Galaxy S10 and Android Auto - it's better

cosmicblue

Reaction score
So my Samsung Galaxy S10 was delivered yesterday - incrementally better than the otherwise faultless 2 year old S8 it replaced.

The old dog of Android Auto seems a bit more polished on Android 9 Pie than it was on Android 8, pop up messages seem to appear as rather more legible white text on a blue background and when you end a telephone call and you were previously listening to say Amazon Unlimited it reverts to the music stream by itself rather than dumping you in some silent corner of MMI. Progress!

Reactions: cuke2u
I updated my S8 to Pie this week, the first thing I didn't like was the clock on the left hand side of the notification bar so I downloaded Good Lock which enabled me to move the clock back to the right status bar.

Haven't tried android auto yet but will do so tomorrow but thanks for the heads up.

I think the S8 will do me for a couple more years though...

With all of the problems I'm having with Carplay and my iPhone with the S4, I decided to dig out my old Nexus 6P and put a Pie rom on it (Pixel Experience for anyone interested).

Seems to me that the Audi Smartphone Interface was definitely designed more towards Android Auto - so far I'm getting none of the bugs that I get with CarPlay.

Reactions: cuke2u, cosmicblue and tickedon
I updated my S8 to Pie this week, the first thing I didn't like was the clock on the left hand side of the notification bar so I downloaded Good Lock which enabled me to move the clock back to the right status bar.

LOL, exactly the same thing I noticed so updated Good Lock straight after.

On my S8 prior to Pie, I was using Tasker for a routine that when I connect to the car bluetooth, it turns off wifi and turns on tethering so that the car and passengers use my phone data. On Pie this stopped and the Routine's app in Good Lock is also failing to do this :-( Minor annoyance really, hopefully Tasker is updated soon...

Android Auto has a setting (on the phone) to turn of Wifi when connected - so uses mobile data.

For Connect, Traffic and Google Earth the car uses the data from my phone hence turning on tethering as soon as I get in the car. I rarely use Android Auto unless on a longer journey for better sound quality, normally I just pop the phone on the charging pad and bluetooth the music over.

Recently Installed Android Pie onto my Galaxy Note 9, and found that I now have voice control over a number of functions, including Spotify. Result:racer:

(2016 S7, non-CarPlay, MMI High)

Last edited:
Slightly away from the topic - on the phone - Settings/Connections/More Connection Settings is a box labelled 'Mirror Link', says it needs USB - does that work on the B9 I wonder?

I used a third party app to mirror when I first got the car. I'll fish it out if you are interested. It has been blocked by Google however so you will need to edit the apk file just to change some identification details.

Thanks Cuke2u/Candell.

Tried it in the car and Android Auto launched, closed that and the S10 gamely downloaded a certificate but that's as far as it got. Android Auto is fine for my needs - it was one of those 'because you can' moments.