Gearbox Malfunction warning S4 B8

Reaction score
This warning popped up on my way home last night, but promptly went off. Gearbox seems fine, have all gears and this morning the warning hasn't re-appeared.

I have a fear that something is on its way out though, so did a bit of search today on this forum and seems like there could be a recall issue for my version of this car.
However the car has done 90k miles (ive done 50k) so imagine it would have been done before I owned it? (only had the car 2 years).

I will see there are any fault codes stored and go from there. But a little concerned seeing I hear this is an eye watering repair bill.
I did think the gearbox was a little jerky the other week, but assumed that was due to the cold snap we had recently, so noticeable performance change.

Anything else I can check for?

Have you had the gearbox oil and filter changed since you've had it? Should be Done every 38k miles so the 2nd change should have been done during your ownership.

Possibly Circuit board error its common. Its located in the gearbox, get Audi Main dealer to scan what the codes are?

No codes showed using carista.
I'm going to get vcds checked just in caSe.

Sorry I hijacked another thread re this issue too.

Odd indeed. But worrying.
I was thinking of changing for a lower mileage s4 later next year. Maybe that needs to accelerate now! although the whole thing about failing stronic also concerns Me.

Probably the gearbox ECU, it logs a code, mine needed done. Looking at £1200 from Audi for a repair kit and fresh oil/gasket etc.

Probably the gearbox ECU, it logs a code, mine needed done. Looking at £1200 from Audi for a repair kit and fresh oil/gasket etc.
I think that repair kit is the speed sensor fix, mine had that done by the prior owner, the whole ecu itself is effectively the mech unit, and the actuator sensors in that can't be fixed I believe so is a new mech unit.
A lot of electronics to go wrong unfortunately...
Just strange no code logged though.
If it gets too hot it will throw an error until it's cooled down to help protect the box, maybe that this time?

Odd indeed. But worrying.
I was thinking of changing for a lower mileage s4 later next year. Maybe that needs to accelerate now! although the whole thing about failing stronic also concerns Me.
I would, might be the first sign of big trouble coming, I couldn't do that with mine as it went from fine to erroring pretty much everyday so couldn't sell it as it was

Had the VCDS on today, no codes whatsoever.

Drives ok for now, so will look into changing it probably near future.
Took me ages to find right spec i wanted....start again now! haha

Reactions: razza1
Get a 6MT this time lol

Reactions: viceroy and trick971
Makes me wonder if there are long term issues with the s-tronic (generally) and more cars are now getting to the age and mileage whereby these are coming to light? Although DSG has been around for a while hasnt it?
As A LOT of cars are going auto only, it doesnt seem right that a box is needed after what is a relatively short lifespan.
Or is this an isolated item whereby some of the older units do not have full heat & moisture protection? who knows?

Hopefully my warning was just a freak warning light that occasionally happen, it didnt stay on and nothing recorded so i am hoping so.
But does it really put me off getting another stronic? yes.
Do i still like s-tronic - yes i love it.
Hmm...no idea what im going do do now though.

I remember when i owned my previous car (a 997 gen 1) this model had a potential fault with a leaking bearing - if that happened it was an engine rebuild (10k!), so again it was a must to have a warranty which fully covered it.
That replace cost is about the same as a transmission box from audi, and when you hit a certain mileage limit they own pay half!
Just doesnt seem right.

Most gearbox issues seem to happen with 2009/10 cars. We know that Audi revised the boxes since then and only time will tell if they finally got it right. Aside from design issues, it also has to be said that renewing the oil is critical, and probably should be done more frequently than Audi stipulate in order to keep it operating properly.

More of a reason why they should be fixing these things for free, give or take wear and tear.
They also should be paying me for performing their long term road durability test for them!

Reactions: xpoweruk
Is it possible Carista could have cleared the fault? Very surprised nothing has logged if it came up on the cluster.

