Gearbox Malfunction...

cuke2u

Reaction score
Just got home from holiday, unloaded the car, went to start it up and park upon our driveway and I had the dreaded gearbox malfunction please stop the car and select 'P' come on. Restarting the car several times seemed to clear it and I managed to get the thing onto our drive but now I can't move it. I have restarted it several times but the message keeps coming up and I cannot select any gears.
Have a Audi technician turning up between 17:00-19:00 as I don't think it's a job for the AA. They can take it away an have it for as long as is needed to fix the problem as far as I'm concerned. The car needs to be moved as it is now blocking in our other one.

Just got home from holiday, unloaded the car, went to start it up and park upon our driveway and I had the dreaded gearbox malfunction please stop the car and select 'P' come on. Restarting the car several times seemed to clear it and I managed to get the thing onto our drive but now I can't move it. I have restarted it several times but the message keeps coming up and I cannot select any gears.
Have a Audi technician turning up between 17:00-19:00 as I don't think it's a job for the AA. They can take it away an have it for as long as is needed to fix the problem as far as I'm concerned. The car needs to be moved as it is now blocking in our other one.

Good job it didn't happen on holiday!

Quite, the techie is here and he is running some diagnostics. Mobilee phone signal is rubbish here so I have had to link him to our wifi..

Last edited:
Something has broke inside the gearbox, doesn't sound good, tow truck and courtesy car coming tomorrow morning...
Oh and only 1100 mileage...

Last edited:
Something has broke inside the gearbox, doesn't sound good, tow truck and courtesy car coming tomorrow morning...
Oh and only 1100 mileage...

Ouch, hopefully its nothing major so can be sorted swiftly and satisfactorily, our gearbox has (so far) been perfect over 7 months and 9.3k.
Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers for that, it isn't going to be a positive advertisement for Audi as it leaves our road. Everyone knows everyone's business here..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Ouch! At least they were quick with taking it away to get sorted. It's always tough to swallow when it's so new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovery turned up at 08:30 this morning to collect the car. Had difficulty getting it out of the driveway so we had the AA in also to tow it out whilst I sat inside steering and holding it out of park. Courtesy vehicle is on its way...

Recovery turned up at 08:30 this morning to collect the car. Had difficulty getting it out of the driveway so we had the AA in also to tow it out whilst I sat inside steering and holding it out of park. Courtesy vehicle is on its way...

Needs an unlike button - as before hoping for a quick, efficient turnaround and outcome for you mate.

Cheers for that, it isn't going to be a positive advertisement for Audi as it leaves our road. Everyone knows everyone's business here..

I hate that. Everybody likes a good curtain twitch huh? Hope it's sorted swiftly mate. Courtesy? S Tronic or Tip?

I hate that. Everybody likes a good curtain twitch huh? Hope it's sorted swiftly mate. Courtesy? S Tronic or Tip?

Don't know yet, it might have to be a rental car if eastbourne audi have no courtesy cars spare. I'm waiting on a call back now as I was outside when they rang about it this morning. To be honest as long as it isn't a ford ka or a micra I'm not really bothered what it is...

Its a A5 Sline Quattro, that's all I know for the moment, probably a diesel but only a couple of months old..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Gazwould
Saw some A5's in the showroom today, one nice looking car for sure

Yes I am hoping it is the new one, as you say very good looking..

Wow, gearbox failure after only 1100 miles? This is seriously bad news on Audi quality.

Seriously disappointed in the replacement car, it is the old A5 coupe and there are bits of trim missing from the front. I am on the phone to the vehicle replacement team now and I'm going to reject this. It looks like a breakers car and not what I should be driving around in..

Wow, gearbox failure after only 1100 miles? This is seriously bad news on Audi quality.
Perhaps they need to do something about the quality control at the Chinese factory where the boxes are assembled..

