Genuine OEM Numberplate light LEDs now flickering after MY11 tailight install!

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So yeah pretty much as the title says. I replaced my MY09 tail lights tonight with the newer tinted MY11 tail lights. Had no issues with this. I managed to break the filament in the right hand tail light brake light bulb, but quick trip to Halfords sorted that.

So when the lights were in and connected up, I turned on the ignition to see if they were working, and then got a bulb out error message from my number plate bulbs! So this is especially strange as I have the cold diagnosis turned off in VCDS for both reversing light and numberplate light bulbs (I had to do this when I upgraded my reverse light bulb to a cree LED a few months back, as it was blinking).

This is the first time I have ever had a number plate light bulb out warning on the DIS. I went back to look and the right hand side led cluster is working fine, but the left cluster, one of the LEDs is blinking kinda on and off. The right LED bulb in the left cluster is working fine, just the left one is blinking (there are two LEDs in each cluster on OEM LED tail lights - just to be clear).

Now sometimes if I lock and unlock the car, I DONT get the bulb out warning when turning the key, but when looking at the rear of the car, that same LED is STILL flashing. And then other times, when the LED is flashing, after a few seconds, BOTH LED clusters turn of totally! Leaving no number plate lights whatsoever!

Anyone any ideas what could be going on here? Just a coincidence that this happened when I changed over my lights? Should I order another OEM LED left cluster to see if that fixes it?

Appreciate anyones input.

Thanks.

Hi yeah my car takes them ok as I had them in it before. And regarding vcds, I dont have the byte 17 bit 7 that people talk about.

Hi yeah my car takes them ok as I had them in it before. And regarding vcds, I dont have the byte 17 bit 7 that people talk about.

having never done this yet I'm not the best to give advise, i would recommend contacting NHN or Ash187, they both deal with retrofits, upgrades ECT they may be able to help you out

Reactions: s3_trev