Getting Audi to buy back a car

jrumball

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with getting Audi to buy back a car that has had a reoccurring problem they are having trouble to fix ? Car is only just 3 years old still in its extended warranty was bought for cash approved used from a dealer . It has had a reoccurring fault which means he car is underivable this has happened 3 times since the 28th of Nov. The car has less than 40k miles on it. Each time i have got the car back the fault has re appeared within less than 100 miles .

Be great to hear if anyone has any experience with a similar situation, as far as I am concerned it is unfit for purpose and potentially dangerous as the fault is with the HV system.

At the moment I can't even trade it in as it is never fixed long enough .....

Thanks

I would contact citizens advice or/ and trading standards and get advice also try the motor trade association or whatever it's called .
I would suggest Audi CEO as well .
I think it would also depend how long you have had the car and it's service history etc.

You will need lots of luck on Audi buying a used car back. What is the issue and I assume you went back to the dealer you bought it from and are they an Audi dealer? Your issue is with the dealer you bought the car from first and then may require legal assistance to get a satisfactory result, if the selling dealer can not fix the issue.

Last edited:
You will need lots of luck on Audi buying a used car back. What is the issue and I assume you went back to the dealer you bought it from and are they an Audi dealer? Your issue is with the dealer you bought the car from first and then may require legal assistance to get a satisfactory result, if the selling dealer can not fix the issue.

Thanks When you say lucky, do you have any experience with this scenario ? The issue is they're unable to fix the drive train of the car ! I am very interested to hear from people that have been in a similar situation. I understand what's involved and yes it was an Audi dealer. The problem is that there are very few centres that are qualified to work on the cars and at the moment it is being dealt with by a qualified centre.

Maybe also finding a good independant Audi mechanic to get a second opinion.
Cars still in warranty ! I'm not sure there are any independents for an e-tron, be great if someone knows of one ! A the moment it won't even drive anywhere so my options are very limited .

Thanks When you say lucky, do you have any experience with this scenario ? The issue is they're unable to fix the drive train of the car ! I am very interested to hear from people that have been in a similar situation. I understand what's involved and yes it was an Audi dealer. The problem is that there are very few centres that are qualified to work on the cars and at the moment it is being dealt with by a qualified centre.

I struggled (then gave up) trying to reject a brand new MK7 Golf GTI. So trying to reject a second hand car will also be problematic.

When did you buy the car? I'm assuming you're not the first owner?

Contact trading standards, as if the garage has sold you an approved used car, then it should be fit for purpose. The dealer will always argue that is what a warranty is for, and to bring it back (as many times as it takes) for them to fix the issue.

They don't want the car back, so will make life difficult for you to just either give up and put up with it, or sell it and move on.

I struggled (then gave up) trying to reject a brand new MK7 Golf GTI. So trying to reject a second hand car will also be problematic.

When did you buy the car? I'm assuming you're not the first owner?

Contact trading standards, as if the garage has sold you an approved used car, then it should be fit for purpose. The dealer will always argue that is what a warranty is for, and to bring it back (as many times as it takes) for them to fix the issue.

They don't want the car back, so will make life difficult for you to just either give up and put up with it, or sell it and move on.

Thanks for your experience .I bought the car about 20months ago it was a little over a year old. I have made my intentions clear to the Dealer that has my car and there was no initial objection. They have been looking after my car since the initial problem . It unfortunately is not just a put up with it case over the last mont and a half I have been in possession of it for about 4 days and done maybe 150 miles and it has stopped working 3 times, which means the car has to be recovered as it can't be driven any distance, luckily only once a 430 am on the A1, once at my parents which it took them 24 hrs to collect , and then once at home !

I will take legal advice if it comes to that but I don't feel I can sell a car on to someone with these kind of issues ... at this point it doesn't even drive for long enough to sell it to webuyanycar.com !

Iirc, you can give them several chances to rectify the issue, if they still do not, then you can request a refund.

Check the consumer goods act, sale of goods act, can't recall exactly but I know I've read this quite a few times, see if it's relevant to your purchase as it's been several times now & they've failed.

Iirc, you can give them several chances to rectify the issue, if they still do not, then you can request a refund.

Check the consumer goods act, sale of goods act, can't recall exactly but I know I've read this quite a few times, see if it's relevant to your purchase as it's been several times now & they've failed.

