Gearbox fault

Dale Whitaker

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me I have a 2009 A5 cabriolet 3.0 tdi Quattro with an S-tronic box that keeps coming up with a random and intermittent fault of 8040-P17D8 torque limitation due to clutch temperature. Has anyone come across this? Thanks

Reactions: shamus_mcd
I have been getting the same issue in my 2012 A7.
This started 10 miles after gearbox service.
Garage saying its due to my map.
Car has been mapped for about 5 months no issues until service.

Refer to the attached TSB which may be the problem.
Have you had the gearbox oil changed to schedule (every 38K)?
Is there any sign of clutch slippage (rev surge)?

Attachments

• TSB_gearbox_2.pdf
    189.8 KB · Views: 7,466
Refer to the attached TSB which may be the problem.
Have you had the gearbox oil changed to schedule (every 38K)?
Is there any sign of clutch slippage (rev surge)?

Thanks I will be showing the garage this.
I bought the car with 47k on it with FASH.
I got it done about 50k mark when i realised it had to be done as Audi Preston girl not sure if done or not?? So to be on the safe side i got it done.. BAD MOVE as it turns out.
May be a coinsidance but no issues then within about 10 miles of service I get these messages.
I now know when it will do it as car feels lumpy when driving compared to normal. (If that makes any sense) and becoming more frequent usually message and gon within a sec or 2 but last night it lasted about a minute and flat as a pancake then off it went no probs.
Sporadic and very random too.
Can be 100yrd from cold start or 100 miles also at 10mph or 70mph also in any setting too.
No slippage on clutch etc. Pulls like a train when normal.

Fault log

Attachments

• 20161015_201814.jpg
    20161015_201814.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,684
Well as you can see, your fault code is exactly the first one listed on the TSB.
I wouldn't feel bad about changing the oil. Possibly it has encouraged the problem, but the damage must have already been done. And NOT changing the oil can lead to much worse problems!

I just noticed that you posted on an old thread. I wonder what happened to the OP's car?