G85 Steering angle sensor query

norris_309

Reaction score
Hi all,
After a bit of info regarding the impact of having a dead/dying steering angle sensor.

I've had intermittent esp light for a couple of years now. And this gave a error for the sensor. But not caused me an issue.

Then a couple of times in the last year or so I have had the traction control activate by itself when turning which isn't great but I've just been disabling esp with the button.

Now, yesterday the Mrs called and from what I can gather she was braking and the abs started kicking in.
Turning the car off and on cured it but as it was a braking issue I got the brake down out.
They disconnected the abs under the bonnet and followed her to a friend's garage for him to look at.

Now, he's called and said after scanning it with vagcom it is giving a g85 error. Nothing else.

Would a duff steering angle sensor cause abs issues as well as esp?
Anyone know as I don't want to throw money at this car and only have that to go on?!

Well got the car back for now, and it drive back fine albeit with the esp light on.
Looking on vagcom the steering angle doesn't change when steering left & right, just stays on -2.5 degrees & it won't allow a calibration within the software, it displays the module but can't seem to connect to it.

So looks like the sensor has been dying a slow death over time :-(!!
I can only find a genuine audi part at a cost of £360. Seems you can get aftermarket for all cars bar mine, typical.

Anyone came across aftermarket for these or know where you can get audi parts discounted?

Well got the car back for now, and it drive back fine albeit with the esp light on.
Looking on vagcom the steering angle doesn't change when steering left & right, just stays on -2.5 degrees & it won't allow a calibration within the software, it displays the module but can't seem to connect to it.

So looks like the sensor has been dying a slow death over time :-(!!
I can only find a genuine audi part at a cost of £360. Seems you can get aftermarket for all cars bar mine, typical.

Anyone came across aftermarket for these or know where you can get audi parts discounted?
whats the Part number ?

Yeah give us the part number I have one spare. 8E0953541 C is the one I have

Reactions: norris_309
Hi sorry, been away & not seen these messages.
The part number i've been given is
8E0 953 541 E
I wonder if the 'E' is just that it's the newest version maybe & the 'C' is the same part but older revision?
Or are there different ones for cruise control cars etc? mine doesn't have cruise

I'm doubtful about this fixing my main issue though to be honest, I've had the fault for ages but something has recently made the car kick the ABS in violently even when then esp light was on the dash (as in disabled)
and I've also had esp kick in when turning (when the esp light wasn't on) and from info on here that points to an abs sensor, but it doesn't show an abs error..
confused with it all

So I'm wondering if I fix the steering angle sensor, then esp will be working all the time.. which may then cause me to have more esp kicking issues if it's caused by the abs sensors.. .if you get me!... I'm confusing myself!

I think when I get a few hours I'm going to take off the wheels & see if i can see the abs sensors/rings to make sure they look ok/cleaned them all off & see where I stand then.
Annoyingly you won't know if it's fixed really.. I'll just be waiting for some random abs/esp kicking in to happen.

I can't advise regarding your ESP system kicking in but with regards to the slip ring, the 8E0 953 541 C model allows your steering wheel to work functions such as indicators, wipers, trip computer and cruise control. 8E0 953 541 E controls all those too as well as multi-function controls for the stereo.

When I upgraded to a multi-function steering wheel a few months ago I had to switch my 8E0 953 541 C for an E. So the E isn't a newer version of the C but a more capable one.

BTW, I agree with you, I doubt the slip-ring could have anything to do with your problems.

No further on this one, as I've been home working I've not needed the car but equally not had much time to look at it either.
I did take the wheels off & check for anything obvious, but the rear discs are pretty new so couldn't get them off without removing the caliper carrier.. I did however manage to see the abs sensors and the abs ring & cleaned off as much as i could (1 rear sensor was half covered in some sort of gunk.) but none looked to have any damage as far as i could see.