Thanks I have been researching this it is vague as you would expect. But fundamentally that is the situation I am now in really boring as I have invested a lot of time and money into the car .

As far as I'm aware I believe time scale also does not enter into the equation as you are looking at returning goods that are not fit for purpose. This outweighs any warranty period.

Colin

Reactions: KenL
Good luck. Audi never fixed my handbrake sticking on problem when it was in various dealers over nearly 2 and a half years.

They just kept saying they couldn't find the fault even though it got stuck in one of the parking bays in their carpark with handbrake stuck.

They just don't care. Their customer service and actual repair record is on a par with Vauxhall and that's at the bottom of the list.

Skoda again for me next time I think, they were 1st or 2nd I think.

Good luck. Audi never fixed my handbrake sticking on problem when it was in various dealers over nearly 2 and a half years.

They just kept saying they couldn't find the fault even though it got stuck in one of the parking bays in their carpark with handbrake stuck.

They just don't care. Their customer service and actual repair record is on a par with Vauxhall and that's at the bottom of the list.

Skoda again for me next time I think, they were 1st or 2nd I think.

It's a bit easier when every time you dump it out the front of the showroom with an AA flatbed.... Skoda is VAG still though ?

As far as I'm aware I believe time scale also does not enter into the equation as you are looking at returning goods that are not fit for purpose. This outweighs any warranty period.

Colin
I'd say a car that doesn't move under its own power reliably is unfit for purpose, especially when it has a full Audi service record !

It's a bit easier when every time you dump it out the front of the showroom with an AA flatbed.... Skoda is VAG still though ?

Yeah but their customer service is very good from personal experience and they actually fix things. They never took bits off and lost them like my local Audi dealer. They had to bodge my mudlaps as the fitting pins are now superseded and they cant get them after they lost a pin when it was getting other work done. They lost and had to replace other items too.

I would also keep a note of any conversations and phone calls etc etc so you have proof if needed that they cannot fix it and if you are in the AA get them to detail the problem as well.
I would also contact the big boss (CEO) of the garage where you bought the car and let them know you are not happy .
I hope they give you a car to use when the one you have is crook.

I would also keep a note of any conversations and phone calls etc etc so you have proof if needed that they cannot fix it and if you are in the AA get them to detail the problem as well.
I would also contact the big boss (CEO) of the garage where you bought the car and let them know you are not happy .
I hope they give you a car to use when the one you have is crook.

Thanks I have everything via email, since the day I purchased it. I am giving the Center that is trying to fix it the opportunity to come to a sensible conclusion at the moment.

They have given me a car, the service managers A4 50 TDI Quattro as they had nothing else...... It's not exactly economic....

You are doing the right things...give the dealership a fair chance to deal with your issue. You have a loaner, keep it till your car is properly fixed and that means they have test driven your car extensively after the latest fix and no faults. Also what fixes have they done previously.

You are doing the right things...give the dealership a fair chance to deal with your issue. You have a loaner, keep it till your car is properly fixed and that means they have test driven your car extensively after the latest fix and no faults. Also what fixes have they done previously.

They have been trying to fix it since the 28th of Nov.... The first was a software update on the battery controller, then they replaced the controller, i'm not sure what else has gone on in the middle too will hopefully find out what the fault is now tomorrow. It seems everything has to go back to Germany though..... Some people from American on another group have had similar issues and it involved battery pack and all HV cabling replacement, which took months apparently. I suggested a wiring loom fault to the service manager and he said they had replaced them in the past I suggested the last thing I wanted was my car ripped apart and there for ever more being rattles and squeaks ....

They will be dodging until your warranty expires and they will fk with you as they know it is massive problem.. They will fix it temporarily only once the warranty ends they will tell you byee unfortunately

Reactions: Fatbloke
I would check regarding the warranty , if a fault is found before it runs out legally (I think )they are duty bound to carry on till a fix is found but get advice first in case I am wrong .

They have been trying to fix it since the 28th of Nov.... The first was a software update on the battery controller, then they replaced the controller, i'm not sure what else has gone on in the middle too will hopefully find out what the fault is now tomorrow. It seems everything has to go back to Germany though..... Some people from American on another group have had similar issues and it involved battery pack and all HV cabling replacement, which took months apparently. I suggested a wiring loom fault to the service manager and he said they had replaced them in the past I suggested the last thing I wanted was my car ripped apart and there for ever more being rattles and squeaks ....

