Gearbox Error

Robbo99

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2011 RS5, 50,000 miles that I only bought 5 months ago and Audi serviced it 1 week ago, full service including gearbox oil change, filters etc.. so this morning I started the car and an error came up saying “Gearbox Malfunction, you can continue to drive the car normally but with restricted functionality” I’ve never had this problem before, Anyone know what this means?

Can be a number of things but it's usually a mechatronic error (auto side of the gearbox). I believe you can acquire rebuilt units now which bring the cost down. There's also a known issue with one of the connector o-rings leaking when not seated properly. Off the top of my head, I think it was the gear selector plug? This is also an internal issue and requires the "pan" to be dropped for access to the afflicted part.

I know lots of the S4/S5 guys before 2012 had this issue so you may want to check in that section of the forum as the number of owners is far greater (and thus the number of issues reported).

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but it can be serviced at home though it is still a good deal of work.

Guessing a full replacement of said unit is about $2.5K USD at a dealer.