I've driven it a few times over the weeks locally without any problems until today. I started it up & had the red brake warning light on, while it was on I used a cheapy code reader & it came up with 2 codes both referencing the steering angle sensor. (00788 & 01876)

I drove it gingerly up the road & the brake light went out & all seemed well. I pulled out of a junction to have a very slight esp light flash. A few meters up the road the brakes seemed to pulse... not like the quick abs buzz more a slower jabbing of the brakes?.. very hard to describe.
I then slowly drove around the block where finally nearing home I applied the brakes & there was a kind of 'twang' noise from what seemed to be the front drivers side wheel.

Since then started it up again & the brake warning appeared but went after a few beeps & i drove around the block again fine?.. i then turn the ignition on outside of my house now & the brake warning light is staying on..

The only errors if any are the G85 sensor.. 00788 & 01876.
I can change the sensor, but i don't have vagcom to calibrate it, if I put a second hand one on, would this set itself up by doing the steering left /right & driving so far under 15mph?.. like I've seen mentioned?

I've been quoted £80 to fit one, but I'm still not totally convinced this is my only problem..
Anyone want a b6 avant! :-(

This might sound stupid and unrelated but check your plenum chamber for water ingress. When mine was flooded, until I emptied and dried my entire car out I was getting ABS warning lights, G85 Sensor errors that wouldn't go away with VCDS, EPC as well. I'm not sure exactly why but moisture seemed to cause it for me. Worth a check if it's happened out of no where like mine did.

Thanks for the reply mate, my plenham chamber is dry currently, i take it the wet came in & got the ecu wet then or something similar.
I might have a check for damp there just on the off chance as we have had a lot of rain recently so you never know.
Saying that, i've had the esp light intermittent for a couple of years, it had been off more than on so just left it.
But now it's progresses onto more.. and now i'm not driving it for risk of the abs or esp kicking in at random!

Last edited:
Reactions: Asahi
Thanks for the reply mate, my plenham chamber is dry currently, i take it the wet came in & got the ecu wet then or something similar.
I might have a check for damp there just on the off chance as we have had a lot of rain recently so you never know.
Saying that, i've had the esp light intermittent for a couple of years, it had been off more than on so just left it.
But now it's progresses onto more.. and now i'm not driving it for risk of the abs or esp kicking in at random!
Another shot in the dark but I've heard the steering angle sensor can be calibrated/reset etc. I believe VCDS is possible doing this. Perhaps a worth looking to. Anything is possible I've found especially since these cars are so complex electrically.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I did have the car scanned with vcds when I initially had the abs fault.
It found a g85 error.
On delving into it he found vcds couldn't communicate with the steering angle sensor to do anything and when turning the wheel the steering angle didn't change either so concluded it was knackered.

But it looks like a faulty steering angle sensor would just disable ESP as far as I can see (which it has been) so I've been thinking that's not actually my main problem.. ****** cars.

Thanks to a forum member I have today changed the sensor. And touch wood the light is now out.. however when I start the car i get the red brake warning light and beeping which stays lit until I move the car a few feet when it then turns off!!??

And further to this I tried testing the abs sensors with a meter. I found one (rear passenger) sensor voltage didn't increase at the same rate as the other 3 when spinning the wheel so suspect that it may be that one causing me problems maybe?
Wish I had vcds myself to monitor the wheel speed when driving around

I just did a rear sensor on mine, a pain to do but do-able even if you can't get your brake disk off. I got a decent Bosch one for £37 and my dash lights went out. That was my only symptom though! And my cheap scanner came up with the code and told me which one was duff. So yours isn't giving a code for the abs sensor?

Last edited:
No I currently have no error lights on, but I get the big red brake and handbrake lights flashing every time I start it up and that goes out once you start driving??.. very odd.
My little scanner does show 2 codes related to steering angle sensor but I have no fault lights on so far since replacing that.

The reason I suspect an abs sensor is just from reading online where the abs kicks in on its own. Its possible the one of the sensors is giving a false reading so thinking the wheel is locking up.. but as the connection is there is doesn't throw a fault light.. that's my theory anyway.
And when I checked the voltage on each sensor when spinning the wheels by hand one of the sensors is showing a much lower reading than the rest.

