Ginge's build

Ginge247

Reaction score
IMAG0090_1_zpsef07c1fd.jpg

Just started a few little mods on the tdi. Car is a 2007 3.0tdi quattro in deep sea blue. I've had it about 5 weeks and it's been eventful so far. Had a creaking noise on the steering at low speeds and only when the car was hot, eventually after 3 weeks and 2 different garages it was sorted. So now I've started to do a few improvements. First off I've modified the air box by taking out the flap valve at the bottom so it's getting cold air from the front and bottom all the time, and fitted a pipercross panel filter.
IMAG0088_zps005a33c1.jpg

IMAG0087_zps77f76099.jpg

IMAG0087_zps77f76099.jpg

Intercooler, exhaust and remap coming soon

Last edited:
notice any improvement mate?

I've heard the intake doesn't do much to the 3.0TDi but my remap is next week so maybe this could be next...

Intercooler sorted
IMAG0092_1_zpsblc9kiru.jpg

IMAG0094_zpslrigsoa2.jpg

Thanks to Karl's thread I decided to go for the mishimoto j line in black, I've had a few aftermarket intercoolers in the past for other cars and this seems a well made bit of kit.

Reactions: desertstorm
Have you found the exhaust to be much louder than normal, I find when I have the valve open on mine making it essentially straight through as yours is at around 1900-2000 RPM there is quite a bit of a resonance, nice for a bit, but on the motorway that is around 75mph and it can get a bit tiresome . Could well be because when the valve is open the exhaust is venting under the car so that will amplify any issues.
You need to lose the 3.0 and quattro badges off the boot. Just keep the TDI one :) .

Have you found the exhaust to be much louder than normal, I find when I have the valve open on mine making it essentially straight through as yours is at around 1900-2000 RPM there is quite a bit of a resonance, nice for a bit, but on the motorway that is around 75mph and it can get a bit tiresome . Could well be because when the valve is open the exhaust is venting under the car so that will amplify any issues.
You need to lose the 3.0 and quattro badges off the boot. Just keep the TDI one :) .
Haha Yeh my m8 says I should stick the 1.9 on , even tho it didn't come with engine I know, would still be amusing. Exhaust wise yes I know what you mean, however it doesn't bother me as my previous focus st had the full dp 3" back exhaust with section 59 system, that physically made my ears hurt after about an hour on the motorway at about 75!

What exhaust did you go for, looks good. I'd change that rear bumper though as the new diffuser looks meaner.

Also what map are you going to have?

Would be interesting to get standard, pre map and post map dyno's as well,

Monday won't come soon enough I bet.

Re the badges - understand the 3.0 delete; but why the Quattro (Gene Hunt would not be impressed)?

What exhaust did you go for, looks good. I'd change that rear bumper though as the new diffuser looks meaner.

Also what map are you going to have?

Would be interesting to get standard, pre map and post map dyno's as well,

Monday won't come soon enough I bet.

Re the badges - understand the 3.0 delete; but why the Quattro (Gene Hunt would not be impressed)?
The exhaust is custom made, as for the remap the tuner uses sedox and revo software and does before and after runs. I don't mind the rear bumper, I have looked for an aftermarket diffuser to fit on but I can't seem to fit any unless I want the quad exhaust tips, which I don't. Wheel spacers, h&r springs, and some new brake pads are next anyway m8.

That tuner sounds like one I contacted last year when looking to get my car mapped. The place was called Sedox Performance UK and now seems to be trading as the Performance centre In Sunderland. I had a bit of an E-mail exchange with Mark who is/was a garage manager according to the E-mails I have just found from last year.
Only thing that put me off about that place apart from the distance from me was that they do seem to change there name quite a bit and seem to have some historic bad press on some of the forums. Think they used to be known as PDT before they were Sedox.
Then again there seem to be a lot of people happy with what they do.
Just had a look on the Sedox home site and I can see why they have changed their name as they aren't shown as a Sedox reseller or dealer.
They now seem to do Revo and Richter maps.
Richter map is 60bhp and 100Lb/ft of torque and Revo stage 2 is shown as 315 - 335 bhp and 450-470 Lb/ft of torque.

Which map are you getting ? .

Karl.

That tuner sounds like one I contacted last year when looking to get my car mapped. The place was called Sedox Performance UK and now seems to be trading as the Performance centre In Sunderland. I had a bit of an E-mail exchange with Mark who is/was a garage manager according to the E-mails I have just found from last year.
Only thing that put me off about that place apart from the distance from me was that they do seem to change there name quite a bit and seem to have some historic bad press on some of the forums. Think they used to be known as PDT before they were Sedox.
Then again there seem to be a lot of people happy with what they do.
Just had a look on the Sedox home site and I can see why they have changed their name as they aren't shown as a Sedox reseller or dealer.
They now seem to do Revo and Richter maps.
Richter map is 60bhp and 100Lb/ft of torque and Revo stage 2 is shown as 315 - 335 bhp and 450-470 Lb/ft of torque.

Which map are you getting ? .

Karl.
That's them m8. I know exactly what u mean about the name changing, it put me off. There are a couple of lads I know that have had their 2.7s mapped there and they did a good job. I haven't picked a map, if he does it probably he should be able to map to what I want on the day, which is the most it can safely make and still be reliable. So fingers crossed.

