Gearbox Malfunction...

What about the extra 80NM of torque?

When I test drove a 2.0TFSI A3 the 320NM of torque against the 380NM of the TDI was the noticeable difference between the two, and even though it was supremely smoother, it was a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
To be honest I never noticed the difference driving the car on 'A' roads at normal speeds, perhaps it is more noticeable on the motorway. One thing was apparent though, unlike the petrol engine the diesel one was sluggish to accelerate if the rpm was too low, however the 2.0l petrol at the same rpm pulled away much better.
But hey, lets not turn this into a petrol versus diesel debate ok? I was asked how I got on with the diesel and I gave my opinion. So lets now keep on topic about my gearbox malfunction please...

To what extent do people think the way the car is driven is relevant? To give a not very relevant parallel, you see people manoeuvring who race back in reverse and before the car has stopped moving backwards, they're in 1st gear and pulling away. Not good for the drive shafts and probably not good for the clutch either.

Now none of us is going to admit to being a poor driver, but is it possible to abuse an automatic gearbox in a way that could account wholly or in part for the failures we will continue to see reported? Failure after 500 miles is not the driver's fault, but longer term surely driving with consideration for the car must be a factor in gearbox longevity.
I can definitely say I haven't abused my gearbox at all and, given the increase in torque, I would have though gearbox failure would be more likely with a diesel. But in reality this is nothing to do with the engine at all and how I could even abuse a stronic gearbox over just 1178 miles is beyond me...

I noticed the lack of lag with the S tronic when I test drove the TFSI. I mentioned to the salesperson and was told it was more a diesel problem.
I've driven both the 190TFSI and a 190TDI Quattro both S Tronic and to be honest the only thing that stuck me was the smoothness and refinement of the petrol. The lack of Torque never really came into play. The TFSI was certainly more urgent of the line.

It would be interesting to know if the 3 reports of gearbox issues were all built around the same time and might 'just' be a faulty batch?

I remember when the Seat Leon mk3 Cupra came out pretty much the first batch of cars suffered the same turbo failure, the same was happening to VW Golf GTIs made at the same time. Turned out a certain batch of the fan blades in the turbo hadn't been made to the right tolerances and once they expanded with the heat they cut groves in the turbo housing and typically shattered.

Sorry to hear of the problems. At least Audi sorted out a decent replacement rather than the tatty old A5 you were given. Fingers crossed it will be fixed soon cuke2u.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and cuke2u
Sorry to hear of the problems. At least Audi sorted out a decent replacement rather than the tatty old A5 you were given. Fingers crossed it will be fixed soon cuke2u.

+1 to the above!

I read with interest about the chinese gearbox factory, but assume that is for chinese market audi's and our uk models are fitted with gearboxes made in Ingolstadt?

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u
To what extent do people think the way the car is driven is relevant?

Now none of us is going to admit to being a poor driver, but is it possible to abuse an automatic gearbox in a way that could account wholly or in part for the failures we will continue to see reported? Failure after 500 miles is not the driver's fault, but longer term surely driving with consideration for the car must be a factor in gearbox longevity.

In normal use I'd think not. However my old A4 had been used as a tow car for a heavy trailer for a year and ended up with a new S tronic box at 28k before I picked it up.

Probably running significant extra torque through retuning or repeated launch control type starts could be enough to bring on a premature failure. My B7 A4 ZF torque converter 6 speed abruptly started random jerking on down shifts after 70k miles for no apparent reason.

Yeah but as I have been running the engine in and driving using the automated systems there has been no abuse of the gearbox what so ever. I treat my cars with respect...

I've had four of these 'boxes (2 x DQ250's, a DQ500 and this DQ501) with one failure at 13k miles in the TT. That was the mileage I began ownership though so no idea on previous abuse. That needed new mechatronic with DMF too, about £4k over the 2 warranty claims. Apart from that blip, faultless performance over approx 200k+ miles. Although I'd still not want to have one and be without a warranty.

The DQ501 (basically a DQ500 for longitudinal motors) in the B9 is rated to 600 torques, I reckon you're just unlucky with a "friday afternoon" unit, hope it gets sorted quickly and they just swap the whole thing out and don't just try throwing parts at it....

You could be right, although at this moment of time I don't yet know what has failed. However as far as I understood it the 7 speed fitted to the b9 is a newly designed unit and has a dl prefix for the mlb platform such as the dl382?

Last edited:
Yeah but as I have been running the engine in and driving using the automated systems there has been no abuse of the gearbox what so ever. I treat my cars with respect...
Nobody was accusing you of mistreating your car. I said in my post that failure after 500 miles is not driver error and that would apply equally to failure after 1100 miles. I was just drawing attention to the way you see some people treat their cars, but not you, cuke.

When I was growing up, our next door neighbour was a rep who virtually lived in his car. He had a new model every 18 months or so, but every car he had while I lived with my parents had early clutch replacement. My dad used to say that given how he pulled away each time he drove off, it was hardly surprising. That's the sort of driver I had in mind.

