Gearbox oil

stevey_boy

Reaction score
Ive recently noticed a slight notchy feeling when selecting first and reverse gear in my 2002 A4 1.9 tdi which has 125k miles on it, my mechanic has advised me to replace the gearbox oil, is this wise to do as ive been told to leave alone as the oil audi put in shud still be ok.

Anyone any experiance with this and what is the best oil to use?

Thanks Stephen

Last edited:
a change wont hurt, im the same and will do mine soon, i believe its the rear diff oil on a quattro thats in for life

a change wont hurt, im the same and will do mine soon, i believe its the rear diff oil on a quattro thats in for life

Really??? Was about to order all fluids for mine to replace

Just go straight to Audi for your oils - they do stock them. I had some on my old B5 V6 Quattro and it only cost £9 for the oil. It made a huge difference to the tranmission too, soooo much smoother and probably pro-longed the life off the box as well.

I would highly recommend.

I went and phoned Audi and asked what gearbox oil and how many liter's I would need for my A4 190t (54) . The reply i got was 1. Is the car petrol or diesel ??? 2. The guy asked me for my chassis as there are two type's. After telling him i don't have the car in front of me to give him the chassis number he said he can't help.

Can anyone help me with this. What oil do i require and how many liter's does my A4 190T (54) need

I went and phoned Audi and asked what gearbox oil and how many liter's I would need for my A4 190t (54) . The reply i got was 1. Is the car petrol or diesel ??? 2. The guy asked me for my chassis as there are two type's. After telling him i don't have the car in front of me to give him the chassis number he said he can't help.

Can anyone help me with this. What oil do i require and how many liter's does my A4 190T (54) need

Colin, ring another dealership! They are idiots because they can do it from your reg number - I get asked for mine all the time and just give them the reg and within seconds they have everything they need to know - it sounds like you got some nine to fiver "can't be ***** idiot" on the phone - like we all know our chassis number of the top of our heads!!

Audi gearbox oil differs if 6 speed or 5 speed allthough all are 75w90 synthetic oils. The diff oil is also a 75w90 but its calles "axle oil" instead and it has a different part number indeed. I have filled my quattro's gearbox and rear diff with gearbox oil and no problems soo far, been like that for about 50k... However, the oil that drained wasnt deteriorated at all but the diff was a tad lower-no leaks either-but, on some cars the oil was pretty rough with bronze shavings in suspension(from syncros) and some were a different composition like 2 imischible liquids were mixed (like oil and water) ! The new rear diff oil is much thinner than the old oils...

imischible

What a great word, every days a school day.

Is there a tutorial on where the drain and level bolts are or is it obvious when under there.
Mines baulking a little when cold and just wondering if a change may improve it.

Technically front gearbox needs a GL4 oil and the rear diff a GL5 although both have the same 75w90 weight. There are plenty of oils out there which are GL4&5 compliant. I used Fuchs

Reactions: 3.0V6Sport
Audi just quoted me £16.79 per litre for their geabox oil. He could not tell the grading ............. or is not allowed to.
You need 2.4 litres too.
Hope this helps.

Audi just quoted me £16.79 per litre for their geabox oil. He could not tell the grading ............. or is not allowed to.
You need 2.4 litres too.
Hope this helps.

I have sorted out some gearbox oil from TPS. £30 for 3 ltr's.

Just an update. Gearbox oil, Engine oil and all filter's and coolant all changed. My main man S4twiggy/Grant's double garage came in handy yet again. Big thank's to him and his old man for getting all OEM part's for me as well as getting there hand's dirty.
Photo0089-1.jpg