Gearchanges Rough at Low speed?

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
Noticed recently on My S4 b9 When slowing down sometimes the gearchanges are not smooth Ie there’s like a bit of a rough jerk or shove. Primarily happens between gears 1 and 3 when going up or down it’s not smooth.
Anyone experienced this? Think it might be a trip to the dealer as it’s beginning to get irritating.

Just read online it could be due to my driving style but I’m not sure. It’s never done this before or not that I’ve noticed.

Mine has done this from new. It's never gotten any worse and doesn't happen all the time so I've not been able to find a way of replicating it. I've just gotten used to it to be honest!

Reactions: Chris S 1245
I'll also add that it's still not as bad as the 2nd to 1st gear change at slow speed in my B8.5 3.0tdi S-tronic! That was seriously rough...

Mine has done this from new. It's never gotten any worse and doesn't happen all the time so I've not been able to find a way of replicating it. I've just gotten used to it to be honest!
Have you taken yours back to the dealer mate? Only noticed mine in the last few days doing this.

2nd problem I’ve had with the car the other being an annoying rattle behind the dash that fixed itself. Hopefully this one does too.

Mine is fine other than sometimes it will change 2nd to 1st when still moving which jerks the car a bit. Previous RS3 never did that it only went to 1st when stopped.

TX.

Have you taken yours back to the dealer mate? Only noticed mine in the last few days doing this.

I can't say that I have to be honest. I know if I did that I wouldn't be able to replicate the problem... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If you do end up going back with it any anything comes of it then update us but I imagine Audi will just say that it's the way the box shifts gears or something else to blow you off.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I can't say that I have to be honest. I know if I did that I wouldn't be able to replicate the problem... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If you do end up going back with it any anything comes of it then update us but I imagine Audi will just say that it's the way the box shifts gears or something else to blow you off.
Yeah I definitely will going for a drive again soon just ruining the experience of the car as you expect it to be smooth. If the problem persists going back to Audi so they can have a look.

Reactions: Daggerit
Mine does it too in low gear / slow speed though I've only ever experienced it changing up under normal (gentle) acceleration. Like others have said it's not a frequent occurrence so I've just accepted it as a 'feature' being as I'm clearly not alone.

Well just an update it seems fine now in lower gears. But now I don’t know if I’m getting paranoid but when I downshifted to 1st in manual mode then put full power down there was a rough change in to 2nd gear I can’t say that I’ve noticed this before and sort of a delay when changing up if that makes sense.

Really starting to worry me.

Well just an update it seems fine now in lower gears. But now I don’t know if I’m getting paranoid but when I downshifted to 1st in manual mode then put full power down there was a rough change in to 2nd gear I can’t say that I’ve noticed this before and sort of a delay when changing up if that makes sense.

Really starting to worry me.

Just bear in mind it’s careful and does really slow, slushy shifts until the box is warmed up. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with what you experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris S 1245
Just bear in mind it’s careful and does really slow, slushy shifts until the box is warmed up. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with what you experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yh that might be why cheers mate. It was when engine oil was cold if I’m honest .

Well.... what a coincidence someone has posted a very similar thread on piston heads about their S5 Gearbox and they were talking about a gearbox software update they had done from the dealer? Anyone else heard of this . Apparently it’s solved the issue.

Just guessing here, but could it be the lock-up clutch?

"The eight-speed tiptronic is a classic torque-converter automatic transmission whose great strength lies in its high level of shifting and drive off comfort. Gear shifts are gentle, spontaneous, fast and highly flexible. Audi uses it in many models with a longitudinally mounted engine. Thanks to its eight speeds, jumps in rpm are small between gears, and the engine always runs near its ideal operating point. An rpm-adaptive torsion damper balances out undesired engine vibrations and enables efficient driving at extra-low engine speeds.

Also playing a large role in the efficiency ensemble is the torque converter lockup clutch with integrated damper. Under normal driving conditions, the lockup torque converter connects the transmission directly to the engine. It works with limited slip in certain situations, which – in interplay with the integrated damper – permits very low engine speeds without vibrations occurring. If the car is stationary, an internal clutch decouples the transmission from the engine, even if the “D” stage is still selected – this avoids losses due to oil circulation in the converter. As soon as the driver releases the brake, the clutch closes, and the damping effect of the torque converter ensures a smooth drive-off."

Just guessing here, but could it be the lock-up clutch?

"The eight-speed tiptronic is a classic torque-converter automatic transmission whose great strength lies in its high level of shifting and drive off comfort. Gear shifts are gentle, spontaneous, fast and highly flexible. Audi uses it in many models with a longitudinally mounted engine. Thanks to its eight speeds, jumps in rpm are small between gears, and the engine always runs near its ideal operating point. An rpm-adaptive torsion damper balances out undesired engine vibrations and enables efficient driving at extra-low engine speeds.

Also playing a large role in the efficiency ensemble is the torque converter lockup clutch with integrated damper. Under normal driving conditions, the lockup torque converter connects the transmission directly to the engine. It works with limited slip in certain situations, which – in interplay with the integrated damper – permits very low engine speeds without vibrations occurring. If the car is stationary, an internal clutch decouples the transmission from the engine, even if the “D” stage is still selected – this avoids losses due to oil circulation in the converter. As soon as the driver releases the brake, the clutch closes, and the damping effect of the torque converter ensures a smooth drive-off."
All seems well now seems to have sorted itself out. Will update thread if it occurs again.

Reactions: cuke2u
Even the car wow review mentions jerky gearshifts at low speeds. Quirk of the box.

Different gearbox, could only find that mentioned in the A4 review about the s-tronic box (dual clutch) and not the S4 with the ZF (torque converter)

Reactions: WesT-gefül