Getting those Dumb Nut Covers Off

chucky1

Reaction score
Had my wheels off today. Does anyone have a better way of getting those stupid plastic caps off other than the little wire thing that tries its hardest to scratch your wheels and drive your blood pressure up? Am I missing something?

Audi nut tool
Audi nut tool 2
these are like £5 from dealer (you should have one in boot beside spare wheel)

edit:

Opened page and went to get the pictures and by that time. Point_audi has part number and all lol

Reactions: RS5 JON, Point_Audi and chucky1
Thanks guys. I will look for this tomorrow. I have been using a wire thing that can only be said looks like an IUD. A bright little wire thing with a twist on it. We assumed that was the cap remover. My wheels have the 5 individual nut covers. I am going to go to bed a little happier now. Ta.

Reactions: RS5 JON, Point_Audi and ruairi83
chucky, that sounds like the tool used to remove star shaped covers, no wonder you were having trouble, lol.

JG

Reactions: ruairi83
Off to work now. Will look in the tool kit straight away. Classic. This has driven me round the twist a few times. Hahaha!!!!!

IMG 0075
Much happier now. Went down to the dealers workshop today and scored my new cap remover. Well worth wearing the uniform for this kind of thing. The guys were happy to give me one. Sure they cracked up when I left. I would have after hearing the story. This happened to me with my last car too. Duh........

Last edited:
Reactions: ruairi83, jdp1962, RS5 JON and 2 others
Haha, glad to hear you got sorted! :)

Reactions: chucky1
Ah the power of the uniform!
When I was a kid there was a sign up in my local fish & chip shop that said emergency services on duty to go to the front of the queue, the chippy was always busy, with a line of people out the door - it use to bug me so much...but now I understand! Perks of the job....oh and the fact that you risk your life to save others!

Reactions: chucky1 and scotty76
I have found that these plastic caps can get a bit tricky to remove if you have not kept the bolt heads clean/clear of curd/salt - to get round that I tend to scrub the bolt heads clean and apply a very light touch of something like "super lub" to keep them easy to remove but still tight enough to stay on the bolts.

And in contrast I managed to pressure wash a few of mine loose on my B7 and eventually lost them. I then discovered they were only 44p each from Audi to replace. :)

I think that I took "corrective" action after worrying that I might break the removal tool, ie spotted a complete kit of caps and tool being sold on ebay - and grabbed them - just in case!

Good little tool. At the end of the day how many things from audi can you use to make a G and T. First thing that crossed my mind when I saw it.

Last edited:
Do you not mean the metal tool? Your one looks like it has been used to take stones out of horses hooves - and failed, there should be a bent over section on it. Or do you mean the plastic one - for lifting slices of Lemon or Lime? I don't really understand G and T, I leave that to my wife, though I do tend to buy my mother-in-law too many bottles of very strong "quality" G! (it is good for her)

Audi ice tongs mate. My wife and I enjoy a good G and T together. Bombay Sapphire. Lime, quarter of, squeezed and dropped in tumbler. Lots of ice. Schweppes tonic. Worth understanding how to make a good one rum4mo.