Gearbox change

gibbyA3

Reaction score
Hello folks, currently got an audi a3 8p 2.0tdi sline 56plate with 89k and the gearbox is ********, I've been told that it's the top bearing that's gone and I have to replace the hole box is this a common fault?? Any information about this problem would be great full, also going to replace the box,release bearing,clutch myself would it be easily enough to tackle. Cheers Gordon

easy job if you have done a clutch change before if this is your 1st time allow 2 days and make sure you got axle stands and jacks and all the tools you need before you start mate , don't forget gearbox oil

I just spoke to one of the local lads who had done it to a 55 plate 2.0TFSI. He said he would never want to do it again and he is a habitual tinkerer. He got the bearing sorted and got a good car out of not much money but it was a chore.

easy job if you have done a clutch change before if this is your 1st time allow 2 days and make sure you got axle stands and jacks and all the tools you need before you start mate , don't forget gearbox oil
Never done it before but me and my mate are machanically minded, got a four poster ramp as we'll, hoping to blitz it in 1 day.

Never done it before but me and my mate are machanically minded, got a four poster ramp as we'll, hoping to blitz it in 1 day.

From what I was told, that should be a big help. The guy I spoke to did it on his own and probably bit off more than he could chew.

Best of luck with it, two pairs of hands will be a big help.
;)

that should make it easier then , I would do it in about 7hrs on my own so with 2 of you doing it you should get it done in a day easy