contemplating cheap ones, but hmmmm.

As for the clunk, unlucky, are all your bushes and subframe etc fitted? What an ***.

I did my subframe (tt one of ebay) and new poly bush on rack and all felt good until my rear tie bar snapped. Clonk had defo gone.....I will report back once i get a replacement bar/new bars sorted for rear. Hopefully my clonk will stay gone. Subframe change on the driveway is a pain though.

Man I remember you going on about this clunking when I first joined audisport. It's obviously not going up for sale just yet then

Man I remember you going on about this clunking when I first joined audisport. It's obviously not going up for sale just yet then

LOL, the more work I do, the better it drives, the less I want to sell it....

Annoyingly pone of the ABS sensors has bought it though. Most likely from being disturbed. Boooo.

Its ok, just have to make sure that the new rack bush is seated properly, very tight fit...I used a g clamp on the pas bolt above, worked a treat. I also left the driver side arb bolt loose, this allowed for a little movement. Everything else was ok'ish. Good luck.