Gathering info for a ko4 build

Sid2go

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to boost the performance of my a4 2.0tfsi BUL quattro.
my goal is to get around 300bhp (like everyone else that has been posting)

I understand that upgrading the hpfp you dont need to map it which gives me time to book it in for a remap.

But what about upgrading to s3 and a ko4 turbo? Can i still drive it around temporary without a tune?
Also if i brought a s3/golf r ko4 turbo what modifications are needed? i understand that the dv needs to be relocated but what about the downpipe? is there a aftermarket solution or would i need to get one fabricated? if the only solution is to fabricate one then i would need to drive to a fabricator with no down pipe as i dont have a trailor.

If you or anyone has done the s3/golf r ko4 option, could you show pictured or diagram of the modification.

My other thoughts about the turbo side is to send it out for a hybrid with ko4 internal upgrades, but who can do it? turbo dynamics?

Other solutions is to buy a kit from JHM motorsport including the tune but i estimate the total cost to be less or around £3000 inc vat and import charges.

Remap wise i feel like unicorn motorsport would be the choice but mtm would be a 2nd choice mainly because i feel embarrassed bring an a4 to a tuner that remaps S and RS vehicles (might be just me). Also r-tech wont remap as its a quattro that does not have a haldex system.

I am located in the westmidlands wolverhampton area.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Join the club Chap.
Some good questions and very similar project to what I am doing , well if the old bus behaves ...lol.

you'll need a hfc which will fit straight in if you are using a drop in turbo upgrade solution and hybrid route will do away with relocating the dv so a better option if you want a straight forward option.
If you go the parts route , turbo dynamics are very good and will build you a custom hybrid solution, I was going to them before I decided to go over the top with 400+ , I expect they will do any option I just opted for a premade setup but will need a dv relocation setup.

Don't feel embarrassed taking an A4 for a remap , not everyone has the top end spec cars and afterwards your A4 will be very good indeedy.

Anyway lots of info on here and i'm sure others will be along shortly with help.

best of luck with it chap.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Welsome to the journey that many if us are on.

Don't be apologetic m for taking a A4 to a tuner. The companies I have interfaced with actually like it as it's a bit different and not the norm. They also speak about how capable the torsen quattro is over the haldex systems. I guess that they are not as obvious as a S3 but for me that just increases the appeal.

I have however found that as they are less common parts are a bit harder to come by. For a few parts I've had no choice but to stump up for import duty from America.

If I remember rightly a S3 turbo needs some custom pipework in order to fit. A bolt on solution is tidy but costly.

I'm just in talks with a company that will fit my Integrated Engineering rods and give the engine a bit if a refresh to lay the foundations for moving forward.

Right now I'm debating balance shaft delete for the oil pump.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

For tuning near midlands MRC are arguably one of the best in the country and worth checking out.

I think all of us on the Ko3/4 hybrid etc and beyond projects are on our own journey's and it can be difficult and costly , well worth it in the end though, just get as much info on the subject before hand and do some research on the options as they can vary wildly .

rob

For the figures you are looking to gain your hardware requirements list wont be to long hopefully and you'll get a good increase in performance with a good map based against your current factory tune .
My old bus is already on 270 so going to 300 wasn't that much more and to be honest compared to another B7 I tried recently the increase wasn't that noticible hence why I opted to go silly bonkers to 400 ish instead.

Ive bought a gfb dv+, induction kit, high flow cat, fmic and hpfp internals and its set me back at around £1700 in parts so far i only need a 3” downpipe and I'm ready for stage 2+ and it still wont see 300hp but will be as close as you can get without turbo upgrades so yes its a short list like Rob said but keep in mind its by no means a cheap one lol, the hybrid turbo, s3 injectors and a good map will be easily another £1200-1300 on top so its a lot of money all together but you should have a car which should put a decent sized smile on your face :)

Then your have to spend more on suspension upgrades so it feels good to drive and your be needing a better brake set up so another £1500 ish on top lol :)

Hope that helps in the remortgage of the house or selling a kidney lol will be worth it though :icon thumright: well thats what i keep telling my self anyway.

I've sold my soul Ricky as it's just worth more.....lol

At last tally up on my on/off/on again turbo project the costing's inc the engine internal work aswell are coming in at approx. £7k , bonkers really but look what i'll get....happy days every day.:yahoo:

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Its not too bad really

£600 for new s3 injectors
£220 HPFP internals
£600 custom ECU tune
£600 Airtec FMIC
£1760 Loba Lo400L

actually wait..... thats more than the price of the car :whistle2:

Its not too bad really

£600 for new s3 injectors
£220 HPFP internals
£600 custom ECU tune
£600 Airtec FMIC
£1760 Loba Lo400L

actually wait..... thats more than the price of the car :whistle2:

+ cat.

