1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GARD X - worth getting?

DaveW May 26, 2018

1. DaveW

DaveW Active Member

My wife is expecting delivery of a new Q2 shortly, from a different dealership to the one we usually buy from.
    We usually purchase the Auto Glym bodycare package, but this dealership provides GARD X Protection.
    Does anyone have any experience of this and is it worth getting?
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DrEskimo

DrEskimo Well-Known Member

Nope, complete waste of money.

Better off going to a professional detailer for similar money, or doing it yourself.

4. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

No its not worth it, in isolation Guard X is OK for paint protection it's cleanser and sealant, but dealers skimp on time and care, best get a detailer to apply whatever paint protection system suits your budget

q5man likes this.
  5. FranA3

FranA3 FMDETAILING Site Sponsor Team Brill Red Gold Supporter Audi A3

Most definitely a waste of money, I’ve seen many cars trashed by the application alone of guardX let alone the poor products, best off getting a professional to do a new car detail on it and can always have a ceramic coating at the same time for great durability.
    Fran @fmdetailing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

q5man likes this.
  6. S32B

S32B Well-Known Member Audi A5 S tronic Coupe

If you gave most of the guys on here half of what Audi want to charge they would do a much better job! So NO you don't need it :)

I told them not to touch my A5 coupe, apart from taking the sticky plastic factory protection film off it.

Out of interest, what do they want to charge?

q5man likes this.
  7. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Wouldn’t bother as dealer detailers will do more damage than good. I stupidly had this done on my new Q5 in March and now booked in for professional correction detail and ceramic, and hardly any more than GardX costs

8. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Or at least what the stealers charge. I was charged £399 - waste of money

9. q5man

Hear hear - and this is the man that is going to “fix” my Q5 @FranA3

FranA3 likes this.
  10. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Active Member

Tried to flog me it, told them no thanks but they ended up doing it for free. As above don't really rate it but as it was free & the case of products that came with it was a bonus !!!!.

11. q5man

Getting it free is one thing, but more concerning would be the damage (swirls/marring) they inflict applying the product!

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Active Member

............to be fair they did a good job, car is white also so does hide a lot of swirls etc unlike a black car !!!.

q5man likes this.
  14. q5man

Fair enough, yes white best to hide swirls. I on the other hand have black <sigh> after previous Ibis White A6. Not my choice the wife’s only stipulation ‍♂️. I saw swirls and Marrs in collection day, hence now getting proper correction and ceramic

15. ScottishA4B9

ScottishA4B9 Well-Known Member Team Daytona saloon TDi Audi A4 S-line owners group Manual

They offered it free for me as well as a £250 off my next car voucher. I still said no!

cuke2u and q5man like this.
  16. Lisa.

Lisa. Active Member Audi S3

I picked my new S3 up a week ago. The dealership applied the gardex, at a cost to me of £366.45 !. Lots of swirl marks on paintwork and on black areas including wing mirrors, and pan roof. So disheartened is an understatement. I’m now arranging for a professional detailer to remove the gardex, correct paint work if necessary, and apply a ceramic coating, wheel sealant, leather care etc.

scotty76 and Pinky1959 like this.
  17. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Again Guard X is good if applied properly .... Dealerships don't take the time or the care on its application, same can be said of a lot of detailers who don't apply the ceramic properly, swirls can be removed very easily indeed and l am sure all the imperfections on your paint are extremely superficial indeed easy fix for a detailer

Lisa. and q5man like this.
  18. Lisa.

The detailer comes highly recommended, on a small island reputation goes along way.. Heres a few pics of the swirls, maybe be superficial but not good on a new car. 25E9892F-EF03-420A-8A0D-25D96747FF83.jpeg

19. Cooper82

Cooper82 Member

Is the dealership offering any sort of compensation?

20. Lisa.

Sales man calling me tomorrow after he’s spoken to his business manager, he saw the car on Saturday in the sun light and is aware of issues.

21. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Active Member

I would be expecting the money paid for the gard x returned or the dealership to pay for the professional to sort it out .
    Play hardball and don't agree to any less .
    Your car is really nice .

22. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

This 'no it isn't' seems to be dragging on...
    Just don't let a dealership anywhere near the car, especially if they employ Intercleanse...
    http://www.intercleanse.com/hats-on

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  23. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Active Member

Any news on this did they call you ?

24. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member Team Daytona Audi A3 Sportback S-line owners group Manual

Are those swirls on the piano black plastic trim rather than the paint?
    Those trims are extremely soft but also easily corrected.

25. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Sure can:
    FB_IMG_1532522413863.jpg

q5man likes this.