Gear display next to D or S mode

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I was wondering if the S3 displays what gear the car is in next to the D or S mode like the Q3 for example.

I was wondering if the S3 displays what gear the car is in next to the D or S mode like the Q3 for example.

I'm fairly sure the S3 and A3 are the same and my A3 shows which gear you're in and whether you're in D, S or E.

S3 shows the current gear plus selector position (D/S/R/N/M) on the DIS on the dash. Shows illuminated selector position on the actual gear change console but not the current gear.

My S3 only shows the gear number in the DIS when in manual mode. It shows M1, M2, M3, etc. But in auto mode (D or S) it does not tell me the gear number. After a while spent with the car you can figure it out from the speed and revs.

That is strange.

All UK/EU S3's will display in the DIS

D1 D2 D3 etc
S1 S2 S3 etc
E1 E2 E3 etc
M1 M2 M3 etc

It especially useful when approaching a roundabout and you want to take off and you are crawling, to see if it's currently in D2 so you can paddle down to D1 etc

WeeDram, then it has been disabled in your S3 for some rason, it shows gear in ALL modes on mine.

The reason I ask is because on this S3, it doesn't show what gear you are in unless you are in M mode

I have a feeling the gear only shows next to the mode in EU cars and not on US cars. Can anyone confirm this?

That is strange.

All UK/EU S3's will display in the DIS

D1 D2 D3 etc
S1 S2 S3 etc
E1 E2 E3 etc
M1 M2 M3 etc

It especially useful when approaching a roundabout and you want to take off and you are crawling, to see if it's currently in D2 so you can paddle down to D1 etc

you can add the Aus. S3s to that list.

maybe they don't show them on the US version, so they don't get sued.

Reactions: RYuill
The reason I ask is because on this S3, it doesn't show what gear you are in unless you are in M mode

That's a U.S.-spec S3. They're from Pennsylvania according to the license plate and the guy's Eastern University lacrosse shirt. Even within the U.S. there can be differences in car specs between states, for instance California sometimes does things differently.

I'm in Canada and my gear display looks like theirs. I glance at the tach if I want to see if the engine might lug out of a corner, so personally I don't miss the gear number display.