Hoping you get a quick, and lasting resolution to this mate. I thought it was bad when my A3 needed a new radiator! But a gearbox failure? Sickening.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had the dmf and the clutch replaced on my 2014 A3 after just under 5000 miles so transmission issues seem to be following me with Audi. Never had this with any of my Fords so I don't think its my driving, I am probably one of the smoothest and gentle drivers going.

I had the dmf and the clutch replaced on my 2014 A3 after just under 5000 miles so transmission issues seem to be following me with Audi. Never had this with any of my Fords so I don't think its my driving, I am probably one of the smoothest and gentle drivers going.
I had a facelift Ford Focus 1.8 petrol for over eight years from new. Couldn't fault it. I got rid of it with 135,000 miles on the clock and it still had its original clutch. Having to replace the exhaust and alternator in a matter of weeks though made me realise that the clutch could be next. IMO they're rock solid, but they're not quite an Audi!! You don't get that satisfying thud when you close the door, the panel gaps aren't as precise and they're not as nice to sit in as an Audi.

Any joy with rejecting the A5?

They were, apparently, busy when I rang so I was told they'd be ringing back, so that was half an hour ago. I can't fault them for effort as they've really been excellent at sorting this out for me. Its just that the replacement vehicle looks like something eurocar has dug out from the back of the garage...

Nothing is as good as some past products , wot no quality control , just banging out by the volume without a care in the world .

It's all mass produced these days whether it be an mercedes, bmw or a audi...

Spoke to Eastbourne Audi just now, the car arrived at 12:30ish yesterday so they've not had a chance to look at it yet. Hopefully they will today but if any parts are needed then the earliest I'll get it back is late next week.

Oh dear - my worst fear and one of the reasons I have not had an automatic until now. I took the plunge with my A4 on the basis that whilst it's under warranty, any gearbox issues are not my problem. It still doesn't remove the hassle factor if the thing plays up though. I decided to go s tronic after assurances on the A3 forum from other s tronic owners who swear by it so I've been watching this forum closely for problems with the gearbox and yours appears to be the second instance. So sorry that it's happened to you and I shall be interested to know the diagnosis and solution. I shall also probably worry myself silly about mine now too, but then there's always that warranty...

It sounds like an early life failure of a component, probably unlikely to affect all units or else we would have seen it reported a lot more on here. Very unlucky, especially at this time of year!

Hope they get it sorted for you quickly, and I agree the courtesy car doesn't sound great. I'd be pushing for something better, at least an A6!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oh dear - my worst fear and one of the reasons I have not had an automatic until now. I took the plunge with my A4 on the basis that whilst it's under warranty, any gearbox issues are not my problem. It still doesn't remove the hassle factor if the thing plays up though. I decided to go s tronic after assurances on the A3 forum from other s tronic owners who swear by it so I've been watching this forum closely for problems with the gearbox and yours appears to be the second instance. So sorry that it's happened to you and I shall be interested to know the diagnosis and solution. I shall also probably worry myself silly about mine now too, but then there's always that warranty...
It is a different gearbox to the one fitted to pfl A3's though and I am not sure which of the fl a3's have this one..

DSC 0320
DSC 0321

The car they sent me, just spend some time again on the phone trying to sort out another vehicle.

Ok, it seems they have got me a 2016 A4 Avant Sport and I have to go to the Eastbourne Audi branch to swop over the car tomorrow morning. At least that'll be a bit better than the A5 coupe I have at present. Plus I can have a chat to them about mine but today has been a hard slog trying to sort everything out..

Reactions: Brasso, Thundercliffe81, NickGun and 2 others
I had this problem too some weeks ago. 1.4TFSI B9... 11000km. They had to replace the mechatronic, took them almost 4 weeks.
I have seen more and more B9's with the problem, let's hope the B9's stronic is not a ticking timebomb that can brick anytime... i already feel bad i didn't choose a manual.

Last edited:
In the U.K. the 1.4 tfsi isn't available with the s tronic box, not according to the Configurator anyway. I wonder if there is anything about that particular engine with the s tronic box, although that combination is available for the A3. Just a thought. Since exca has referred to the km covered by his failed gearbox, I presume he is outside the UK.