If you need it mate:

Managing Director of Audi UK
Andrew Doyle
andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk
tel - 01908 601303
Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5AN
tel - 01908 601303

also copy your email to - executive.office@audi.co.uk

Reactions: pburv, Bristle Hound and SaraS3
I rejected a 2 month old S3 on around day 2 of ownership. Previous owner was the dealership. I don't know how you go on having owned it for a year but if it's not fit for purpose, it's no good. I sent an email to Andrew Doyle and he passed it to a fantastic lady (Rosetta) I don't have her surname to hand. As the chap above said, I would try Mr Doyle.
I stayed calm, stuck to the facts and Audi uk sorted it. Rosetta was absolutely fantastic. She even said if I had any problems with further purchases, to let her know. She really put my mind at rest. I part exd plus cash but they said they had sold my part ex so gave me full invoice price back in cash.
Hopefully you have good records that you can put an email together with.

They will be dodging until your warranty expires and they will fk with you as they know it is massive problem.. They will fix it temporarily only once the warranty ends they will tell you byee unfortunately

That is rubbish mate...Audi can not deny warranty claims with a known documented issue, even after the warranty has expired.

Reactions: KenL, Phutters, pburv and 1 other person

Nonsense! Every time they fit a new part to the car that part has a warranty. That means the warranty will be rolling over each time they work on it because they were made aware of the issue before the car's warranty ran out.

Reactions: Phutters, pburv and Bells
Thanks for your experience .I bought the car about 20months ago it was a little over a year old. I have made my intentions clear to the Dealer that has my car and there was no initial objection. They have been looking after my car since the initial problem . It unfortunately is not just a put up with it case over the last mont and a half I have been in possession of it for about 4 days and done maybe 150 miles and it has stopped working 3 times, which means the car has to be recovered as it can't be driven any distance, luckily only once a 430 am on the A1, once at my parents which it took them 24 hrs to collect , and then once at home !

I will take legal advice if it comes to that but I don't feel I can sell a car on to someone with these kind of issues ... at this point it doesn't even drive for long enough to sell it to webuyanycar.com !

The dealer had my 1.8 TFSI for a long time trying to rectify a minor fault.
I had 5 different very nice loan cars over a total of six months, dealer supplied or Audi europcar supplied dependent on who was dealing with the issue at the time.
I had "lost faith" in the car and called a meeting with the dealer's Head of Business and Sales Manager.
They agreed an incredible trade in on the car (more than it was eventually sold for) and offered a factory order FL car to the spec I wanted (before Audi had even started FL production), with a thumping "at cost" discount.
I drove the now fixed old car around for another four months until my new car was built and delivered.

I was happy, the dealer sold another new car towards their target, in practice it didn't cost them anything to get me out of their hair, I still drive an Audi, will go back to them for another and I go away believing I have a great dealer. Everyone wins.

Any car can be fixed if you throw enough bits at it and that's what a warranty is there to do. Unfortunately its not always the dealer who is the bad guy as they are at the mercy of what Audi will authorise and pay them to do to fix it. It can take a long time.

If you want the dealer just to buy the car back after you've had it 20 months I think you'll struggle. It is repairable. If you want to trade it for another car the dealer may be more receptive.

Reactions: pburv, Flying Scotsman and Phutters
The dealer had my 1.8 TFSI for a long time trying to rectify a minor fault.
I had 5 different very nice loan cars over a total of six months, dealer supplied or Audi europcar supplied dependent on who was dealing with the issue at the time.
I had "lost faith" in the car and called a meeting with the dealer's Head of Business and Sales Manager.
They agreed an incredible trade in on the car (more than it was eventually sold for) and offered a factory order FL car to the spec I wanted (before Audi had even started FL production), with a thumping "at cost" discount.
I drove the now fixed old car around for another four months until my new car was built and delivered.

I was happy, the dealer sold another new car towards their target, in practice it didn't cost them anything to get me out of their hair, I still drive an Audi, will go back to them for another and I go away believing I have a great dealer. Everyone wins.

