Garage Security

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Seeking some advice on what you would all recommend to increase security.

My car is garaged every night, the garage and house is all alarmed. If I had a budget of £200, what would you recommend to get to deter thieves or make it very difficult?

I thought about a post outside the garage, but it would be difficult to install and would only draw attention to the garage for those who don't know. Otherwise I thought of getting a post for behind the garage door, which is fine but it couldn't be a drop down post because of the floor space available. I could get two folding posts, but then it would only be a padlock to break to get in.

I am planning on CCTV at the moment, but that's a little costlier and won't exactly stop thieves.

Regards,

Matthew.

Hi All,

Seeking some advice on what you would all recommend to increase security.

My car is garaged every night, the garage and house is all alarmed. If I had a budget of £200, what would you recommend to get to deter thieves or make it very difficult?

I thought about a post outside the garage, but it would be difficult to install and would only draw attention to the garage for those who don't know. Otherwise I thought of getting a post for behind the garage door, which is fine but it couldn't be a drop down post because of the floor space available. I could get two folding posts, but then it would only be a padlock to break to get in.

I am planning on CCTV at the moment, but that's a little costlier and worn exactly stop thieves.

Regards,

Matthew.

As a cheap solution, when my next door neighbour had their garage door forced to steal a motorbike the police suggest drilling a hole vertically in the bottom of the back of the garage door into the concrete floor and putting a long screwdriver in through the hole in the door and into the hole in the concrete. Makes the door harder to force but relays on you being able to get out of the garage via another door.

Won't stop them if they are that determined but would slow them down.

A hoodie and balaclava easily defeats a cctv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
As a cheap solution, when my next door neighbour had their garage door forced to steal a motorbike the police suggest drilling a hole vertically in the bottom of the back of the garage door into the concrete floor and putting a long screwdriver in through the hole in the door and into the hole in the concrete. Makes the door harder to force but relays on you being able to get out of the garage via another door.

Won't stop them if they are that determined but would slow them down.

A hoodie and balaclava easily defeats a cctv.

That would be good, but unfortunately the door is the only access to the garage :-(

That's what it will always be a care of, you will never stop them if they really want it but it's all about making it as long, difficult and noisy as possible.

You can also get a small bolt action device and load it with a blank shotgun cartridge. If the wire is pulled it fires the cartridge, creates an almighty flash and extremely loud bang too. Only about £15

Reactions: Daytonapig, SamR92, Audi Bairn and 2 others
That would be good, but unfortunately the door is the only access to the garage :-(

That's what it will always be a care of, you will never stop them if they really want it but it's all about making it as long, difficult and noisy as possible.

Do a search online for bulldog garage locks. The are reasonably discrete, well some of the smaller ones.

You can also get a small bolt action device and load it with a blank shotgun cartridge. If the wire is pulled it fires the cartridge, creates an almighty flash and extremely loud bang too. Only about £15

That sounds great fun, haha.

Do a search online for bulldog garage locks. The are reasonably discrete, well some of the smaller ones.

At the moment I've settled on two folding posts, with bulldog padlocks to secure them. £59 all in on eBay.

Do you have power in the garage?

If so, how about an electric garage door opener?

A decent on will make the door more secure.

I have a few passive infared sensor lights all independent is the key,also a plug in alarm which sounds when a pir sensor is disturbed which can be adjusted for small animals to not trigger it.

Do you have power in the garage?

If so, how about an electric garage door opener?

A decent on will make the door more secure.

Or an electric supply through the garage door itself, or is that frowned upon :whistle2:

Reactions: SamR92, Audi Bairn, richinsoton and 3 others
What about one of the heavy duty locks that bolt to the floor and then have a detachable bracket to attach to the door? Easier and more discreet than a post, pretty handy too.

A very loud audible alarm (PIR triggered?) inside the garage. If someone breaks in they will likely leave due to attention it's clearly drawing. Putting it in the garage makes it sound even louder when you're in there.

