Gearbox Guru's

666markyboy

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 1.9 TDi Avant Quattro now on 180,000 miles the last 100,000 of which have all been motorway driving , last night on my way home I noticed a slight humming or buzzing sound the faster I went not a whine, below 50mph it's totally silent , I was at first inclined to think it's a piece of trim or part of the 2 undertrays maybe flapping in the wind at speed, I have yet to check properly so cant confirm or deny this, however I came on here this morning to do a little investigating and started coming across Gearbox bearing problems which exhibit the same symptoms so my question is should the worst come to the worst is the FYT gearbox interchangeable with my gearbox which according to the info sticker is a GBC ? according to this website absolutely everything is identical on them apart from my GBC doesn't have a G22 speed sensor where as a FYT does, I presume if my box doesn't have one then it picks it's speedo info up elsewhere and I can leave the G22 redundant reason being there is a FYT gearbox available close to me with 80,000 miles on it for £480

Gearbox info here http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4...rs_allocation_transmission_ratios_capacities/

Regards Mark

Not looking good, :( ... drove home tonight and whilst it's not got any louder after 40 miles on the motorway there was quite a strong smell of gearbox oil in the cabin at the end of my journey so i'm guessing a bearing has failed and it's getting hot, anyone any idea how many miles you get out of them once it starts to fail ? I've no choice than to do another 80 miles tomorrow then it's search time for a new car and a replacement gearbox for this one :(

Put some Wynns gearbox treatment in it.
Have you ever checked the oil in it?

To be honest I've never checked the level.. is it the same as the old cars where you just fill from the top bung untill it overflows? I never noticed any leaks when i park up but whilst under the car tonight investigating i did see that the very rear of the gear box where the propshaft comes out was wuite oily... and had dripped a little onto the exhaust ... nothing extensive though that I would associate with it having dumped all it's oil .. gear changes are still smooth and no whine at low speeds rising with rpm .. I'm pretty sure it's this final drive shaft bearing I've read about

Well the old box is out and a replacement now back on the splines with a couple of bolts in.... should get the subframe and everything else sorted by the end of play tomorrow.... Can I just say... A4 Quattro gearbox with transfer & diff.... VERY HEAVY not easy on your own with just jacks and axle stands

Well the old box is out and a replacement now back on the splines with a couple of bolts in.... should get the subframe and everything else sorted by the end of play tomorrow.... Can I just say... A4 Quattro gearbox with transfer & diff.... VERY HEAVY not easy on your own with just jacks and axle stands

Ha hah, tell me about it, I put in a single mass flywheel and it was rubbish so.... I had to do it all over again myself, OH JOY!
Did you make sure the rear differential and gearbox are compatible, or did you buy both from the same car?

I got a box that has all the exact same gear ratios and importantly same final drive as my old box.... it's basically identical other than the new box has a speedo sensor where as my old box doesn't . mine must get its speedo reading elsewhere, had a quick drive round the block tonight and it seems ok but I wont know for sure till I get it on the motorway,,,, I've drained the oil out of the new box as I wasn't sure if any had leaked out when the scrapyard removed it , going to put some new in tomorrow, where do I fill it from ? that little breather pipe on the top ??

On the passenger side end casing, near the inner cc joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the passenger side end casing, near the inner cc joint.

Cv joint that was supposed to say! It's right in front of the cv joint, it's a 17mm hex key.

I'm a bit confused here.

Both the GBC and FYT 6-speed manual gearboxes are 01E's. So, with the cast-iron centre section that carries the shaftsad gears. Getrag gearboxes, that transmit speed information via a transducer.

The 02X that was fitted to later B6 models, dispensed with the built-in transducer. Cars fitted with this transmission read speed data via the ABS module.

It's very possible there are 01E transmissions that lack a built-in speed transducer, but if so, this is news to me.