No worries wideboybloke, I didn't think you were I just wanted to clarify that any driver induced failure is not the reason in this case.

Just had a phone from the dealership and they say they are replacing the gearbox control unit and some service items. The car might be ready by saturday, fingers crossed, however I have asked to speak to the technician when I collect the car to get a more detailed explanation..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NickGun
Just had a phone from the dealership and they say they are replacing the gearbox control unit and some service items. The car might be ready by saturday, fingers crossed, however I have asked to speak to the technician when I collect the car to get a more detailed explanation..

Some progress at least, should see you in your A4 again by the weekend :smiley: and good call to ask for a more detailed explanation of what's been done, as "some service items" definitely needs more clarification, keep us posted :redrs4:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I would expect it's the gearbox oil and the filters as they would be changed as a matter of course...

Not going to get my car back until next week now it seems, still awaiting some parts. I hope it is soon because this loaner is getting on my nerves now.

Not going to get my car back until next week now it seems, still awaiting some parts. I hope it is soon because this loaner is getting on my nerves now.

Sorry to hear that cuke2u. What's up with the loaner?

Its a diesel, unfortunately these very cold mornings make a oil burner very apparent, and a sline it isn't. Plus there is nothing like being in your own car though...

Reactions: Brasso
I thoroughly agree about being in your own car. My loaner is only 5 months old, 2000 miles on the clock and is not the underpowered loaners I've had in the past. Also my car is sitting somewhere reasonably secure (as far as I know) so I have nothing to complain about. But it's just not the same as having your own car...

Reactions: cuke2u and Brasso
Mine is't a underpowered car either and I really appreciate the efforts audi went to, in the end, to get me into a comparable vehicle. It's not a shabby car by any stretch of the imagination and I am sure many would love to be in a vehicle such as it is. But it would never be my choice of transport. I remember the test drive they gave me in a A4 many months ago, in fact its almost a year today, that was a diesel A4 Avant and it totally put me off buying one and it wasn't until I had a drive in a 2.0l tfsi stronic was I sold on the brand.

I thought we weren't turning this into petrol versus diesel??

I am not, just expressing my personal views, thus, if I have offended you, I apologise. I did state many would be very happy with the loaner I have, its just diesels are not my cup of tea. However what put me off a A4, after my initial test drive, was the very harsh ride that car had and, at that time this was the only experience I'd had of the B9. After driving other A4's I quickly realised that particular car was not representative.

Last edited:
Mate, I'm just winding you up.

All your talk of petrol has be reconsidering

Anyway, back on topic. I guess this is the unit they're replacing. Also I have found out the gearbox model from here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...GPPH_6H3F3-fc7ncBDdCQA&bvm=bv.142059868,d.d2s

"Audi
As the first type of the new S tronic platform Audi is introducing the new dual-clutch transmission DL382-7F. The seven-speed transmission is for use in vehicles from the modular longitudinal matrix (MLB). It is conceived for a torque of 400 Nm and for engine output of up to 200 kW."

Attachments

• tcu.png
    tcu.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:

Attachments

• Gearbox.png
    Gearbox.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Reactions: Ricksta8 and Rob_F
I've seen some breakdowns of other DSGs and they are... pretty complex. Certainly why I went for the 4 year warranty so I don't have to worry about it!

Reactions: cuke2u and A4B9
I doubt if I'll keep mine that long, have my eyes on a TT Roadster for my next car..

Reactions: itchyhippo and Brasso
Loved the video link - thanks! spent the last hour watching all sorts of stuff about the 3.0L V6!

You're welcome, I just played it to my partner by mirroring it from my tablet to our TV, needless to say she wasn't that impressed. Doesn't understand these things :)

Fascinating stuff. To think all that is going on as you drive along the road. No wonder replacement gearboxes cost £thousands!

I don't know if the 2.0l diesel has the same gearbox, I only researched the 2.0l petrol version. It maybe that the diesel has an alternative, explains though why the gearbox is different for the 3.0l diesels...

I can't find anything definitive either, I assumed DQ501 but thinking about it, it behaves a lot different to the DQ500 in my Tiguan but could be just software.

Had a phone call from the dealership today to say the car is now in running order however they wish to perform a final cold start test tomorrow morning to be sure everything is ok. As I won't be able to pick it up until thursday afternoon anyway because of work commitments that's fine by me...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, maui and NickGun
Had a phone call from the dealership today to say the car is now in running order however they wish to perform a final cold start test tomorrow morning to be sure everything is ok. As I won't be able to pick it up until thursday afternoon anyway because of work commitments that's fine by me...

Good news :smiley: lets hope its perfect from now on - given the early nature of the issue I'm sure they to want to thoroughly test it to be very, very sure that its 100% sorted.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and cuke2u