Gearbox?

Terminator x

Reaction score
I've never owned an "auto" so I'm still getting used to it. What are my options? I've worked out you need to push left (or is it right?!) for manual control using the lever but gawd knows why you'd want to use that clunky old thing ;) Pull back for sport mode but doesn't dynamic give you that eg why would you want it in say comfort mode? I can use the paddles of course (in any driving mode?) but the car seems to go right back to auto after a few seconds!

Confused, TX.

Push stick to left to use the paddles

In dynamic it automatically switches to sport mode unless you put it back into D

Personally I use Individual mode. When I want to play I use the paddles.

U can use paddles any time but if u want tu use for longer time put lever to the side…then u have to use paddles only…its fun;)the fun is starting right there…amazing sound when you are around 3500-4000 and then downswift…also great sound when you on full throttle and upshift around 6000 :)have fun ;))when u downshift dont use brake couse then u dont here crackle and pop :)sorry for my english but i know english guys ale smart so i hope u understand :p

Reactions: GRE57Y, Wango, RYuill and 1 other person
As above really, unless the stick is knocked over to 'proper' M position the paddles will only temporarily give you manual control before reverting back - on the assumption you did it for a quick downshift to overtake before wanting to revert to auto.

Note from the 'temporary' M mode you can pull and hold + and it will immediately go back to auto.

Reactions: Yorrick
I am 90% in manual mode, the only reason you use the stick to change a gear is if you have one hand on the wheel and you can't hangs with paddles, eg accelerating from a standing start pulling out a junction etc. The only time I am in full auto is the small time I drive in comfort.

This was all just with the S3... How on earth can you be in anything except for manual mode and dynamic?! The noise when changing down a gear is worth it. Every single time I come to a stop I'll change down manually just for the crackles/pops, but always 2 gears at a time eg 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd etc I found gives the best noise. I won't ever go 3rd to 1st unless going very slow.

When I use paddles car shifts up when hitting the limiter, should it do this ?

When I use paddles car shifts up when hitting the limiter, should it do this ?

If you are in manual mode, it will always shift up before hitting the limiter, or at least it should do. I had one occasion in the Rs where it hit the limiter. It's just a feature of the STronic to protect the gearbox

What about kickdown - on the test drive, with the stick over in M, it was still kicking down, so say in 4th at low revs, i planted it and it kicked down to 2nd. Surelty in M, it should should stay in 4th ...

I've not tried on mine as I'm not so keen on punishing the engine too hard initially, but on the demo drives I've done with the stick over in M it would definitely not auto upshift at redline (it's a soft limiter so not jerky when you hit it) and kickdown would definitely also not work...

I'll try it later once to be sure

I've not tried on mine as I'm not so keen on punishing the engine too hard initially, but on the demo drives I've done with the stick over in M it would definitely not auto upshift at redline (it's a soft limiter so not jerky when you hit it) and kickdown would definitely also not work...

I'll try it later once to be sure

Thanks and yeah maybe I was in temporary manual mode. Kickdown is a no no for me when in full manual. Ideally, i don't want it to upshift either, rather hit the limiter.

What about kickdown - on the test drive, with the stick over in M, it was still kicking down, so say in 4th at low revs, i planted it and it kicked down to 2nd. Surelty in M, it should should stay in 4th ...

It definitely doesn't kick down unless you press the kick down button under the accelerator. Eg, fully depress accelerator and then press a bit further and it will kick down. You can quite happily be in 7th gear at 35 mph and plant the foot to the floor and there will be no change.

When I had the demonstrator few months ago, I hit the limiter when in manual a few times and it did not change gear for me. I assumed it would as it did in my S3 but not in the RS3. I haven't tried it with my one, was just the demonstrator.

Reactions: TMP-Audi
So I've been practising in dynamic + manual over the last few days and the noise when shifting from 3rd to 2nd is :wub:

TX.

Reactions: Kelza and billyali86
It definitely doesn't kick down unless you press the kick down button under the accelerator. Eg, fully depress accelerator and then press a bit further and it will kick down. You can quite happily be in 7th gear at 35 mph and plant the foot to the floor and there will be no change.

yeah, but in full manual mode, i dont want it to kick down, even if i go past the kick down button?

When I had the demonstrator few months ago, I hit the limiter when in manual a few times and it did not change gear for me. I assumed it would as it did in my S3 but not in the RS3. I haven't tried it with my one, was just the demonstrator.

ok, thats good news for the up changes :)

So I've been practising in dynamic + manual over the last few days and the noise when shifting from 3rd to 2nd is :wub:

TX.

Haha, sounds fab! have you seen it kick down in manual?

Checked today for you, no kick down in manual even if you push the accelerator past the point where it naturally stops.

TX.

Reactions: TMP-Audi and josedebardi
Checked today for you, no kick down in manual even if you push the accelerator past the point where it naturally stops.

TX.

Brill, thanks for checking. Although I have still not yet ordered. Struggling to let go of the M6 mentally by pushing the order button :flushed:

Ha ha, hard to imagine what could top a M6 though!

TX.

I also tested the red line this morning - it definitely won't upshift so long as the stick is over in M. The Mrs face was priceless!

Now that I'm getting used to it I put it in dynamic and manual as soon as the oil is warm! I fear for the world's supply of fuel ;)

TX.

Reactions: Yorrick and Ozmosis
I also tested the red line this morning - it definitely won't upshift so long as the stick is over in M. The Mrs face was priceless!

Hmmm will try this on my way home later..... need to see the priceless face mask on the Mrs :scared2:

Reactions: Terminator x and josedebardi