Getting back into an Audi... TDI or TFSI?

Tim_Attard

Reaction score
This is my first post on the 8p forum so hello to everyone!

I'm after some wisdom, input, pros & cons etc I'm after a a3 quarto sline but can't decide between the 2.0 TDI or the TFSI. Obviously they are quite hard to compare being completely different but any input of the engines that could help me decide us what I'm after.

Bit of background.. I won't be driving it much at all, about 3hr motorway journey 6 or so times a month and the odd trip to tescos, rest of the time it will be parked up.

I will want to take the engine to a safe limit of the internals as I'm not ready to do rods etc yet. Not wanting to spend anymore than £3k ish on the engine.

Basically I would like the TDI to get the mpg but not sure I'm going to be satisfied with the power of it as I'm struggling to find a definitive answer on the engine limits and what's needed for it.

Thanks for any input, much appricative.
Tim

I wouldn't off the TFSI due to mpg, they do pull a decent amount.
TDI limits off the 140 are about 190bhp but the torque is silly makes it pretty quick, 170 can pull about 220 bhp if I remember correctly, again decent torque makes it quick.
2 completely different driving styles aswell
Someone with a tfsi can let you in with some mpg but if you plan on modifying, mapping it mostly, then a 2.0 tfsi/S3 is the way to go as it has the most hardware upgrades along with software where the tdi is pretty much limited at stage 1 with just a map and no hardware changes.
S3 can pull 400+ bhp if you have the cash and 500+ bhp if you really want to as S3 Alex and a few others have done!

Reactions: Jarvo
1.8 TFSI owner here, i can achieve 40-45 mpg pretty easily on a motorway run, about 37-42mpg on a mixed run, and about mid 30's on a short stop start run.

All petrol power here, fallen out with derv's recently, they are a pain and expensive when they go wrong. However if you can find a looked after fault free170 derv and prepared to find a late one with a premium price, you won't be disappointed with it's mpg and feel of power with the torque it delivers, but it is short lived due to a narrow power band, easily mapped to give a little more oomph.
Petrol powered TFSI's are in the long run more tuneable, quieter, smoother to drive. Find a good S3 and you may find enough power in it to keep you happy for some years, then you have the option of a stage 1 map which is simple and relatively cheap for a few more horses.
Personally I would forget saving £3k for mods and tuning and put the money to your initial car buy and make sure it is a good 'un from the outset.

It would be interesting to know what cars you had before and what kind of budget you are willing to spend.

I have a A3 Sportback 2.0 tfsi and only do 400-500 miles a month and majority of that is short journeys. I average about 28-30mpg can get up to 38-40 mpg on a good motorway run.

197bhp standard and will be getting it remapped soon which should take it to about 250bhp

That's great feedback, just what I was after. To be honest that's a lot better mpg than I was expecting from the tfsi.

My previols cars:
Rover 200 1.6
Polo 1.3 iirc
Audi A3 1.8t 150 bhp <-- mapped
(search tim's max power a3) but I warn you it was a huge learning curve and not everyones taste
Clio 1.2
Peugeot 206 1.2 iirc
Audi tt 1.8t 225 bhp <-- standard ish
Proton satria 1.6 iirc

Overall very mixed selection as I used to just buy and sell off friends etc to make a bit of money and I'm also in the military so car's are more a hobby than a necessity

Unfortunately I can't afford an s3 as I'm saving for a house and as much as I was tempted to go back to the 1.8t I'm not ready to do internals and I feel that limits them some what and I only managed 25mpg..

The torque was a great selling point for the 170 tdi, "stage 2" was so.e great figures but like mentioned the injectors top out at 240 ish and I can only get that with a turbo, dp etc etc which is costly. Ideally was hoping for 300 bhp ish as I found the TT kinda slow. I love it and it was fast but didn't give me the kick in the *** I got from my a3 (probably as I didn't map it)

If you are looking for 250 'ish bhp in a car, any car, then mpg economy can't be a consideration. Quattro A3 TFSI's are few and far between, only found 2 in the whole country that had the right spec when I was looking, wanted dsg and a sunroof.
Don't think you will find what you want at a bargain price and has all the attributes you want.

