Gearbox Options?

Donfero

Reaction score
Usually I do my research before I post anything here, I really dont like to sound stupid.
Will the case here is and as all of us FWD Multitronic gear box owners have discovered that the no matter how you tune ur car the gearbox won't handle the power. So I was wondering has anyone ever heard of a sequential gearbox for the B7?

hijacking slightly, is this Multitronic rather than Tiptronic that can't take power increase?
I've got the ZF in my 3.0Tdi

Pretty sure there's just the Tip (traditional auto), Multi-Trauma (CVT) and the conventional manual. Not seen a DSG on the B7.

Maybe my understanding of a sequential gearbox is not clear. Im talking about the gearbox they fit on racing cars, the one where you have to press the clutch when engaging first gear but the rest of the gears you just pull down or up on the stick. I have seen it on Subaru and on Porsches. I think they are aftermarket

Sorry thought you meant DSG, I've never seen a sequential dog box on a B7.

It's not really a popular car for racing, so race car parts are probably going to be thin on the ground.

Reactions: Donfero
A Dog Box, so thats what its called?
I know it wouldnt be a good choice for a daily driven car but im just trying to think of ways to get rid of the Multitronic. I read somewhere that there is a dog box for the b5 but haven't found it for the b7. Thanks for the info now i know what to search for.

A 'dog box' has dog clutches (like a motorbike), rather than using synchromesh (like road cars). They also often have straight cut gears, which is why bikes and race cars make that loud whining sound, and clunk when you shift.

I'd imagine if you could find one, or a conversion, for a B7 it would be very expensive, and like you say pretty horrible on a daily driver.

I'm afraid the best way to fix a Multitronic is to find a nice manual car, so you can sell it. :)

If you're doing all the work yourself, have the space, the time, the expertise and a real interest in the conversion for it's own sake. Go for it!

If not, then take what the conversion would cost you, add that to the value of your current car, and go buy a manual quattro. You've got a reliable car, you can take your time and find a really solid base for a project.

All imo of course, but I've started projects with the 'wrong' car before. You're investing significant time, swears and money to get to where you could have started in the first place.

The problem is here in my country Audis are expensive and rare, there are 3 Quattro b7, one was recently totalled, that leaves us with 2. Another reason is that i have this weird love and affection for my car.
I have done this project twice before on a Golf and a Toyota Celica, both were sold with a great loss compared to what was paid.
Its still just a thought, maybe i will and maybe i wont.

Sorry mate didn't realise you were in Jordan! There's a decent number of reasonably priced B7's here in the uk. So it makes little financial sense to pay other people to do that kind of work.

Reactions: Donfero