Gfb dv+ review

maxdrz400

Reaction score
Ok guys so just thought id write a quick review on how im getting on with my new dv+ incase anyones looking at buying one themselves.

So i brought the part of ebay from the AMD store, it came very well packaged and at a good price imo £97.80.

Fitting was a piece of **** once i got the old dv out, lt took about 30 seconds to install the new part.

My old dv was a rev c which i was hoping would be damaged so id feel the benefit of the new one, but unfortunatly it looked fine, which was abit disapointing as i was hoping to gain a small but of power.

After install i noticed an instant sound change when shifting at around 2k, my old dv was making a sound similar to that of an external wastegate, just a lot quieter, the new one is alot quieter, and has more of a high pitch sound.

As for driving, this thing is amazing! what it has actually done i do not know, but my car seems to have a much smoother power delivery from the turbo coming in, all the way to the red line, and feels like its got more torque (maybee there was an issue with the old part) at 2k if you plant your foot the car just takes off and pulls much harder and progressively.
There is alot more throttle response and the car seems to feel consistantly powerfull, before it would sometimes feel fast and sometimes not it was almost luck of the draw, where now it feels like there is just power there on tap whenever you need it.

I installed the "main spring" too which is supposed to help hold boost better, all ive noticed is that if im short shifting, it doesnt seem to fall on its face so much when you shift, and the power is constantly there.

In short for the money im over the moon, and would highly recomend it for anyone considering one.
The main selling point for me was that they do not fail like the oem parts so in the long run it will even save you a few quid.

Next on my list is a stage 1 map to see what thats like!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
this is interesting.

the way you describe how your car felt before is how mine feels, seems like im playing boost roulette, some days I have and some days I feel like theres no turbo. also seem to take a while to pick up when accelerating from low revs in 2nd and 3rd.

Ive changed my DV to the revised one but I may need to look into getting a DV+.

Yes thats exactly what mine was like, 3rd and 4th were pretty much useless untill you hit around 4k, now in 4th you can feel it pulling quite hard from just under 2k. The response is almost instant now from low revs, dont get me wrong it doesnt just take off but it pulls confidently which it didnt before and you can really feel the torque.

What fuel are you using? I found that could make a difference to mine feeling gutless, mine runs best on shell v power and bp ultimate.

i may have to invest in this part then mate.

I use v power too.

Yeah its worth a shot mate, as i said above, i could justify it because its not prone to fail so i wouldnt have to worry about it again.
Also from what i had read and it said in the gfb paper work, that although the newer revisions are more reliable and last longer, they dont always seal as well from new and some are apparently terrible for leaking.
The dv+ apparently seals better than all of the oem parts and also doesnt fail. Its a win win!

well that's sounds like good news chap, the OEM DV's can be problematic, not so much the newer ones but the old items are deffo a bin job.
I was going to go this route aswell before my turbo went south , but audi fitted all new valves with the turbo so I didn't see the point at the time.
the newer revision valves are a big improvement to be honest but not having tried a gfb one I can really compare the two.
I do agree with you on the performance aswell, when you get a 2.0tfsi running nicely , they go like stink , mine pulls like a total train in 3rd all the way from low to high rpm, and rapid is putting it mildly, all gears are great (1st not included) but 2nd right through it really shifts, foot down and its actions stations everytime, but can be a nice easy drive too with a soft right foot...lol.
the 2.0tfsi has got to be one of the best 2.0ltr turbo engines around, and with some sensible mapping even better.

anyway nice write up chap, lookforward to your mapping update.

rob

Reactions: Dani_B19
Yeah its worth a shot mate, as i said above, i could justify it because its not prone to fail so i wouldnt have to worry about it again.
Also from what i had read and it said in the gfb paper work, that although the newer revisions are more reliable and last longer, they dont always seal as well from new and some are apparently terrible for leaking.
The dv+ apparently seals better than all of the oem parts and also doesnt fail. Its a win win!

Just need to pull you up one this fella so people don't get mis informed, none of the genuine DV+ it's only the copies that leak/faulty etc. If you buy a DV+ then only buy direct from GFB or AMD, if it's cheap and new, it's cheap as its a copy.

Sorry Danni, i was refering to the oem dvs, not the dv+
Ive read alot about the rev d not sealing as well as the rev c, although the c is weaker and more prone to failure, apparently it seals better but cant take the added boost from a remap.
Ive read they all have their positives and negatives except the dv+ which all positive, which is why i wanted to go down that route.

Yes Rob i totally agree, the 2.0t fsi is an incredibly quick motor. ive had my car nearly 2 years now and was always quite disapointed with the power and delivery until now, it was never slow, just not quite what i had expected. But now i just cant stop smiling!!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Dani_B19
No worries fella, my bad but it is worth noting about the fakes that are going round at the minute which is a shame as its slightly tarnished the GFB DV+, I'd have bought one but I couldn't justify the cost at the time I needed a new one.