I am not sure but I think the 1.4 might have the older s tronic gearbox, the 7 gear unit as fitted to the a4 is a new one that came out with the b9..

I now have a black A4 avant sport 2.0l diesel sitting on my driveway, much better car than the A5 coupe they first gave me to use. My thanks to eastbourne audi for sorting me out a more suitable vehicle.
As for my car, they still don't know what the issue with the gearbox is but it was up on the ramps when I was there. Unless they manage to look at it today it'll next tuesday before anything will happen...

I now have a black A4 avant sport 2.0l diesel sitting on my driveway, much better car than the A5 coupe they first gave me to use. My thanks to eastbourne audi for sorting me out a more suitable vehicle.
As for my car, they still don't know what the issue with the gearbox is but it was up on the ramps when I was there. Unless they manage to look at it today it'll next tuesday before anything will happen...

Good luck bud. I'm glad you've got something far more acceptable in the meantime.

Reactions: cuke2u
It would be interesting to know how you get on with the 2.0 diesel. Do let us know.

I have put my thoughts on the Calling all 190 TFSI Stronic driver opinions thread but I will copy in here what I wrote:
"Having now driven back to back both a 2.0l tfsi petrol A4 with s-tronic gearbox and now a 2.0l diesel with a manual gearbox the differences are quite apparent. The petrol engine is definately more refined and quieter than the diesel is. Although the diesel engine characteristics are very much dampened down there is still the low down drone of a diesel and I can feel vibrations both through the steering wheel and especially the gear lever which is quite a 'tingle stick' and it does move slightly when you accelerate. Having said that, compared to the A5 coupe the A4 diesel is remarkably refined and I averaged just over 50mpg on the run back from Eastbourne..."

Thanks for the continued updates cuke2u, sorry you are having an issue with you car.

Are there any reports of s-tronic malfunctions on diesel cars or have these cases been limited to TFSI petrols?

I have put my thoughts on the Calling all 190 TFSI Stronic driver opinions thread but I will copy in here what I wrote:
"Having now driven back to back both a 2.0l tfsi petrol A4 with s-tronic gearbox and now a 2.0l diesel with a manual gearbox the differences are quite apparent. The petrol engine is definately more refined and quieter than the diesel is. Although the diesel engine characteristics are very much dampened down there is still the low down drone of a diesel and I can feel vibrations both through the steering wheel and especially the gear lever which is quite a 'tingle stick' and it does move slightly when you accelerate. Having said that, compared to the A5 coupe the A4 diesel is remarkably refined and I averaged just over 50mpg on the run back from Eastbourne..."
What about the extra 80NM of torque?

When I test drove a 2.0TFSI A3 the 320NM of torque against the 380NM of the TDI was the noticeable difference between the two, and even though it was supremely smoother, it was a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the continued updates cuke2u, sorry you are having an issue with you car.

Are there any reports of s-tronic malfunctions on diesel cars or have these cases been limited to TFSI petrols?

See this: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/its-arrived-and-gone-again.301782/

S-Tronic gearbox failure on a delivery mileage B9 diesel Avant, I'm watching these threads closely as we have an S-Tronic 3.0TDi 218 Quattro Avant, fast approaching 10k miles and, so far, gearbox has been faultless.

To what extent do people think the way the car is driven is relevant? To give a not very relevant parallel, you see people manoeuvring who race back in reverse and before the car has stopped moving backwards, they're in 1st gear and pulling away. Not good for the drive shafts and probably not good for the clutch either.

Now none of us is going to admit to being a poor driver, but is it possible to abuse an automatic gearbox in a way that could account wholly or in part for the failures we will continue to see reported? Failure after 500 miles is not the driver's fault, but longer term surely driving with consideration for the car must be a factor in gearbox longevity.

Reactions: Kestrel