We have these at a farm I help out on, just incase anyone is having a snoop around at night time and they definitely do work! just to clarify its not an actual cartridge, its just got powder in for the bang, no shot although im sure some of you wish they did! not sure the legalities of owning these/possessing cartridges is though if you don't have a shotgun certificate. im lucky enough to have one so it would not be an issue lol.

We have these at a farm I help out on, just incase anyone is having a snoop around at night time and they definitely do work! just to clarify its not an actual cartridge, its just got powder in for the bang, no shot although im sure some of you wish they did! not sure the legalities of owning these/possessing cartridges is though if you don't have a shotgun certificate. im lucky enough to have one so it would not be an issue lol.

Section 2.57 c here suggests you'd be ok using an 'alarm gun'
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

http://www.allcocksoutdoorstore.co.uk/alarm-mine-gun
http://www.allcocksoutdoorstore.co.uk/alarm-mine-blanks-12-gauge-pack-of-25

If it is an up and over door I used things similar to these as I had a few £s worth of motorbikes in the garage, they are very discrete but suprisingly effective.........the problem with posts/obvious deterrents can be that they attract curiosity or are a phaff and you might not use them. I didn't drill the garage door from the outside so they could only be unlocked from the inside, I could though access the inside of the garage from the house.

http://www.sasproducts.com/garage-door-bolts-for-up-and-over-doors-164-p.asp

People after S3s from garages won't be casual so will counter CCTV.

If its an up and over door with one vertical central locating pin, then first thing is to make sure that there is a secured hardwood strip outside along the top lintel that the door touches when closed.
If there's a window in the garage get a wrought iron bared panel made that fits inside the frame. If it's a garage door with either a single or two locking pins get it changed for one with four locking pins, one in each corner.
Put a Disklok on the car when you park it. Leave the steering slightly on lock and make sure the steering lock has engaged.

Or an electric supply through the garage door itself, or is that frowned upon :whistle2:

Did you two help write Home Alone by any chance lol
Worryingly I'm liking your work though :respekt:

Reactions: Joe4842, CHEZ, Tom.H and 2 others
If it is an up and over door I used things similar to these as I had a few £s worth of motorbikes in the garage, they are very discrete but suprisingly effective.........the problem with posts/obvious deterrents can be that they attract curiosity or are a phaff and you might not use them. I didn't drill the garage door from the outside so they could only be unlocked from the inside, I could though access the inside of the garage from the house.

http://www.sasproducts.com/garage-door-bolts-for-up-and-over-doors-164-p.asp

People after S3s from garages won't be casual so will counter CCTV.

I've got these fitted to mine - if you paint the covers they're not noticeable
The more visable deterrants you fit the more theives will want to get in thinking you have more to protect hence more to steal

If the general public is in my garage, he's got far bigger safety concerns to worry about than a few overgrown party poppers.

I'm sure that the ultimate legality of these devices is very dependent upon their use and context. You can fire off rockets and mortars in public spaces for bonfire night and it's entirely legal. Aim them at the neighbours cat because he keeps fouling your lawn, or start putting them into peoples letterboxes and you face explaining your actions to a man in a wig.

I would think wiring a car to make a few big bangs and a bit of smoke when someone try's to access an ODB port would be entirely defendable, as would wiring a garage door so that the same effect occurs if someone forces entry.

A collapsible post inside the garage doesn't necessarily need space....rotate 90degrees and fix it off centre should work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A collapsible post inside the garage doesn't necessarily need space....rotate 90degrees and fix it off centre should work?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you could fit a drop down post which sits flush - you'll need to dig a hole for this though

If you’re after prevention then the physical barriers and shock tactics work. If you‘re after cheap CCTV, consider the Eufy cameras (assuming placement is possible and USB power is available) they do HD and have decent night vision capabilities. £25 each and wireless, take MicroSD cards and Alexa / Homekit / Google etc compatible. If you’re stateside and can get them, Wyze Cam’s are a good shout. Same as the Eufy, no HomeKit though but at 20USD per camera, they’re a bargain and you can sling some outside and around the house so it’s clear the place is being monitored.

In addition to the firework tactics, do consider adding some OUTSIDE the garage too so the neighbours can see something’s happening and more people know something untoward is going on