General Wheel Width and Offset Question...

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright Gents...

I'm ever so slightly confused as to that i can get away with on an A3/S3 with regards to offsets and wheel width.

For example, i recently considered a set of wheels off an Audi TT. I know the fitment is right but they're 9 x 19 with an offset of 52.
Would these basically be too big (width wise) for an A3 S-Line?

What width and offset aftermarket wheels are you guys running and what's the limit with regards to rubbing etc? I'm talking fitted straight to the car with no spacers etc.

I know this topic has been done to death but i've searched the forum and the net and can't seem to get a definitive answer!

Cheers in advance!

Paul.

9" is a bit too wide I think for the rear

Are the fronts 9" too?? if so, they will rub like mad if you lower the car also off the front shock

the offset is grand though, the A3 is et45-55

I am running 8x19" et50 with 235/35 tyres and no rubbing issues even with a very full load (full boot, 5 guys)

Hmm, interesting.... Good job i didn't buy them then! I assumed that the offset etc would be exactly the same for the TT as the A3 and the only difference would be slightly wider arches?

So am i safe to say 8.5 is pretty much the limit for the A3/S3?

Unless you intend to lower the car i don`t see why 9" would be a problem at the back as i am running standard 18" allys on the back of my car with 15mm spacers with no problems even when fully loaded. I wouldn`t put 9" on the front though. Very tempted to get some BBS replicas from DPM as seen HERE which are 8" front and 9" rear but trying to be a good boy and not spend to much on my car at the moment.

19's and not lowered would look like a truck in my opinion

The ones in the link are 18" not 19" and i ahve an S-Line so it`s already low enough.

P.S. fellas, if anyone's interested i've put an ad in the classifieds for these genuine RS4's manufactured by Speedline. They're 'new' condition. I bought them on my mates behalf and now he's changed his mind! As above, i won't be fitting them to my A3 so they're for sale. Feel free to view the listing:

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2461

Sorry if this isn't allowed!!

P.S. fellas, if anyone's interested i've put an ad in the classifieds for these genuine RS4's manufactured by Speedline. They're 'new' condition. I bought them on my mates behalf and now he's changed his mind! As above, i won't be fitting them to my A3 so they're for sale. Feel free to view the listing:

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2461

Sorry if this isn't allowed!!

So did you test fit these to your car, and they didnt fit?

Thats more to do with the tyre size than anything else, if they were fitted with 225 or 235/35/19 then it wouldn't have been a problem..

Jonny

So did you test fit these to your car, and they didnt fit?

Thats more to do with the tyre size than anything else, if they were fitted with 225 or 235/35/19 then it wouldn't have been a problem..

Jonny

Thanks Jonny...

Haven't tried fitting them to the car because they're brand new condition after a refurb so wouldn't want to mark them!

Surely though if i put a 225/35/19 tyre on some 9J x 19 wheels you're going to have a lot of the rim sticking out??

Hmm, yeah probably a bit but not that much, it would be a very mild stretch.. Think you would be ok with the 235's to be honest because of the offset..

Hmm, yeah probably a bit but not that much, it would be a very mild stretch.. Think you would be ok with the 235's to be honest because of the offset..

Jonny, this is a very naive question but i'm no expert on the ways of tyres!...

If you put a 225 tyre on a 9J wheel.... I take it the tyre would still come right up to the rim but the tyre wall would slope away rather than standing upright?

Yep, its known as stretch, but extreme stretch would be a 205 tyre on a 10inch rim.. lol

You get the idea though, it would look fine, S3IZZO runs with 215's on a 8.5 inch rim, looks good, really subtle.. :)

Jonny

Yep, its known as stretch, but extreme stretch would be a 205 tyre on a 10inch rim.. lol

You get the idea though, it would look fine, S3IZZO runs with 215's on a 8.5 inch rim, looks good, really subtle.. :)

Jonny

See i actually do like that look. A lot of the P-Zero's fitted to the back wheels on Carrera's etc have that profile anyway (apart from the curb protector) so it wouldn't look 'wrong'.
I might actually look into it as an option. Again all depending how far the rim itself sticks out the arch. Could be more hassle than it's worth!!
The price i got the Speedline RS4's for is the same as decent reps so it's worth having a trial fit i guess...

I would test them on the car before you sell them for sure, putting them on a car wont damage them, just be careful! :)