Sorry Danni, i was refering to the oem dvs, not the dv+
Ive read alot about the rev d not sealing as well as the rev c, although the c is weaker and more prone to failure, apparently it seals better but cant take the added boost from a remap.
Ive read they all have their positives and negatives except the dv+ which all positive, which is why i wanted to go down that route.

Yes Rob i totally agree, the 2.0t fsi is an incredibly quick motor. ive had my car nearly 2 years now and was always quite disapointed with the power and delivery until now, it was never slow, just not quite what i had expected. But now i just cant stop smiling!!

yep, it will be 2 years for me also on the 10 june...

So now that you have been won over by your A4 B7, whats the next plan.
I really enjoy driving my old bus now, normal daytime driving just doesn't permit any what I would call " proper driving conditions " anymore, but , what I have started doing now is this.
On alternate sunday mornings , I get up at the crack of dawn 5.00am ish and take the old girl for a good old blast through the country side (wether permitting of corse) road, I know some cracking drives , sometimes go down through sussex , or down into Hampshire and into Wiltshire back via Stonehenge etc , maybe down past longleat and back home for mid morning breaky.
you can really have a cracking drive at early times on sundays, drive the car how it was meant to be driven, none of this pottling around town stuff.

I'd go every sunday , but I take the bikes for a blast as well so has to be alternate.

rob

Reactions: maxdrz400
+ 1 for the DV+ had it on mine for a good while and it is well worth the money.
Mine gives a hell of a turbo chatter sound as its combined with an open cone air intake &silicone intake pipe ;)

Reactions: Sean_ and maxdrz400
T
No worries fella, my bad but it is worth noting about the fakes that are going round at the minute which is a shame as its slightly tarnished the GFB DV+, I'd have bought one but I couldn't justify the cost at the time I needed a new one.
to be honest mate id never heard of the fakes until now, thankfully mine came from amd.

yep, it will be 2 years for me also on the 10 june...

So now that you have been won over by your A4 B7, whats the next plan.
I really enjoy driving my old bus now, normal daytime driving just doesn't permit any what I would call " proper driving conditions " anymore, but , what I have started doing now is this.
On alternate sunday mornings , I get up at the crack of dawn 5.00am ish and take the old girl for a good old blast through the country side (wether permitting of corse) road, I know some cracking drives , sometimes go down through sussex , or down into Hampshire and into Wiltshire back via Stonehenge etc , maybe down past longleat and back home for mid morning breaky.
you can really have a cracking drive at early times on sundays, drive the car how it was meant to be driven, none of this pottling around town stuff.

I'd go every sunday , but I take the bikes for a blast as well so has to be alternate.

rob
I really have fallen inlove with her again now!
A friend at work has started doing mobile remaps and ive heard quite positive things from people hes done, he only charges £150 so at that price i think il give it a go, ive always fancied a 'proper' map but struggle to justify the cost.
My exhaust has started blowing, but im trying to hold off on that at the moment due to the cost, luckily i can get reasonably friendly MOT's within reason, but in the next year or so il be getting a custom cat back.
And at some point i want to get some lowering springs to close up some of the wheel gap, im on s line shocks and springs currently but would idealy like to go slightly lower.
I was also looking at the cupra r splitter but not sure it will stand out particualy as the cars black.

Sounds like you live in a lovely part of the country to go for drives, im in south east kent, theres a few nice roads but they are riddled with potholes unfortunatly which spoils the fun.
Although i do have a 15 mile commute to work and work nights every other week, so like you said basicly get the road to myself to give her a good clear out when driving home at 5am.

I read unfortunately bad things about them, R-Tech tested them and the oem DV is better on higher boost. And also lots of fake Chinese one out there.

Good write up dude. I would agree with you, my car was the exact same. When I first bought it I knew it was down on power - especially after coming from a MK5 GTI which I'd recently changed to the piston DV. So after hearing good reviews on the DV+ I went and bought one, fitted it and it made a massive difference, the car was finally holding boost! Only fitted an OEM S2000 cone air filter and the turbo noise coupled with a nice blow off sound has transformed the sound of the car. I have gotten it stage 1 mapped and she's no slouch now either. Only thing is you can get bored of the power and will always want more, now I'm looking down the Hybird turbo route! :D

+ 1 for the DV+ had it on mine for a good while and it is well worth the money.
Mine gives a hell of a turbo chatter sound as its combined with an open cone air intake &silicone intake pipe ;)

Just out of interest, where did you get your silcone intake pipe? I want one for mine but the only place I've seen them for sale was the US.

Just out of interest, where did you get your silcone intake pipe? I want one for mine but the only place I've seen them for sale was the US.
Awesome gti do them Sean, 034 Motorsport, can get red or black and they are about £65.

