Gearbox 6 or 7 speed?

Reaction score
I have a A3 1.8 TFSI S line Quattro S Tronic on order. This car comes with a 6 speed gear box, the two wheel drive a 7 speed. Looking through the forums it would appear the Quattro comes with an older gearbox? Does anyone know the ratios for the two gearboxes and if the final drive is the same? Yes, I am a sad person, but would be interested in an answer from a wise man!

I have a A3 1.8 TFSI S line Quattro S Tronic on order. This car comes with a 6 speed gear box, the two wheel drive a 7 speed. Looking through the forums it would appear the Quattro comes with an older gearbox? Does anyone know the ratios for the two gearboxes and if the final drive is the same? Yes, I am a sad person, but would be interested in an answer from a wise man!

The main difference between the original 6-speed s-tronic and the 7-speed s-tronic is the amount of torque they can handle. I have a 2012 2.0TDI Sportback and it is fitted with the 6-speed s-tronic because of the amount of torque (320 Nm) that this engine produces. For the transverse mounting Audi only use the 6-speed version for the quattro models.

The six-speed dual-clutch transmission has dual concentric wet multi-plate clutches. It is intended for use in transverse installations, of either front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive. The 4WD versions are fundamentally identical to the 2WD versions, but the 4WD versions use an additional bolt-on power take-off to direct engine torque to the rear axle.

The seven-speed dual clutch transmission uses dry-clutches. This variant uses two single-plate dry clutches, arranged in a tandem design (instead of concentrically) and are therefore similar in size. The version is again for use in transverse applications, but is intended for use in smaller cars, with smaller displacement engines that generate relatively low torque outputs. It is smaller and lighter than the six-speed version.

I have driven both 6-speed and 7-speed version and the 6-speed seems slightly smoother with better take up than the 7-speed.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, I understand much better now. One or two words I am going to look up so I will understand what you said better, such as 'dry clutches' and 'dual concentric', all a bit above my head!

Thank you for such a detailed reply, I understand much better now. One or two words I am going to look up so I will understand what you said better, such as 'dry clutches' and 'dual concentric', all a bit above my head!

The difference between dry clutches and wet clutches is just that - well almost. Dry clutches are similar to normal manual gearbox clutch plates where as wet-clutches are two clutches running in a bath of oil. Dual concentric basically means the two clutches run in the same position in the gearbox, one is large and runs on the outside and the other is smaller and runs inside the larger one.

If you look at this like I think you will see what I'm talking about:

VW/Audi clutch cutaway

Yes, I am a sad person, but would be interested in an answer from a wise man!

Don't be sad. Some internet posts speculate that the newer 7 speed dry clutch is a cheaper to build, less reliable unit. Time will tell.

Remember to get your S-tronic serviced every 40k.

I believe the 40k servicing only applies to the 6 speed and not the 7 speed?

I believe the 40k servicing only applies to the 6 speed and not the 7 speed?

That's correct, according to the ElsaWin workshop manual. The one part of the 7-speed is filled with Gearbox oil and another part with Hydraulic fluid and neither need changing.

From a driving point of view I find the 7 speed ratios a little close together. First gear is also very short, not much good for anything other than getting you moving.

I think the 6 speed could be better as the gears will be longer with more difference between them, although I've not driven one.

As I do about 3500 miles a year, should be a few years ahead! However, I suppose it will be linked to 4 years old or 40K. Thanks for the note though, I will keep it in mind.

As I do about 3500 miles a year, should be a few years ahead! However, I suppose it will be linked to 4 years old or 40K. Thanks for the note though, I will keep it in mind.

do not want to appear rude but that's a big outlay for so few miles a year and a huge depreciation rate, not sure i would have specced so highly if I only done 3500 a year unless of course it's a company car.

do not want to appear rude but that's a big outlay for so few miles a year and a huge depreciation rate, not sure i would have specced so highly if I only done 3500 a year unless of course it's a company car.

I have the 1.8 S-Tronic on order (ok only FWD) and only do 5-6000 miles a year, like Little Red Monster it's a lot of extra outlay for not a lot of miles, but we work hard for our money and cars are a source of enjoyment as well as a way to get from A-B, so we do what we can to make it as much fun as poss. After all we all bought Audi's and could have paid a lot less for a lesser car ;)

Mind you with such a nice car and 50MPG compared to currently 11MPG I'm sure our mileage will go up :D

Reactions: Daveotto
Daveotto and 97catalunya are both right, it is a mugs game to buy a new car so heavily loaded with extras. I wanted an A3 Quattro with Audi Sound system, Auto, Metallic,Sat Nav, Rear parking sensors, lumbar support and comfort Pack. When I went to order this car I was initially told October delivery, thenI went to pay a deposit I was informed December or perhaps January delivery!! The trouble is I could not find a dealer to supply one sooner, everything was 'estimated'. Of course the new car in January does not go down in price, but the value of my jaguar does!! On review I decided to bite the bullet and buy a June manufactured A3 on display in the showroom with a £2500 discount. However, had to accept accessories I did not want. Overall it cost me £1600 more than I budgeted to spend, but received B&O, Tech Pack, digital radio and heated seats for my trouble. The only item missing was Lumbar support for my bad back! I do not smoke, drink and my only luxury in retirement is regular cruises. I enjoy my cars and at this price I am going to d**n well going to enjoy this one!! Incidentally, my old XF gave me 42mpg on a motorway run and has averaged 31 mpg over three years, so not too bad?

Reactions: Daveotto
I think it goes without without saying if you can find an ex demo/showroom car with the spec you want then go for it, but as I have never bought a brand new car or had the opportunity to spec out my perfect car, and can afford it then hey "Live the dream" lol life isn't all about maths ;)

Reactions: Daveotto and mjcourtney
P.S @Little Red Monster lovely spec by the way :D what colour metallic and when do you pick it up?
I bet the Quattro will be a lot of fun to drive! I did think about it myself having owned an impreza for 7 years. Also something quite special about driving an "Audi Quattro" ;)

P.S @Little Red Monster lovely spec by the way :D what colour metallic and when do you pick it up?
I bet the Quattro will be a lot of fun to drive! I did think about it myself having owned an impreza for 7 years. Also something quite special about driving an "Audi Quattro" ;)

Misano Red, pick it up on 1st September, looking forward to it! Let everyone know what i think after a few days driving and of course add a picture when I have Supaguard the paintwork myself!

Misano Red, pick it up on 1st September, looking forward to it! Let everyone know what i think after a few days driving and of course add a picture when I have Supaguard the paintwork myself!

Nice picking mine up on the 1st also. Think it's going to be a busy time for reviews and pics ;)