Gearbox Issue/Advice

Sbeezy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Just need some guidance/advice on my 2014 S3 DSG:

In regards to my gearbox I’ve had a 4th gear whine which after researching thought was pretty normal in an DSG and left it at that.

Today I was sat in traffic going no more then 5-10mph for the best part of an hour and a half. The car started getting really jolty/jerky pulling off and at times seemed like it wasn’t going to move. Shortly after I got the gearbox warning light come up, I restarted the engine and it cleared, had to move off the motorway as didn’t want to break down in all of the traffic. After that the car seemed to drive normally in my opinion but still doesn’t answer why it occurred.

The only reasoning I can see it happening was it didn’t like sitting in 1st and 2nd start stopping for that amount of time, the oil temperature was 110-112 which to me seemed about right given there wasn’t much air going through the engine at all.

Anyone had a similar issue? Going to book it in with Audi and hope they don’t same the usual we didn’t find anything!

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Twin clutch automated manuals do not like stop start traffic, especially creeping speeds as they tend to try and select 2nd when not fully ready.

Remember it’s not a traditional automatic, like a manual it has a clutch (two in this case) this creeping effect can introduce clutch slip and over prolonged creeping at this speeds it causes the clutch packs to heat up excessively which is probably why it felt undriveable and you probably ****** your clutches!

If faced with this situation again control it manually and try to stay in first until second actually feels right.

Secondly if it’s whining in 4th come I’d suggest a bearing issue

Twin clutch automated manuals do not like stop start traffic, especially creeping speeds as they tend to try and select 2nd when not fully ready.

Remember it’s not a traditional automatic, like a manual it has a clutch (two in this case) this creeping effect can introduce clutch slip and over prolonged creeping at this speeds it causes the clutch packs to heat up excessively which is probably why it felt undriveable and you probably ****** your clutches!

If faced with this situation again control it manually and try to stay in first until second actually feels right.

Secondly if it’s whining in 4th come I’d suggest a bearing issue

Jumbo your a diamond, clarified a lot which is along the lines I was suspecting. Seems to be okay today, thank you

Hello Everyone,

Just need some guidance/advice on my 2014 S3 DSG:

In regards to my gearbox I’ve had a 4th gear whine which after researching thought was pretty normal in an DSG and left it at that.

Today I was sat in traffic going no more then 5-10mph for the best part of an hour and a half. The car started getting really jolty/jerky pulling off and at times seemed like it wasn’t going to move. Shortly after I got the gearbox warning light come up, I restarted the engine and it cleared, had to move off the motorway as didn’t want to break down in all of the traffic. After that the car seemed to drive normally in my opinion but still doesn’t answer why it occurred.

The only reasoning I can see it happening was it didn’t like sitting in 1st and 2nd start stopping for that amount of time, the oil temperature was 110-112 which to me seemed about right given there wasn’t much air going through the engine at all.

Anyone had a similar issue? Going to book it in with Audi and hope they don’t same the usual we didn’t find anything!

Also any recommendations for an Audi around the West London/Berkshire/Bucks area?

Thanks guys

Totally agree with Jimbo as I have a mate who's a master tech at Audi and he has always said that once the S-tronic models get a couple of years old and 20000 miles plus they tend to do the jolting thing when doing low speed manoeuvres etc - Sometimes they can recalibrate the software I think

A reason I've always stuck to manuals but my S3 I've ordered for next March is an s-tronic because they've stopped doing the manual - Maybe the new 7 speed s-tronic will be better - Time will tell

Totally agree with Jimbo as I have a mate who's a master tech at Audi and he has always said that once the S-tronic models get a couple of years old and 20000 miles plus they tend to do the jolting thing when doing low speed manoeuvres etc - Sometimes they can recalibrate the software I think

A reason I've always stuck to manuals but my S3 I've ordered for next March is an s-tronic because they've stopped doing the manual - Maybe the new 7 speed s-tronic will be better - Time will tell

Yeah I had Audi out who said the same thing.

Unfortunately the S3 will be gone shortly due to a violent attempted burglary, didn’t get nothing but I can’t be bothered with the hassle.

Yeah I had Audi out who said the same thing.

Unfortunately the S3 will be gone shortly due to a violent attempted burglary, didn’t get nothing but I can’t be bothered with the hassle.

Oh God - I hope everyone was ok - That's not nice - Why can't we have nice things these days without some other scroat wanting to take it - We all had to work for it

Great that Audi say the same thing rather than try and solve it unless they've been waiting for the new boxes to come out but this has been happening for some time now - Now that the R8 has the s-tronic you'd think it would be solved - Bad enough with a £30,000+ car but £100K