Gloss black chrome exhaust tips

Ian Wateridge

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to change the exhaust tips from standard chrome to black chrome but am not having much luck! Anybody managed to achieve this? Other work arounds suggested were plastic coating, but mixed reports on finish and longevity, and high temp paint but not sure I'd get a great finish. Or are they suitable for wrapping? There's plenty of round aftermarket ones but obviously don't fit the S3 being oval! Audi actually make them for some models, but not ours! Any help / pics greatly appreciated!

I picked up an extra set of exhaust tips from a forum member who had purchased an aftermarket exhaust. Took them to a local chrome plating shop and they removed the chrome. Then I had them powder coated gloss black. It’s been 4 years now and they still look new . Very easy to clean too !

Reactions: Ian Wateridge
The tips on the S3 come off (plenty of posts on this forum explaining how to do this, as this question has been asked plenty of times).

I done this and had them powder coated black by a local company, I only had the car for around 8 months after doing this but even so the finish was still like brand new.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ian Wateridge
I picked up an extra set of exhaust tips from a forum member who had purchased an aftermarket exhaust. Took them to a local chrome plating shop and they removed the chrome. Then I had them powder coated gloss black. It’s been 4 years now and they still look new . Very easy to clean too !
Thanks for that! Do you have a close up picture you could post. I’m a bit Precious about it so would like to see some end results. Thank you!

The tips on the S3 come off (plenty of posts on this forum explaining how to do this, as this question has been asked plenty of times).

I done this and had them powder coated black by a local company, I only had the car for around 8 months after doing this but even so the finish was still like brand new.

Thank you! I took them off at the beginning of lockdown so they’re all cleaned up ready to go. Do you have a close up picture you could post so I can compare the end result? Thanks again.

Thank you! I took them off at the beginning of lockdown so they’re all cleaned up ready to go. Do you have a close up picture you could post so I can compare the end result? Thanks again.
Can't find many from my archives, this site sucks at HQ uploads so best I can manage
ca5e5e5cecc785937f507dc0fdbb2e39.jpg