Gearknob removal?

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
Just a quickie....

How do you remove the gearknob on a manual?
The circular thin silver trim at the top gone a bit funny (and sharp) and is cutting my palms to shreds.
I need to swap it.

Is it just a case of twisting it off?

Would rather know before I start guessing and pulling it around.

Cheers

I've a small nick in mine too - cant really see it but you can feel it! If its any thing like the 8L it just pulls off vertically.

Tell me about it mate. My palm looks like someone has gone at it with a Stanley Knife!

I'll try pulling it off.

I'm looking for a replacement on ebay, but there's millions of dodgy looking ones. I just want the same as I already have.
Keep searching I guess.

Remove ashtray
Unscrew the gear stick surround
Turn the gear gaitor inside out - bring the surround over the top of the gear stick
Flat head screw driver to release the clip holding the gear knob on the the shaft
Lift off

Easy

How does the S3 gearknob feel on a TDi as it looks shorter - does it shorten the throw when changing gears?

I think i'm right in saying the knob and stick are all one unit.
Just remove the ashtray, get your fingers down the back of the gearstick surround and PULL. Don't be scared of snapping it, it just pops out with a bit of force.

I have actually got a barely used S-Line stick and gator for sale if required.

What if I have no ashtray? I have the non smoking option, so how do I remove the trim from around the bear stick?

I would imagine the gear stick surround is still identical? So that will just pop out the same.

What does the non smoking pack have in place of the ashtray? Just a storage compartment?

I just replace mine on saturday, the chrome was chipping. brought a excellent one from member on here £30 gearknob and leather gaiter, chuffed :D

I would imagine the gear stick surround is still identical? So that will just pop out the same.

What does the non smoking pack have in place of the ashtray? Just a storage compartment?

Its just an open area, with a non slip mat covering. Just an open storage area.

So I just pull the gaiter up and the surround will come with it?

Cheers

Old thread i know, but i am doing this on mine as the chrome ring around the top has cracked and you can feel
it in your palm, got one of ebay from a 2006 TDI which is as new for £29

Does anyone know if the leather gear gaiter can be split from the gear knob properly?

My gaiter has detached itself from the knob so I was going hoping to buy just a new gaiter and attach it the old gear knob.

Does anyone know if the leather gear gaiter can be split from the gear knob properly?

My gaiter has detached itself from the knob so I was going hoping to buy just a new gaiter and attach it the old gear knob.
After checking out mine i couldn't see where gaitor would come apart as it is attached to plastic so i would say answer to your question would be NO .you can get a replacement on the Ebay for around £30

Reactions: Idrees