Gearbox and Diff Oil change, How To

D8UGF

Reaction score
Gents,

Have had a search on the web to find a good "how to" change the gearbox and diff oil on a 1.8T Quattro 5 speed box and cant find anything. Does anyone know where to get an easy to folow guide on how to do this DIY? One with fill levels etc would be fantastic, it also seems that there is some debate around which oils to use, I take it it is recommended to use OEM oils?

Thanks in advance,

DOugie

I wondered what the "six" on the gearstick was!!!! Lol

No, i think it was only from 2004 onward that the six speed box was introduced, mine is a 2003. Im sure someone will say exactly what year the six speed came in tho.

Dougie

I think it's 6 cylinder related rather than quattro alone, I know a 2001 2.5TDi q with 6 gears. And then in about 2003 the 6 speed box became more prominent on the 4 cylinder diesels etc.

I'm not too sure on this though.

2001 2.5tdi qs avant here with a 6 speed box. anyway i have seen a how to for the rear diff somewhere, i will have a search and if i have some success will post it up.probably on audizine

you sir, are a star! great find. Have a pint on me. :beerchug:

Dougie

I did an oil change on my Parents V5 VW Bora recently which from the above link is basically identical. Be warned if the gearbox oil is warm the initial flow comes out very fast (and it smells really bad).

Also the plugs you need to remove are 17mm allen key fittings of which we didnt have an allen key that size so i found an old 17mm wheel nut which fitted in the plug nicely and then used an open ended spanner to undo etc.

Gear change has defo improved over what it was so well worth the effort.

Thanks for your help gents, as it turns out, went a bit extreme and have now traded the car in at Audi for a B7 170Tdi S-line Avant! Felt the car was just getting that bit long in the tooth now and coupled with higher miles per year went down the route of the fuel of Satan.
Will miss the old girl when I finally hand her over in a couple of weeks.

Dougie

Approximately two weeks James. Audi have still to prep the car, timebelt changed etc. Its Lava grey so I have asked for it to be machine polished to take out any marks on the body, so will see how that goes!
I will still be in the B6 section from time to time to see what folks are up to in here.
Dougie