Once once you have the abs and esp kick in for no reason it doesn't fill you with confidence to drive the car! Luckily I have a few cars at the moment so I've just been pottering around locally very carefully to see how it behaves

I had an intermittent problem with rear abs sensor, rust builds up between the mounting point abs the sensor, pushing the sensor closer to the trigger wheel and upsets the air gap. I fitted an eBay discussant at £17, job done.
Is your battery okay, a bad battery can do some strange things on start up, Passat did 3 belts on start up for ages, it was the battery.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Did you get an abs light on for that? I'm not getting the light.
And yes the battery is ok, I have had that issue in the winter with an old battery. 3 beeps with the brake warning.
At the moment I get the same warning light and beeps but the lights stays on until you pull away which is different to the low battery issue.

As for the sensor you sent, fingers crossed I've driven round and round on a few occasions since swapping it and I've not had the esp light come on yet

Reactions: QuattroCalum
And yes the battery is ok, I have had that issue in the winter with an old battery. 3 beeps with the brake warning.
At the moment I get the same warning light and beeps but the lights stays on until you pull away which is different to the low battery issue.

As for the sensor you sent, fingers crossed I've driven round and round on a few occasions since swapping it and I've not had the esp light come on yet

I would change the suspect sensor (relatively low cost if it doesn't solve the issue). It's a pain but as you don't need the car you can do it a bit at a time to spread it out and involve less swear words. Manic put a nice guide up here
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-rusted-mot-time-ahhhhhh.255393/#post-3604762
and like I say I managed it without removing the disc.

And the brake pedal switch is one to check too, or brake fluid reservoir sensor? Hopefully the abs unit itself is ok!

Last edited:

Yes, abs light came on, intermittently at first. It could even be debris stuck to the ABS sensor (it's magnetic)

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I've just gone out & had a little look again.
I turned the ignition on & all lights go out & no issues.. I scan with the scanner & no errors (previous to a few drives it still had 2 steering angle sensor codes after swapping the sensor, but no dash light)
Then I fired the car up & I got the brake warning beep 3 times & then went off (just like you get with low battery, except it isn't low) I scanned again & no errors.
Following that I turned it off & the fired the car up again to be greeted with the brake warning light beep & that stayed on until I drive a few feet up the road where it then went out... scanned again & still no errors (so touchwood.. fingers crossed.. etc the steering angle sensor part is done!?)

Then, something I've never thought to do is press the spanner button near the clocks & when the error is on it says check ****** brake fluid & hydraulic fluid level!

I have looked at that in the beginning, and as hard as it is to make out, it looks like it's on the 'join' as below that it looks darker but not 100%
I can't get the filter part out so can't say for certain, Maybe it's on the verge of being too low so 'just' about triggering the sensor maybe?

So I wonder.. I might grab some & see if that just happens to be the cause of the light before paying for it to be scanned/ go any further... typical if it is. always look for the complicated fix!

Although I'm still not convinced low fluid could cause abs/esp to kick in my itself?... could it? maybe when coupled with duff g85? who knows

Thanks for reading my rants anyway

Well... i got a small bottle & for all the bouncing of the car & shining of lights through the brake reservoir i couldn't see where the level was.
So i poured a tiny bit in & tried again... still can't make out any movement so poured another tiny amount in & it filled the filling tube (the filter looking thing!) so couldn't have been very low at all!

But... i started the car 3 times & never had the brake warning light or beep?... :wtf: surely the level isn't that picky? i'd have had the warning before when the brake pads wear surely!?

So.. now the car seems fine... I'm still not convinced lol & still probably could do with a rear abs sensor.
But for once there are no lights or errors!

Last edited:
Great news! Maybe the bottle level sensor is caked up and temperamental? See how it goes eh!

Here's hoping!
I did do the little sensor check (press the bottom of the filter) and it did produce the warning & beep, so it's working.

But as you say, it could be a bit temperamental making it a bit over sensitive maybe?.. who knows..
Gotta keep the old thing going! doing my bit for the B6 community lol (much to the mrs disgust!)