Any two of the components is more than the price of the car these days, haha. I think I'll be capping mine at sub 300bhp and spending the rest on bodywork and upkeep. Chasing numbers can be an addiction.

I’m keeping an eye on B8 guys on Audizine, a few have experimented with the £500 F23L on ebay then swapped out the CHRA for a decent anti surge Ko4 CHRA from turbo rebuilds, no definitive hardware/software combination has come with repeatable results yet but it has promise at a budget.

Most annoying is that the CTS Ko4 which is know good quality is about £1000 to buy stateside, but with VAT, import duty and shipping its probably another £500 extra

+ cat.

Any two of the components is more than the price of the car these days, haha. I think I'll be capping mine at sub 300bhp and spending the rest on bodywork and upkeep. Chasing numbers can be an addiction.
Thats what im thinking somewhere close as possible to 300hp then ill have a play with bodywork again and do the wide arch kit and then sit and enjoy the little beast for what it is....until the turbo blows then ill stick the ko4 and s3 injectors in :)

It's the total cost , all the little bits here and there that also mount up.
What start's out as a £3k upgrade can very easily and quickly go way way over that , a remap here and a remap there soon clocks up a grand in a blink without all the rest.

well It's a good thing that i purchased the car for £1800 back in November 2017. After that I spent around £600 for timing belt kit, water pump, oil pickup pipe, cam chain and tensioner, full oil, filter, fuel filter and a cheap induction kit. Also refurb the vaccum pump. Then i started adding more stuff like GFB DV+, ebay decat downpipe which seem to be really good as it still has not cracked. A RA4 smf clutch kit for £600 (rp £800-£900). I also have the 034 motorsport full control arm kit for Christmas which i still am waiting to fit until its summer.

For argument sake my car total with my spending is around £4000 inc consumables. Still need to service gearbox and diff fluid as the car is at 145,000miles

intercooler wise i have 3 options
  • KWE twin £673.91
  • Airtec front mount £549.95
  • marvel something which i think got discontinued was £350
HPFP internal
  • Vis motorsport £215 sounds good but some people had issues which i believe was due to installation
  • Autotech £350 (aks tuinning) or £615.99 fitted into a new unit
  • loba? no idea what happened as i cant find them
So far so good for stage 2+ which would total from £764.95 to £1289.90 and then add £500 for remap.
But considering if i can just pop into r-tech and have them install the hpfp internals for me and then i can drive back home to fit it would be a cheap way as i dont own a vice or have the balls to install it. But so far i have literally done all the work on the car on my own.

Maybe i might be happy with 270bhp? but then again i could have brought a 3.0tdi from the begging and just rolled coal. But then again why did I buy an audi? I could have gone for a 335i but having prev owned a 325i and getting it to 270bhp just was not as much fun as a turbo car. But I will see through this odeal as everyone else and bite the bullet as I cant get myself to sell the audi anymore with the amount of time i spent working on it.

also @Just Rob. I am looking around for parts to make a dual oil catch can thanks to your guide.

also also has anyone thought about or planning on getting a Vis motorsport balance shaft delete?

BTW is there a difference between the special ed front brakes compared to a standard s line brakes?

And what issues have you heard about the vis hpfp internals? Ive just had kine put in and seems ok so far, also i paid £300 for mine with a genuine cam follower so if you have found it for £215 that's a bargain especially for what it is.

I know i should not be saying this but what is the fuel consumption like? my guess i might have a stage 2 running 250bhp? due to it being a agent map and me having a decat pipe. I can get around 450miles full tank motorway driving at 70mph as i had to do run from wolverhampton, manchester and down to london with tesco momentum fuel.

And what issues have you heard about the vis hpfp internals? Ive just had kine put in and seems ok so far, also i paid £300 for mine with a genuine cam follower so if you have found it for £215 that's a bargain especially for what it is.

well £215 from ebay or £200 by contacting them direct from facebook (feels a little dodgy)
The issues are probably fuel cuts but i believe it was due to incorrect installation as a lot of people are running them.

well £215 from ebay or £200 by contacting them direct from facebook (feels a little dodgy)
The issues are probably fuel cuts but i believe it was due to incorrect installation as a lot of people are running them.
Fuel cuts only happen if you don’t run it in properly, as for mpg mines not been mapped yet so its still supplying the standard amount of fuel (effectively its doing nothing) so mpg hasn’t changed.

