Glovebox Hinge Repair

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
As we all know this is a common failure on the A4 - caused by the damper becoming stiff over time and placing extra strain on the hinge. A new glovebox is in the region of £150, but the hinge can be repaired.

Firstly remove glovebox consists of three bolts along the top, and two underneath, and then disconnect light at plug - No pics sorry but it's a doddle!

The removed glovebox will look like this:

Glovebox003.jpg

Turn the glovebox upside down and remove these pins. This is infact ridiculously hard! It took me ages to wiggle them free using molegrips and a screwdriver as leverage. It is possible to mend the hinge without removing the lid, but I wanted to make sure I had good access to do it as strongly as possible:

Glovebox005edit.jpg

It chews up the pin and surrounding area a bit, it looks bad here but can be tidied up, and the whole area is out of sight anyway:

Glovebox007.jpg

And this is the broken hinge:

Glovebox009.jpg

I made a bracket from an old kitchen door hinge, but any suitable piece of metal will do. Its a bit fiddly to bend it the exact shape, but worth persevering:

Glovebox010.jpg

I chose to glue it and screw it to be sure:

Glovebox011.jpg

Glovebox refitted:

Glovebox018.jpg

The culprit behind all this is this damper, the pictures show it in position both closed and extended.

Glovebox014.jpg

Glovebox015.jpg

I chose to take the damper barrel apart and inside is an O ring which governs the resistance inside the barrel. Using a Stanley knife I trimmed about 2mm from all round the outside. This allows it slide much easier but still offer some resistance. At the very least ensure it's been well lubricated (Credit to Marc1 for that tip).

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiholic and therat
Should make this a Sticky judging by the amount that have suffered it.
Good post James :arco:

Reactions: craig allen
Yes i realise this is an old thread. bumping it others to see. This has happened to me today, so glad ive found this and dont have to buy a new glovebox!

Thanks
Shaun

Doesn't look the best I have to say, I did it a different way:

Then filled the top of the hole with black silicone and it doesn't stand out as much :p

Thanks very much.

Don't get me wrong, but should have done something to make it look a little genuine, well it's still definitely better than getting a new glovebox for like 150 quid or whatever they are

Its also an issue for 8P's, infact allot of them, both my 8P's had to have a repair done, I used epoxy & some nails drilled in to both pieces to hold it in position as such, some grease inside the braking element (barrel) does the trick with maybe the addition of rubbing the rubber seal inside the barrel with some say 4-800 grade sandpaper to make it less tight.

As long as its not too hairy or smells of fish then all good :)

thanks james! been waiting months for a black glovebox for mine from my local audi vw scrapyard! they want £45 when they get one in!!! not anymore tho thanks to you! be doing it myself! as for not looking genuine does anybody really give a **** what the inside of your glovebox looks like???

Ah - someone else who doesn't drive around with their glovebox down!

;)

That's three of us then hahaha it's fixed it works JOB DONE.

Cheers James, mine went the other week. Need to sort it.

I am looking to repair mine on an '06 B7 Cab but it appears to have wires running through the hinge- any thoughts

Its the switch for the internal light, it's built into the damper.

Yes i see that but mine also has 2 wires passing therough the actual hinge

Got a pic?

Maybe someone has added the glovebox handle illumination mod by a germany company, cause thats how I did my own.

Ok these are a little clearer
See the red and green wires below the poston
P1010125.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010123.jpg

Hmm that is a bit strange! All I can think of is the illumination mod as mentioned by NHN. Does the handle light up at all?

Yeah thats very weird, as I cant see anything in the wiring or parts to indicate another circuit, whats that yellowy plastic thing below the wires & behind the hinge.

Thats what the wires plug into. Defo not lit up
I have the glovebox pass airbag switch- anything to do with that?

Huh, can you get any side views/closeups of that part?

Ok here goes- not too easy to get into(as above I do have a 2006 B7)Hope i am ok posting off forum as it were.
It is wired off the original loom- all looks original not a retro fit
P1010127.jpg

P1010128.jpg

Its strange cause it says in etka brake element with lid light, remind me where the light is in the B6/7 glovebox as I cant remember, if you unplug it does the light stop working?

Yes light still works (ins in the roof of the glovebox r/h side towards the back)
P1010129.jpg

Thats definitely oem as I recognise the connector, but whats it connected to, got me intrigued now, gonna go check wiring schematics.

Ok ta.
this has really scuppered my idea of a DIY fix for the hinge.

Do those 2 wires go to the glovebox 12 pin connector thats behind the glovebox & if so which pin numbers?

Cant see as of yet have not had the whole box out.
If I took it out what would I ned to do about the Passenger air bag switch, this is intergral on my glovebox
Only had the car 1 week the good lady's not too keen on me ripping it apart

Im guessing if its not glovebox interior light it could be the footwell light ?

I was also thinking its linked to the passenger footwell light, but nothing shows this in elsa, if you can remove the glovebox & tell us where the wires goto then I can certain trace these in elsa.

I still reckon you can fix the hinge, glovebox has to come out anyway.

I dont have footwell lights.
I will take the glovebox out but what about the passenger air bag switch?
Bit worried I will cause a fault if I dont know what I am doing.
Going to se a friend of Thursday whou owns a car radio shop locally- hope he may have a fix

Unless you disconnect the connector then the airbag light wont come on, so just tell us where wires goto etc & pin numbers along with pics would be good.

I would really need to disconnect the wire as the switch is an intergral part of the glovebox