Facelift Getting Sat Nav fitted

Kondax

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 2016 FL S-Line A3 soon, but unfortunately it does not come with the Sat Nav. I was wondering if it's possible to get the Nav officially fitted at an Audi dealer, and if so how much would it cost? Would it affect the insurance rates by any chance?

Thanks very much.

surely it has sat nav as standard fit?

surely it has sat nav as standard fit?

Do you know all All FL A3 has this feature built in?

It depends how that 2016 was designed and built by the owner. If you look now and spec an audi a3 sline it comes with the tech pack as standard and that comes with the sat nav so I wouldn't be so sure the OP has it.

To answer your question @Kondax its an option you can ask you audi dealership but expect to pay £300-£450 for the license charge if it needs adding. And no you can't just get an SD card of ebay for £10 as your car system needs to tell the Audi Server to 'enable' or add this feature to your car.

It depends how that 2016 was designed and built by the owner. If you look now and spec an audi a3 sline it comes with the tech pack as standard and that comes with the sat nav so I wouldn't be so sure the OP has it.

To answer your question @Kondax its an option you can ask you audi dealership but expect to pay £300-£450 for the license charge if it needs adding. And no you can't just get an SD card of ebay for £10 as your car system needs to tell the Audi Server to 'enable' or add this feature to your car.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. Guess I'll be down to the dealer soon.

my understanding was that apart from se spec cars, sat nav was standard on fl cars - perhaps the one being described is not a UK spec car?

my understanding was that apart from se spec cars, sat nav was standard on fl cars - perhaps the one being described is not a UK spec car?

I believe it is. Possibly was originally built for lease?

Last edited:
do you know it does not have sat nav or just assuming it has not due to the spec description? My gut feeling is that this car will have it?

do you know it does not have sat nav or just assuming it has not due to the spec description? My gut feeling is that this car will have it?

I'm going by spec description, and the pictures of MMI system. Call me crazy, but majority of ads I see will say Sat Nav in spec description, and usually feature a pic or two.

most odd - I am sticking with my original thoughts - still believe it has sat nav and for whatever reason they have not mentioned it

most odd - I am sticking with my original thoughts - still believe it has sat nav and for whatever reason they have not mentioned it
Hoping so! If all goes well, I'll let you know in a few weeks :smiley:

Yes, I'd also agree a standard S Line spec FL car will have Nav.

You could always search through the used car stock on the Audi website, looking for cars of a similar age / registration year

This is the US brochure for A3 2016 ( I couldn't find the UK one) The lowest spec car is fitted with Nav as standard

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Audi/A3/Audi_US A3_2016.pdf

You also need to buy a new ad card. Used ones for sale won't work. The ad cards are only 60 ish but the licence makes up the 500 pound. A used one has already been licenced to a car so won't work in other cars.
Just like retro cruise control. This has also gone the licence road. Can't do it via vag anymore

Down load my audi app and see what sat nav you car has. If it says sat nav enabled it just means it's there but needs card and key.
If it been enabled and you have the code on the stock it say say nav read or like wise

Yes, I'd also agree a standard S Line spec FL car will have Nav.

You could always search through the used car stock on the Audi website, looking for cars of a similar age / registration year

This is the US brochure for A3 2016 ( I couldn't find the UK one) The lowest spec car is fitted with Nav as standard

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Audi/A3/Audi_US A3_2016.pdf

Interesting. I'm going to assume that they just missed it off the spec description then. I'll give them a call today and ask them.

Down load my audi app and see what sat nav you car has. If it says sat nav enabled it just means it's there but needs card and key.
If it been enabled and you have the code on the stock it say say nav read or like wise

Thanks for the info.

The Nav in FL cars doesn't use an SD card for the maps, the map data is stored within the MMi (pre face lift cars store the maps on an SD card which is coded to work with the exact car and can't be used elsewhere)

On FL cars, map updates can be downloaded through the cars own data connection, or I think you can use an SD for the map update, download off the internet and then copy into the car.

If you go through with the car purchase you may need to get a 3rd party data sim card, there's loads of recommendations on here which network is cheapest. Theres a sim slot in the glove box. The Nav is clever enough to show where the traffic is moving slowly on the map display (the road is shown as red for stationary or yellow for slow moving) to get this info on the fly it must use a data connection. IMO It is one of the best features of the Nav on the FL MMi.

These days, cars with the Tech pack (virtual cockpit etc) come with a 36 month data subscription that drives things like Audi connect and google maps, whether that was the case in 2016 I don't know.

