Gear shift tweeking

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
I did a shifter alignment on my s3 a few days ago using the proper procedure as my gears felt as if they weren't as smooth as they used to. But now I seem to have made it slightly worse. Now sometimes 1st and 3rd take a couple of attempts to slot in. Is there a bit of fine tweaking I can do at the end of cables without locking the gear stick etc in place. It feels as if one of the cables just needs to be moved up or down a groove or 2

Try it again. If you're doing it alone it takes a bit of time to get it how you want it. It helps if you have someone to do the cables when set the gear stick in right position. Guess you did this but just to be sure, did you lock your gearbox in neutral?
Worn engine mounts can be the cause why it's not smooth anymore especially above 5-6k rpm.

Yeah I'll give it another go. I polybushed the dog bone. I did lock the gearbox in neutral. I did notice that when I locked the gear stick with a pin, the plastic bit the pin locks in to had a fair bit of play, it didn't really lock the gear stick solid like on my old 8l

Upper engine mount and transmition mount on mine were soft like butter at 50k miles. That causes a lot of engine movement in higher rev range.
Also if you're talking about white ball joint of the gear stick you can fix that too but it's a bit time consuming since there's no much space to do it.