Reactions: Sean_ and TOM.S
Just out of interest, where did you get your silicone intake pipe? I want one for mine but the only place I've seen them for sale was the US.
I bought mine of member in here, but as Dani B19 said Awesome gti sell the exact same one (034motorsport)

Reactions: Sean_
Awesome gti do them Sean, 034 Motorsport, can get red or black and they are about £65.

I bought mine of member in here, but as Dani B19 said Awesome gti sell the exact same one (034motorsport)

Nice one fella's thanks for the info, think there was one on here second hand for cheap, should have taken it! How you guy's find it?

Well. since its reinforced silicone pipe not plain rubber like the oem it doesn't collapse under boost (refering to the famous TT video done by forge motorsport years ago), again by being silicone not rubber it can cope in a better way with the heat coming from the bottom (air inlet temps lower by a few Celsius - I measured this with obd dongle/smart phone app)
and the throatier noise.
I don't think it has any significant performance gains, but in terms of quality and reliability it certainly is an improvement compared to the oem rubber pipe & I wouldn't go back to standard intake pipe ever again if that's the what you wanted to hear/read ;)

I bought that one Sean haha, was a bargain, half the price of a new one and well worth it.

Car seemed to breath slightly better, never did any logs of before or after which I should have, in theory it should be better for performance as it offers a slightly wider intake a tear due to it been smoother and not covered in ribs.

I read unfortunately bad things about them, R-Tech tested them and the oem DV is better on higher boost. And also lots of fake Chinese one out there.
Yeah R-tech warned me off them too.

Just put an order in for one of these from AMD thanks to this review, hopefully be here for the weekend :D

Your welcome, i know theres a few negative comments about them, but from a driving point of view mine is loads better.
If you havent changed a dv before you are in for a bad time! It took me nearly two hours to try and work out how to get the "third" bolt out without rounding it off!

Yes, I've heard they are a pig to get the last bolt out. Last time I changed a clutch on the driveway some numpty had rounded the pressure plate bolts off, that was fun...

Yeah i bet!!
I found i could get to the last bolt easiest by standing over the off side wing/headlight and going at it from the top, with a long allen key and a pair of pliers to get the leverage to turn it. That way you can see the head of the bolt just lol

Yeah i bet!!
I found i could get to the last bolt easiest by standing over the off side wing/headlight and going at it from the top, with a long allen key and a pair of pliers to get the leverage to turn it. That way you can see the head of the bolt just lol
I did the bottom 2 under the car and the last one like this, the hardest part for me was getting the new DV to stay in place while I got 1 bolt in haha.

Yeah thats exactly what i did, i was so scared of rounding it though ad theres just no access to it!
I managed to hold it in from the top with a lanky finger and get a couple of turns on the bolt!
Thats why im glad i got the dv+ because in theory i should never have to touch it again!

Well. since its reinforced silicone pipe not plain rubber like the oem it doesn't collapse under boost (refering to the famous TT video done by forge motorsport years ago), again by being silicone not rubber it can cope in a better way with the heat coming from the bottom (air inlet temps lower by a few Celsius - I measured this with obd dongle/smart phone app)
and the throatier noise.
I don't think it has any significant performance gains, but in terms of quality and reliability it certainly is an improvement compared to the oem rubber pipe & I wouldn't go back to standard intake pipe ever again if that's the what you wanted to hear/read ;)

Cheers buddy! I'll have to invest in one then :D

I bought that one Sean haha, was a bargain, half the price of a new one and well worth it.

Car seemed to breath slightly better, never did any logs of before or after which I should have, in theory it should be better for performance as it offers a slightly wider intake a tear due to it been smoother and not covered in ribs.

Ahhh so it was you, very nice purchase hahaha you got yourself a bargain dude!

Just put an order in for one of these from AMD thanks to this review, hopefully be here for the weekend :D

You won't regret it :)

Well, it arrived in super quick time, thanks AMD!

Got it fitted today along with oil and filter change. I had the original diaphragm type valve that was in good condition. Removal and refit was a bit of a mare tbh, I ended up cutting the right angle off an Allen key and used it in a 5mm socket with a small 1/4 drive ratchet. This sped up the process and it wasn't too bad doing it all from under the car.

To be honest I can't feel any difference, other than the sound, which sounds nice.

Give it time mate, it took me a couple of days to notice a difference, the car just felt more responsive low down.
Maybe your original was working perfectly then, if nothing else its reasuring knowing you wont ever have to worry about it again.

Yeah, I think the original was working fine, no holes or tears in the diagram. Still happy with the purchase thou, it's a much better built item and I'll have no issues when I get the remap done.

Just need to get the PCB/breather system sorted now, and the knackered snub mount I noticed today.

Well, it's been a couple of weeks with it fitted now, and I must admit the cars got better with time. At first I didn't notice any difference, but now it's definitely given it better response and seems to go better to.