Garage tomorrow for possible wheel bearings, what price should I expect?

Wu11ie

Reaction score
As above, think the car needs a front wheel bearing, anybody know what I should roughly expect to pay?

It's a 2002 1.8t Quattro Sport Saloon

Thanks in advance :)

A quality bearing kit is a bout 50 quid, add about 1.5 hours of labour and you'll be lucky to have it done for under 150 quid mark !

per side to be honest, depends how they do it: some take the drive shafts out but the bearing often corrodes onto the hub and is taking longer to get out, clean and lubricate... I take the hub off on b5 which need bearing pressed in but leave the hub in the alloy uprights which have bolt on bearings. The old hub needs pressing out the old bearing race and pressed onto the new bearing kit...

per side to be honest, depends how they do it: some take the drive shafts out but the bearing often corrodes onto the hub and is taking longer to get out, clean and lubricate... I take the hub off on b5 which need bearing pressed in but leave the hub in the alloy uprights which have bolt on bearings. The old hub needs pressing out the old bearing race and pressed onto the new bearing kit...

Ooooft, didn't realise it was that big a job, I've done bearings before but it's never taken me an hour and a half per side :(

Well it turned out both front wheel bearings were gubbed :(, tomorrow I'll be £288 lighter :(

Just been quoted for two front wheel bearings. One front wheel bearing was done a year ago and has failed already, so my mechanic is going to warrant the labour on that one as he fitted it, but sadly the manufacturer won't cough up the part as I'm just slightly over the 1 year warranty on it. Including the warrant for labour on one of the bearings it'll cost me £170 all in. One last year cost me £120 so two at £170 suits me! This also affirms the ~£50 part price as mentioned above! :)

Last edited:
The thieving shits.
I've done it twice now and it's about half hour per side. Crazy money.