The Nav in FL cars doesn't use an SD card for the maps, the map data is stored within the MMi (pre face lift cars store the maps on an SD card which is coded to work with the exact car and can't be used elsewhere)

On FL cars, map updates can be downloaded through the cars own data connection, or I think you can use an SD for the map update, download off the internet and then copy into the car.

If you go through with the car purchase you may need to get a 3rd party data sim card, there's loads of recommendations on here which network is cheapest. Theres a sim slot in the glove box. The Nav is clever enough to show where the traffic is moving slowly on the map display (the road is shown as red for stationary or yellow for slow moving) to get this info on the fly it must use a data connection. IMO It is one of the best features of the Nav on the FL MMi.

These days, cars with the Tech pack (virtual cockpit etc) come with a 36 month data subscription that drives things like Audi connect and google maps, whether that was the case in 2016 I don't know.

Okay, that's good to know. I'll be sure to take a look in that case.

I was looking at cars with Tech Pack, but they all seem to be about £5k extra (used), so unfortunately it seems as though I won't be able to have that as much as I'd love the virtual cockpit.

S-Lines definitely had Sat Nav as standard - The SD card may have been removed but the activation will be there so just a new SD Map card required which if buying from an Audi dealer they should supply free because the car is supposed to have it

Attachments

• A3 BROCHURE - MAY 2016001.pdf
    674.1 KB · Views: 201
  • A3 BROCHURE - JAN 2016001.pdf
    639 KB · Views: 242
S-Lines definitely had Sat Nav as standard - The SD card may have been removed but the activation will be there so just a new SD Map card required which if buying from an Audi dealer they should supply free because the car is supposed to have it

Great, think we've come to the conclusion that it's just missing on spec list. Cheers.

"Regards the questions you have asked about our car, the car does not have an active Sat Nav. It is asking for an SD card to activate the navigation. "

Seems as though I'll have to pay for the SatNav. Just curious, would tinted back windows and rear mirror cost more than activating the nav?

Cheers.

"Regards the questions you have asked about our car, the car does not have an active Sat Nav. It is asking for an SD card to activate the navigation. "

Seems as though I'll have to pay for the SatNav. Just curious, would tinted back windows and rear mirror cost more than activating the nav?

Cheers.

I wouldn't accept that because it was standard - Just because it's not been activated isn't your problem

I wouldn't accept that because it was standard - Just because it's not been activated isn't your problem

Unfortunately it's not an official Audi dealer, and there aren't many similar cars within the same range. This car is already 130 miles for me, any other cars of similar spec within a similar range are an extra £3k or more. The only other similar car is a pretty much exactly match, except it has no tinted windows but does have sat nav. I've got mixed prices regarding the both of them so I'm not sure which one would actually cost less.

Unfortunately it's not an official Audi dealer, and there aren't many similar cars within the same range. This car is already 130 miles for me, any other cars of similar spec within a similar range are an extra £3k or more. The only other similar car is a pretty much exactly match, except it has no tinted windows but does have sat nav. I've got mixed prices regarding the both of them so I'm not sure which one would actually cost less.

Right sorry I thought it was main dealer although I can't understand why it's not activated - Thought you might need to get a new map sd card if it's missing but not activate as well - Might be worth speaking to a main dealer about that

Right sorry I thought it was main dealer although I can't understand why it's not activated - Thought you might need to get a new map sd card if it's missing but not activate as well - Might be worth speaking to a main dealer about that

Yeah, will need to get a new SD card. I'll call my local Audi dealer.

Yeah, will need to get a new SD card. I'll call my local Audi dealer.

Should only need the new maps one though which will update the software - Don't pay for activation card as well because it should be working anyway

A facelift car should have the Nav activated no matter where you buy it from. On a facelift car map updates can be download direct to the car via its data connection or via downloading the map file from a pc to an ordinary SD card then copying the file into the car.

Audi release map updates once per year in Q1.

A facelift car should have the Nav activated no matter where you buy it from. On a facelift car map updates can be download direct to the car via its data connection or via downloading the map file from a pc to an ordinary SD card then copying the file into the car.

If I were to connect that car to my Audi connect account would I be able to download the nav data through there?

Isn't that for Tech Pack though - The brochure still states SD Card Navigation and I'm sure my car has an SD card in it which means map updates are not available only by purchasing a new SD card which then also updates any software changes

Reactions: Tom.H