Any car can be fixed if you throw enough bits at it and that's what a warranty is there to do. Unfortunately its not always the dealer who is the bad guy as they are at the mercy of what Audi will authorise and pay them to do to fix it. It can take a long time.

If you want the dealer just to buy the car back after you've had it 20 months I think you'll struggle. It is repairable. If you want to trade it for another car the dealer may be more receptive.

Thanks for your experience. My situation is slightly different as the fault is probably the consequence of a botched repair to the drivetrain by an outside bodyshop that my car was given too by Audi who told me they were authorised and qualified to work on my car . Turns out they were authorised but had no qualified technicians and botched a repair tho the Hybrid system in the car .

I have now taken legal advice and the suggestion at the moment is I have a very strong case, the situation is in the dealers hands to come to a sensible conclusion before I am forced to take legal action .

I rely on the car for my work and bought an expensive high quality car which I really like but have been let down multiple times by the level of service I have received. I have lost all confidence in the car .

Hmm, you do have a problem with a body shop repairing the Hybrid system. Why did the bodyshop not do just the bodywork etc. repairs and send it back to the dealer for Hybrid repairs. This getting more messy with further details being revealed.

Hmm, you do have a problem with a body shop repairing the Hybrid system. Why did the bodyshop not do just the bodywork etc. repairs and send it back to the dealer for Hybrid repairs. This getting more messy with further details being revealed.

Yes it is a mess my problem is with Audi . Those are very good questions too. I choose to have the repair done by my Audi garage to preserve my warranty and because they had qualified technicians to work on the car , they told me that they didn't do bodywork and that an Audi approved body shop would be handling it turns out they made repairs to the hybrid system without being qualified, it seems like at the very least they didn't refill or burp the HV collant loop which cools the inverter motor and batteries before driving the car and returning it too me with other cosmetic issues and without coding the replacement ACC moule . I also had to remind them to replace the bonnet pyro as this wasn’t in their initial quote !I noticed the lack of coolant a day latter and I think this is when the initial damage was done that is now manifesting its self as these drivetrain failures. Thankfully I double checked their work !

As I said above I have now taken legal advice and believe I am in a very strong position to pursue a claim ...

It has been a very frustrating situation and wasted days of my time ....

Yes it is a mess my problem is with Audi . Those are very good questions too. I choose to have the repair done by my Audi garage to preserve my warranty and because they had qualified technicians to work on the car , they told me that they didn't do bodywork and that an Audi approved body shop would be handling it turns out they made repairs to the hybrid system without being qualified, it seems like at the very least they didn't refill or burp the HV collant loop which cools the inverter motor and batteries before driving the car and returning it too me with other cosmetic issues and without coding the replacement ACC moule . I also had to remind them to replace the bonnet pyro as this wasn’t in their initial quote !I noticed the lack of coolant a day latter and I think this is when the initial damage was done that is now manifesting its self as these drivetrain failures. Thankfully I double checked their work !

As I said above I have now taken legal advice and believe I am in a very strong position to pursue a claim ...

It has been a very frustrating situation and wasted days of my time ....

If you like subscribe to Which. They may give you very good advice and legal support . When Audi becomes aware Which is involve with your case they will do something sharpish as Audi will not like bad publicity if you are not the first with such problem with them Audi. Which may handle the case for you

If you like subscribe to Which. They may give you very good advice and legal support . When Audi becomes aware Which is involve with your case they will do something sharpish as Audi will not like bad publicity if you are not the first with such problem with them Audi. Which may handle the case for you

Thanks I will look into it, at the moment I have taken legal advice from a firm which specialises in Automotive Consumer Law.

Reactions: gimk and KenL
That is rubbish mate...Audi can not deny warranty claims with a known documented issue, even after the warranty has expired.
yeah ? so why tf his car isn't fixed after and crazy year???

Nonsense! Every time they fit a new part to the car that part has a warranty. That means the warranty will be rolling over each time they work on it because they were made aware of the issue before the car's warranty ran out.
oooh suddenly everyone nonsense no true and main think majority has warranty dilemma not going smooth without question asked ..
after so many repair why they simply didn't replace the car???

oh yeah more messy? why? audi warranty will sort it out according you MATE
probably two ppl working at audi here hates me and naives liking their posts... gimme a break....