generic and custom remap

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
sorry to sound stupid, can somebody explain the difference...please. Thanks

:)

A generic is basically the same map for every 1.8T 150 engine or every 1.9TDi 130 engine, just examples, and once it's loaded that's it done. A custom remap is different for every car no matter what engine. It can be tweaked and changed to how the custom wants it and also depending on what other modifications the car has. Hope this helps.

My description would be......

Generic:

A map developed by someone (quite possibly neither the person nor the company applying it), on a test mule car, is applied to your car and off you go. Any difference or issue between your car(s) and the car the map was developed on are not addressed.

Custom:

A starting point map is applied to you car and then tweaked real time by a tuner either on the road or on a dyno. This map takes advantage of any other modifications your engine has and can be tweaked so that the optimum performance for YOUR car is achieved whilst keep ing all relevant parameters safe.

The end result my be parameters altered so you actually run a less tuned car than a generic map, but that is all your example can safely handle or it may be the case you have a good'un and the timing can be wound on safely, running sweet air/fuel and you get that little bit extra power for your money.

thanks for the replies.

so a custom remap is better?

is Revo a custom remap?

revo is generic - the only plus side to revo IMO is that you can change between the standard setting and the revo setting

anyone with good past experience with custom remaps and recommend the tuner. Thanks

I went to superchips HQ for my tailored map on my TDI a while back - only downside is that they are just outside oxford which may be too far for you to travel.

Other companies that seem to get good reviews are (in no particular order)

DPM
Jabbasport
AMD (although they are now part of big boys toys and apparently quality has gone right downhill)
Awesome GTI
Superchips
Custom Code
Star Performance

and probably a load of others I can't remember