Yeah special edition are 320mm fronts
Is that similar or the same as s4 b7 brakes? no idea what pads are on it but it has drilled holes on the disc, I prefer slotted tbh. So i might add ebc disc and maybe go with tarox pads?

Fuel cuts only happen if you don’t run it in properly, as for mpg mines not been mapped yet so its still supplying the standard amount of fuel (effectively its doing nothing) so mpg hasn’t changed.

I bought mine from aks tuning as well, very good and helpful company.

Okay, seems like i can get it for £562.96 brand new hpfp with vis installed and a oem cam follower kit.
Is yours a banjo bolt fitting or rubber bamboo fitting? Because there is a 5mm port mod you can do to the fitting.

Is that similar or the same as s4 b7 brakes? no idea what pads are on it but it has drilled holes on the disc, I prefer slotted tbh. So i might add ebc disc and maybe go with tarox pads?
Drilled discs are standard on the special edition front discs and no there not the same discs the s4 are 345mm but they use the same calipers as the special edition but with a different carrier to accommodate the bigger disc.

Reactions: Sid2go
Okay, seems like i can get it for £562.96 brand new hpfp with vis installed and a oem cam follower kit.
Is yours a banjo bolt fitting or rubber bamboo fitting? Because there is a 5mm port mod you can do to the fitting.
Isn't the rubber bamboo a mod? Im not sure tbh i left it with the garage as i had the hpfp decide to try go walk abouts in the engine bay so i didn't really look to see.

As for fmic i went with Airtec i don't see the point in the more expensive ones when the airtec is more than big enough and is one of the best names in the business so you know your getting a good quality product, and you get to pick the colours lol

Drilled discs are standard on the special edition front discs and no there not the same discs the s4 are 345mm but they use the same calipers as the special edition but with a different carrier to accommodate the bigger disc.

Ooooo interesting

Isn't the rubber bamboo a mod? Im not sure tbh i left it with the garage as i had the hpfp decide to try go walk abouts in the engine bay so i didn't really look to see.

As for fmic i went with Airtec i don't see the point in the more expensive ones when the airtec is more than big enough and is one of the best names in the business so you know your getting a good quality product, and you get to pick the colours lol

Was not sure if i wanted to make it a little more stock looking but for the savings and surface area i think you are right.

on facebook rtech have said it can be done for the banjo bolt setup but they don't explain it in enough detail.

I went for a low key look which im still not sure to this day i did the right thing lol i went for black intercooler and piping with the red airtec logo, if you want it more stock just go all black with no logo :)

Stealth low key is the way forward. I have the AWE tuning intercooler ready to go on. Bought it a few years ago second hand but brand new in box. It's full height so once installed looks like a radiator from the front.

I’m going very low key, only exhaust note will give the game away from the outside

Stealth low key is the way forward. I have the AWE tuning intercooler ready to go on. Bought it a few years ago second hand but brand new in box. It's full height so once installed looks like a radiator from the front.

I went with the black airtec one and i think that will hide away more than a silver one and thats why I've had dilemmas thinking maybe i should of went silver and at least see the ridiculously expensive part i bought, I'm worried the black will blend in with the black grille, i may have to do some modifying to get it on show a bit more before i start fitting it...

I’m going very low key, only exhaust note will give the game away from the outside
This is where I'm heading. Everything has been purchased with stealth in mind. Only noise will give the game away.

I guess I'm the exception then i like loud cars with turbo cho cho’s, whooshing, banging, launch control noises :)

Dont get me wrong though i can more than appreciate a stealthy car, but me personally as this car is my toy I've turned into an attention seeker so ill be carrying on with the plans to wide arch the old girl in the near future lol

I would like to see flames popping out my exhaust

I'm an old chap now so cant get away with everything one can do to our old buses, but hey i'm allways willing to let it be heard when needbe...I think my old bus looks reasonably ok as it is to be honest so just going a bit under the radar these days...lol

I'm an old chap now so cant get away with everything one can do to our old buses, but hey i'm allways willing to let it be heard when needbe...I think my old bus looks reasonably ok as it is to be honest so just going a bit under the radar these days...lol
Rob im pretty sure you said your in your 50’s and i know you race Ducati's and your looking at making a 400hp b7....your not fooling anyone with this grown up talk i refuse to believe it lol

It’s called “ growing old disgracefully” lol or second childhood , probably a bit of both.