Gearbox oil

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening ladies and gents.
I dropped the oil out of my box tonight. Its done nearly 150k and I'm about to drive to Hungary.
So i dropped it out and I've got out 3.6L
Audi advised i would need 4 litres to change the oil.
I got the car jacked up on level ground and filled it through the side hole and it never over flowed like i would expect.
So I've taken out 3.6l plus some that went on the floor. Fair to assume that over 150k it's used some and the bit on the floor takes it to 4l? Or should i be worried?

I'm not overly worried btw.

Cheers.

I would get another bottle and top it off. Do you have the car 100% level? As in jacked up on 4 axle stands, not just jacked up at the front? As that will make a big difference.

Yeah I jacked it up level with 4 stands. I'll jack it up again Friday night and check it again.

If it's level on 4 stands then I would get another bottle and fill it up. Then again, some boxes are supposed to be filled up to 10mm BELOW the fill plug (check with a bent piece of wire).

What car is it? What type of gearbox? Quattro or 2WD? I can check ElsaWin and see if it's one of the boxes that should be 10mm below the fill hole, in which case it may be ok, but still check the level on Friday to be sure it is 10mm below and not 30mm below.

If you give me the info I can check for you tomorrow night after work.

Cheers bud.
2wd 2.0 tdie 6 speed manual. Audi have said 4 litres on the phone to two garages.

Just had a look, absolutely nothing in ElsaWin about the oil probably because it's "Sealed For Life". Personally I would fill it until it comes out of the hole.

Odd thing is they do list the oil levels for other gearboxes. Most tend to say the correct level is the bottom of the fill hole (basically fill it until it pours out then leave it to stop dripping before refitting the plug), which is what I would go for.

Reactions: AudiLeon
I'm going to check it tomorrow night. There's deffo more gone in than came out.

Thank you.

I would always have 4ltrs to allow for any spillages but the box itself should only hold 3.4ltrs. I've changed mine on my S4 twice now and I've always had about 0.5ltr left from my 4ltrs