Gauges playing up....

jonny87

Reaction score
....since replacing my clutch pedal ive noticed that when i switch my ignition on the rev needle flutters up and down very quickly but in very small amounts for about ten seconds then goes still, the fuel and temp needles wont jump up to their respective positions for about fifteen or twenty seconds, then when i start the engine the rev needle wont register for about another fifteen or twenty seconds, after all this its all ok, no problems!!

is it possibly something ive disturbed whilst removing the lower half of the dash to gain access to the clutch pedal?

i will get a video of it tomorrow and post it up to show you what i mean

any help much appreciated
jon

So youve only started having this problem after removing the lower dash?

yer mate, thats what made me think ive disturbed some wiring somewhere along the line, but guess what, get in the car today and its not done it lol typical!!

could it be related to the clutch switch? as i only readjusted it yesterday due to it over revving on gear changes?

Doubt its the clutch switch, more likely something disturbed. I assume your battery connections are all sound too? And the battery isn't flat!!

Hi there, ive got the same problem with the clocks in my a3 1.8t flutter up & down fast.
Ive owned my a3 for a year now and has always done this ,all needles jump to there levels after 10 - 15 sec

Would be nice to fix .,if anyone nos ?

thanks

Doubt its the clutch switch, more likely something disturbed. I assume your battery connections are all sound too? And the battery isn't flat!!

battery not flat mate, not touched the connections for a few weeks but il double check them, if the engine has been running for a bit ie a short drive, and i flick it off leave it and turn it back on, its all as normal :s

as i said yesterday it didnt do it to and from work, but when i used it this morning it did it again, very strange!

also the rev needle doesnt sit quite on zero, maybe a 100 revs or less above the zero mark, couldnt remember if it was like this before or not

i think il whip the lower dash back off, flick the ignition on and have a fiddle with some wiring ;)

c4slk if i find a cure, il get back to you

with all the other things ive been doing on the s3 recently this has kinda slipped my mind but today i had a spare hour so decided to have a little mess, i whipped the lower dash cover off again and checked all visible connections were good and made sure no wires were trapped or stretched, couldnt find anything and nothing i did made any difference

anyway heres a little video i took of whats going on with the dials, turn the volume up and you'll be able to hear it too, almost like a solenoid clicking in and out very quickly, strange lol

i havent but a few mates of mine have, forgot they can check the gauages with those things, cheers mate ;)