The reason I went to Unicorn is Rick writes all the maps himself. he doesn't have to fire it off to some bod in Germany who tweaks it and sends it back. My brief to Rick was get as much out of it as you can whilst still keeping it reliable. And thats what he did.

Karl.

The reason I went to Unicorn is Rick writes all the maps himself. he doesn't have to fire it off to some bod in Germany who tweaks it and sends it back. My brief to Rick was get as much out of it as you can whilst still keeping it reliable. And thats what he did.

Karl.
Yeh guys like Rick seem to be a dying breed. I dunno if you have heard of Dave walker from emerald? I had a R6 throttle bodied saxo vts track car with the emerald ecu and travelled all the way from here (Durham) to norfolk on several occasions for mapping and tweaking, but I didn't mind the travel cos I knew it would be done right, by one of the best. Like you said before some of the reviews for the old sedox place are crap, but the performance centre ones seem good, so we'll see. Hopefully I catch them on a good day!

That is a good trip, Not heard of Dave Walker but from speaking to Rick he does a lot off custom stuff, indeed I think he rather likes the challenge of the more unusual jobs. From his web site.
"We can map virtually all ECU’s, both aftermarket and OEM. These include OMEX, DTA, Motec, Life, LINK, Megasquirt, Emrald and many more, as well as carrying out highly accurate power runs."

[QUOTE="I don't mind the rear bumper, I have looked for an aftermarket diffuser to fit on but I can't seem to fit any unless I want the quad exhaust tips, which I don't want[/QUOTE]

Mine has a non quad exhaust but looks good.

[QUOTE="I don't mind the rear bumper, I have looked for an aftermarket diffuser to fit on but I can't seem to fit any unless I want the quad exhaust tips, which I don't want

Mine has a non quad exhaust but looks good.[/QUOTE]
Which one you got m8? S line?

Well back from the performance centre and I'm happy. Car made 230hp and 420lbft with standard map and the final tuned result is 304.6hp and 525lbft.
IMAG0112_zpsa0uqkqcr.jpg

Looks good, very similar numbers to what I got. can you tell the difference ;) .

karl.

Did you end up doing the same as they did at MRC, They disconnected the ABS module main connector. That fixed the problem.
The fact that the power goes further up the rev range is part of the appeal of a remap, most diesels give up around 4400 RPM.
I find the only issue with it going to higher RPM is that the fall off is quite marked when you do get to the red line so it feels as if you have hit a wall if you end up holding it in a gear a little too long.

Did you end up doing the same as they did at MRC, They disconnected the ABS module main connector. That fixed the problem.
The fact that the power goes further up the rev range is part of the appeal of a remap, most diesels give up around 4400 RPM.
I find the only issue with it going to higher RPM is that the fall off is quite marked when you do get to the red line so it feels as if you have hit a wall if you end up holding it in a gear a little too long.
Did one more run then they were gunna do that m8, but after adjusting the roller straps it managed to hang on lol.

Finally fitted my h&r sport springs and 20mm rear spacers and 15mm on the front. I put new top mounts and Sachs super touring dampers on the front as well seen as I noticed among my receipts that Audi only changed 1 damper a few years ago but left the other even though they should always be changed in pairs! Cowboys
IMAG0185 1

IMAG0178
found this the other day which is rather disturbing! Obviously been like that since I bought it. Hopefully it's just blades that are damaged.

Turbo off ready for strip down and send off. Has a fair bit shaft play as well so good job really.

Attachments

• IMAG0201_1.jpg
    IMAG0201_1.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 430
Drive V belt looking sorry for its self. So decided to change it along with the water pump and tensioner. What a carry on!

Attachments

• IMAG0265_1.jpg
    IMAG0265_1.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 454
  • IMAG0263_1_1.jpg
    IMAG0263_1_1.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 402
Tensioner and water pump pulley wheel off but rain has halted play, so its gunna have to wait

Attachments

• IMAG0268_1.jpg
    IMAG0268_1.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 422
New water pump, belt and tensioner fitted, finally! My cannabis smell has disappeared as well, so it must have been the old belt! Haha

Attachments

• IMAG0273_1.jpg
    IMAG0273_1.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 491
Fancied a change from the silver so decided on Honda urban titanium. Looks a bit dull in the photos but it does shine nicely when the sun is out.

Attachments

• IMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 395
  • IMAG0315_1.jpg
    IMAG0315_1.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 506
S5 caliper brackets fitted with the new 345mm discs. New TRW pads (Audi) fitted, what a massive difference compared to the cheap pads that were on.

Attachments

• IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 395
  • IMAG0374_1_1.jpg
    IMAG0374_1_1.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 385
I got bored so made a new induction setup. I know the standard air box is decent but I wanted a bigger filter with larger intake pipe work. I had a very similar setup on my focus st turbo and it worked very well.

Attachments

• IMAG0411_1.jpg
    IMAG0411_1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 831
  • IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 532
Reactions: shadow1993 and cav1
Kept bringing up the p2020 code with my foxwell Nt500. The pic is bank 2 inlet, loads of play on the flaps as well. Sorted it with a new kit off eBay, all cleaned out and cleared the code. What a f@#k on removing the manifolds tho!!

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 488