1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Gearbox, nothing happening

Steven Teixeira Sep 26, 2019

1. Steven Teixeira

Steven Teixeira Registered User

Hi there, new member here.
    I recently bought this 2011B8S4 with a engine problem, none runner, standing for 8 months, i never drove the car, had bearings replaced, according to the previous owner it was driving fine.

Problem is there is no gears what so ever, there is also no codes for the gearbox when a computer was plugged in, im at a loss now as what to do or where to start, a gearbox place i contacted told me it should be calibrated but the calibration couldnt start, other faults are abs and handbrake, even though the handbrake does work..

Any ideas on where to start looking?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Man

4. Steven Teixeira

Thanks, it is the dsg 7 speed

5. CarbonMike

CarbonMike Registered User

If theres no drive & no gearbox fault codes the clutch is probably dead, that would be my first guess.

Also, does the handbrake actually release? If the brake master cyclinder is dead you wont get any drive even if the shifter is in drive. Could explain the ABS light maybe?

6. Steven Teixeira

Yes the handbrake works both ways, abs fault is front left wheel sensor, what could happen that the clutch could go, while the car was standing.. The engine was removed to do it over

7. CarbonMike

Of course the previous owner is going to say it worked fine before it broke....

8. Steven Teixeira

I did test the car when i bought it, i started it, put it in reverse and drive and it wanted to move both ways, and then i turned it off and had it towed on a flatbed home.. Now when its in drive or reverse it does absolutely nothing.

9. CarbonMike

So you did drive the car then... because you said at first you didnt drive it :S

10. Steven Teixeira

Didnt drive it, just felt it in gear with my foot on the brake

11. Owyn

Owyn Registered User

Have you tried a new battery in it? Lots of random, inexplicable warning lights after a long lay up could be caused by poor voltage.