Reactions: Jarvo
2.0 tdi 170bhp are a pain and cost fortunes when they go wrong, they are useless on short runs as they need to clear the dpf often and need a good motorway blast to get to temperature, you dont get the same problems with the 2.0 tdi 140bhp as it hasn't got the dpf, saying that you can have the dpf gutted but makes the car illegal if caught and frees up some power if you dont mind leaving a big black cloud in you wake.
I run a 2.0tfsi with stage 1 bluefin map which is a safe map and not pushing the internals, with pipercross dry panel filter and GFB DV+ diverter valve, the car runs sweet on 240bhp, looking to fit a bcs powervalve exhaust when funds permit which will add another 25bhp, and if I fit a cai i could be looking at another 10bhp, which will a nice bit of extra punch, at 275bhp on a stage 1 map. A stage 2 map maybe on the cards from there to bring the car nearer the 300bhp mark, but thats where I think a front wheel drive is at its limit.
At the moment with village, b road and some motorway driving I`m returning 33mpg and I dont drive with a feather foot, but not always on the power, Its a nice smooth quick delivery on overtaking made so much more easily with the dsg, I just love that gearbox.

2.0 tdi 170bhp are a pain and cost fortunes when they go wrong, they are useless on short runs as they need to clear the dpf often and need a good motorway blast to get to temperature, you dont get the same problems with the 2.0 tdi 140bhp as it hasn't got the dpf, saying that you can have the dpf gutted but makes the car illegal if caught and frees up some power if you dont mind leaving a big black cloud in you wake.
I run a 2.0tfsi with stage 1 bluefin map which is a safe map and not pushing the internals, with pipercross dry panel filter and GFB DV+ diverter valve, the car runs sweet on 240bhp, looking to fit a bcs powervalve exhaust when funds permit which will add another 25bhp, and if I fit a cai i could be looking at another 10bhp, which will a nice bit of extra punch, at 275bhp on a stage 1 map. A stage 2 map maybe on the cards from there to bring the car nearer the 300bhp mark, but thats where I think a front wheel drive is at its limit.
At the moment with village, b road and some motorway driving I`m returning 33mpg and I dont drive with a feather foot, but not always on the power, Its a nice smooth quick delivery on overtaking made so much more easily with the dsg, I just love that gearbox.

My 8p 140 has a DPF but no issues I can report of

Reactions: Sherv and Rog_B
I was looking at a couple of 170's as dark side developments do a big turbo kit plus extra's to get to 300 ish for a few grand but all I've heard so far on here and else where is they are a bit of a pain and expensive when they do inevitable go wrong.

You Soot1 you're right it's not a huge consideration but I'd rather it be reasonable... at least better than my old a3 as I did about 20 give or take.

I would like to throw another condenser into the mix if anyone's got any thoughts on it... the 2.7 v6 biturbo? Obviously mpg goes out the window but with the potential for such high figures it has caught my attention.. maybe in a few years, stroker bt build

Anyway thanks for the input, I think I'm pretty set on keeping my eye out for a good tfsi now. As I say I'm in no rush so I can be patient and wait for one.

Don't listen to these that are saying don't get a 170 diesel because they are expensive to repair etc. Ive got a 57 reg 170 diesel s line completely standard so it still has its dpf etc and I believe it was one of the first to have a dpf. I've had it 5 year and done just over 30000 miles and I think the dpf light has come on twice in that time so just gave it a good run for half an hour each time and it went off. It's the best car I've ever had by far and the only things I've ever had to repair are the rear windscreen wiper motor and a door lock mechanism which I think is pretty good to say how long I've had it..
If I drive it hard on short journeys then mpg is probably in the 20's or 30's but I've been to Wembley in it this weekend gone from South Yorkshire and averaged 60mpg with the cruise control on which you'd never see in a petrol..
My advice would be to get whichever model you prefer and bide your time and get one with as low mileage as possible, I once bought a 4 year old Leon with 117000 on the clock and it was the worst mistake I ever made and then bought this Audi with 30000 on it 5 year ago and as I say it's been the best I've had so far.

Just read that you do motorway journeys each month which would be ideal for the dpf on the diesel but if you're looking for 300bhp you've got to go petrol and forget about the mpg imo

Mine too, no DPF problems so far, as for the filthy clogged up EGR...:whistle2:
You can't remove the EGR without ditching the DPF, sadly.

I've blanked my EGR but still have the DPF. No probs for nearly two months now.