Gearboxes

Kwatrow

Reaction score
Thought I would post the question in this section as I believe the A6 can have either type. I wondered what the difference is between the Stronic and the Tiptronic gearboxes and how they play out in terms of driving. Any thoughts most welcome.

S-Tronic is a 7 speed twin clutch gearbox a.k.a DSG. Tiptronic is an 8 speed ZF box.

You can't choose which you have as such as it is the engine type that determines this.

The bigger torque engines , bitdi , RS6 have the Tiptronic so that's the stronger box .

Yes the Tiptronic will handle 900Nm+ and the S-Chronic will jerk and misbehave eventually leading to a 10K+ replacement , lol .

Gaz is right lol

However drove both S-Tronic (3.0 245) and Triptronic (my 3.0 biTDI 313) and in automatic and manual they felt almost the same going up the gears. With automatic and manual dropping down the gears the S-Tronic was more willing and quick to drop but in automatic and some situations it felt the S-Tronic was searching for gears which the Triptronic still hasn't done for me.

If you want to go the tuning route, then you can get a nice boost in bhp but I wouldn't recommend increasing the torque much on an s-tronic car but if you want alot of torque then it has to be the proven ZF boxes which as Gav mentioned can handle a lot of torque to go with the bhp.

I love the saying 'BHP for show Torque for go'

Yes the ZF boxes can handle quite a lot mines is dealing with 912nm torque. :)

Gaz is right lol

However drove both S-Tronic (3.0 245) and Triptronic (my 3.0 biTDI 313) and in automatic and manual they felt almost the same going up the gears. With automatic and manual dropping down the gears the S-Tronic was more willing and quick to drop but in automatic and some situations it felt the S-Tronic was searching for gears which the Triptronic still hasn't done for me.

Thanks for the driving analysis, this is what I was wondering.

Yes the ZF boxes can handle quite a lot mines is dealing with 912nm torque. :)

Sprightly then?

I have a tiptronic in mine 2014 and it only has 7 gears well that's what it says on the dash ??

Definitely 8 gears in 2014 as that was my cars year. Only goes into 8th over 60 and not if it's in sport/dynamic. Is yours a biturbo?

No not biturbo. it has the code for tiptronic on the ladel but only has 7 speed

The only versions of the A6/A7 that have the triptronic are the bitdi and the rs7 the rest including the s7 use the 7 speed s-tronic.

Like mentioned above the triptronic in sport mode or if you change from a comfort mode to dynamic limits itself to 7th gear to make sure its ready to give you more go and a sportier response.

The only versions of the A6/A7 that have the triptronic are the bitdi and the rs7 the rest including the s7 use the 7 speed s-tronic.

Like mentioned above the triptronic in sport mode or if you change from a comfort mode to dynamic limits itself to 7th gear to make sure its ready to give you more go and a sportier response.
Not quite - the pre-facelift 245TDI's used the ZF (tiptronic), but the later models use the Steptronic/S-tronic (DSG).

Also - all the earlier C7 3.0TDI (204PS) FWD's has MULTItronic :p

No not biturbo. it has the code for tiptronic on the ladel but only has 7 speed
So you have the later TDI, where the revised S-tronic (they changed the mechatronic units) has been tested to handle the toque better... it's a lot stronger, but the ~250PS TDI's are the highest torque engines that they put the DSG in, so you're already close to the limit... even if I get the pulley changed on my supercharger and I'm pushing 450bhp, only then will I be getting CLOSE to the stock torque that you have (although I'll have most of that from ~1500rpm to 6500rpm ;) )....

As mentioned above - the S-tronic boxes are very slick and efficient, provided you don't put too much torque through them... most of the tuning on a petrol is stopping the boost bleed and higher revs, so increasing the power by keeping torque higher in the rev range (but similar peak torque), so not really an issue until you start playing with the s'charger/turbo.... and increasing the peak boost pressures, but most TDI remaps increase the torque on the same rev range, normally even an "economy remap" will give a LOT more torque at lower revs, even if the headline BHP number scarcely changes. This is the torque that manufacturers tune out of diesels to make sure that the gearbox/clutch lasts the warranty period, so the one application that I really wouldn't recommend a DSG box for is a mid-spec TDI's that have the 7 speed DSG (e.g. the ~250PS).

Strange because mine has the code on the chassis sticker for tiptronic??? And it's defently a 7 speed

"Not quite - the pre-facelift 245TDI's used the ZF (tiptronic), but the later models use the Steptronic/S-tronic (DSG)."
Err, nope... 245 (pre-facelift) comes with the STronic 7 speed box. Happily running mine so no confusions there...

Sent from my mobile...

"Not quite - the pre-facelift 245TDI's used the ZF (tiptronic), but the later models use the Steptronic/S-tronic (DSG)."
Err, nope... 245 (pre-facelift) comes with the STronic 7 speed box. Happily running mine so no confusions there...

Sent from my mobile...
Okay should have been phrased to say that the earlier 245PS models had the ZF... later models had the DSG.... I can't remember the exact date of the switch-over...

Mine is a November 2011 with the S-Tronic

Fairly sure ALL the 245's came with S-Tronic.

Was it the C6 that had a ZF gearbox? They had 230bhp??

Reactions: Johnny31
Okay should have been phrased to say that the earlier 245PS models had the ZF... later models had the DSG.... I can't remember the exact date of the switch-over...
The only "change" Audi did on C7 was to drop multi for STronic on the facelift cars... ZF was only ever used on BiTDi and RS.

Sent from my mobile...

The only "change" Audi did on C7 was to drop multi for STronic on the facelift cars... ZF was only ever used on BiTDi and RS.

Sent from my mobile...
Feel I need to qualify this statement a bit further: this is the case for the UK market; not sure if there were differences elsewhere.

Sent from my mobile...