The ECU I meant is within the mechatronics unit, the PCB rots due to fluid ingress so there will be various sensors that can flag up the fault.
I didn't need a new mech unit for my fault, so long as your car isn't tuned with good dealer history, Audi will contribute to the repair on MY10-12 cars.
Just see how it develops, but I hope you aren't far from home on a fast road though when it decides to go into limp mode.
Sorry for the bleak perspective

The ecu is stuck in hot oil all the time, and on the early models the heat protection was rubbish, hence more failures on those.
The revised version has better heat protection
The guys that fixed my box are having a stream of mercs through their door so they sound worse..

Is it reliable? That seems to be the million dollar question at the moment. There was recent discussion about this:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s-tronic-gearbox-reliable.256848/

I'll re-iterate what I said there. We don't know. Audi knows but we don't and forums tend to contain more people seeking help than those reporting that everything is normal. A warranty would seem prudent.

I was chatting to my Dad about this. He's had 3 DSG Passats without issue. Looking at Wikipedia the first DSG box landed in 2003. That would seem to suggest there must be a lot of older cars with them. My Dad commented that (conventional) auto boxes used to have a terrible reputation for reliability. Over the years that faded though for some the memory of the early problems permanently dissuaded them from ever buying an auto. So I guess where are we in DSG reliability history? Who knows. By the numbers they've been with us for 12 years and I doubt they're going away.

Personally I like S-tronic, it's a great plus for commuting. When my warranty runs out in 2018 (and if I still have the car) I'll be looking for another warranty that covers the box.

so long as your car isn't tuned with good dealer history, Audi will contribute to the repair on MY10-12 cars.
Just see how it develops, but I hope you aren't far from home on a fast road though when it decides to go into limp mode.

I wouldn't be sure about the Audi contribution part, it's down to the specific dealer. Basingstoke offered me the best deal at £9.5k and had no history with them. Reading disappointingly offered no discount to the £10.5k bill despite more history with them. Audi HQ were useless...

As for limp mode, if you're lucky stop, turn it off and on again and you might be fine...mine would error once in the morning and then generally be ok for rest of morning and day. It would log the error in the ecu but I could turn it off restart and have all gears straight away. However according the handbook you shouldn't be able to start it again with certain errors, but despite getting those errors I had no issues, so proceed with caution unless you have breakdown cover as s back up...

My particular fault (which seems like the onset of the OP's) had a bulletin out for it on MY10-12 cars, my car is tuned so they used it as an excuse to not assist but would have otherwise (both the dealer and Audi UK said this). It is purely to replace the PCB, gaskets/bolts and DSG oil, so no crazy bills as such.

Sorry to hijack but I also had this warning light appear for the first time today whilst on the motorway at 65mph. It actually came on and went straight off 3 times in the space of 20 mins.
It happened on a journey from Manchester to York, but has not appeared again since and was ok on the return journey a couple of hours ago.
(2009 2.0 TFSi car has 103k miles)

Cheers trick971. How many miles have you done since you got the warning light back in early December?

I do around 340 miles per week, which does a good job of emptying my pocket before paying out for any potential gearbox replacements!
No repeat of the incident since...

Reactions: mancdan
Cheers trick971.
Funnily enough I got the warning light again on Saturday evening and I had only been driving for approx 10 miles from cold.
I really do feel like getting rid of this car asap.

Time to worry? Any other symptoms?

I haven't noticed or felt any other symptoms. Gear changes all seem to be fine, no jerking or anything.
Only other 'characteristic' I have noticed is when it decides to change up in to 7th before 30mph, but this is quite a rare occurrence.

Would the speed sensor loom cause the "gearbox malfunction" light to illuminate and also cause the early gear change 'characteristic' as described above? (in your opinion of course)

When I scanned with Carista it showed no fault codes, but is it best to find someone with VCDS as that may be more reliable?

Engine
Part #: 8K2907115AJ
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TF
Coding: 010C000C240F0160 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Transmission
Part #: 8K1927156AA
Component: 0B5 20TFSIRdW
Coding: 000001 (hex)
[No fault codes]

I'm in Wigan mate but work in Manchester, could possibly help you with a scan.

This is what I love about this forum, friendly folk.

Thanks skiptowncat, I am approx 30 miles from Wigan so will keep you in mind. Would it need to be a weekend for you?