Gear selector issues, warning light

mpw2081

Reaction score
Well my wife had a warning light come on this week saying electric fault, **** to P before leaving vehicle. I had a diagnosis done today and they said the gear selector needs to be replaced and would cost £1000. Does this seem expensive.

They said some or one of the sensors was faulty and would need to change the unit.

20220817 201902

If it's the same as 8P issue, it's a microswitch fault & it's not fixable without another unit, £1k for the part only or in total?

I've changed this few times on some cars, is it a quattro?

If it's the same as 8P issue, it's a microswitch fault & it's not fixable without another unit, £1k for the part only or in total?

I've changed this few times on some cars, is it a quattro?
The whole price Inc part and labour.

Seems a fair price as it's a pain to do.

Try 1st buying the part that is about £6-700 & then doing the job yourself, you'll change your stance then.

There's numerous versions, you'd have to get it for yourself either by removing the part to confirm which is for your car or the garage that quoted you, but I doubt they'd provide it.

There is a repair kit for each of the 2 gear selector manufacturers.

The part numbers are somewhere in these threads:

Reactions: NHN
Yeah you can see the microswitch in that kit, unfortunately not all chassis have the repair kit & not all faults are this, takes time to diagnose & repair, hence why there's such a cost, unfortunate reality.

Yeah you can see the microswitch in that kit, unfortunately not all chassis have the repair kit & not all faults are this, takes time to diagnose & repair, hence why there's such a cost, unfortunate reality.
The labour is reasonable its the part to be honest £700 plus from audi

Repair kit isn't £700, the whole shifter unit is.

If you mean shifter, he maybe wrong, could just be a repair kit.

I’ve had this problem for approximately 18 months, maybe longer and it’s very intermittent.

When it comes on it’s always a minute or two after pulling off and the warning disappears after 30 seconds or so.

My car is a 2014 1.8 Quattro and it’s obviously auto.

Three questions and no guesses please 1. Will any part of my car fail I don’t get this fixed 2. Is there an inexpensive fix i can try to resolve the problem and 3. Does the expensive fix actually work.

Thanks.

Firstly it depends what is causing the issue leading to this error message. Most frequently it is the PARK micro switch in the gear selector mechanism (and that is what the repair kit is designed to fix) but depends on the actual problem in your car.

1) If you don’t get it fixed the car MAY fail to start as engine only starts in P or N.
2) the repair kit is the inexpensive option - see caveat above
3) the repair kit or selector mechanism are both permanent fixes and both work - assuming the P micro switch is the problem

As your car is PFL you need to check the manufacturer of your gear selector mechanism as one of them has relatively easy access to the microswitch to replace just that item, and the other has the switch buried inaccessible deep in the mechanism.

The repair kits piggyback on top of the selector mechanism and provide an alternate parking microswitch with some branch wiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gemrom
Thank you for taking the time to respond it is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jaypers777