G60 or ABF flywheel?

slowcoach3

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find out which flywheel you need for a single mass conversion, G60 or ABF? I've been told either.... All opinions welcomed! Many thanks. ( I have searched but not a definative answer )

This is what I thought, I'm just trying different angles to work out how my conversion has gone wrong :crying:

Glad i bought my clutch conversion as a proper kit from carspares now lol i see y evryone says the g60fly and vr6 clutch is a better option but my avola clutch conversion has been bang on and cost me about £300 supplied and fitted. The kit came all stuck together balanced on the flywheel so even a monkey couldnt screw it up lol. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Thanks! Apparantly its very difficult to make a mess of the parts I gave him.......
I'm going to sell the parts seperatly and buy a kit! And get somebody else to fit it..... lol

Glad i bought my clutch conversion as a proper kit from carspares now lol i see y evryone says the g60fly and vr6 clutch is a better option but my avola clutch conversion has been bang on and cost me about £300 supplied and fitted. The kit came all stuck together balanced on the flywheel so even a monkey couldnt screw it up lol. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Avola, is that Valeo?

Same as mine, no issues! And they sell the clutch plate on its own so no issues when it comes to put another clutch in :)

Same as mine, no issues! And they sell the clutch plate on its own so no issues when it comes to put another clutch in :)

Are you on about the veoli or ravioli or whatever its proper name is?lol cus thats a releif to know.

Thats my next purchase lol :thumbsup:
And a new mechanic, previous one left my tracking 22mm out, protyre were so shocked they didn't charge me........

Personally, I think you guys are going about this the wrong way.....

Cheap random brands doing a full kit, with a flywheel and clutch of totally unknown quality, versus all OEM genuine parts, with decent sachs or LUK clutches that we all KNOW will work, also, if you get more power down the line, you can fit an uprated VR6 clutch and have even more reliability.

I'd stay well away from the kits myself, Every single one I've seen fitted has had issues, be it savage judder, slipping in powerful cars, or no availability of replacement parts.

Do it right, use genuine stuff, and you can't go wrong.

Is there not something about you having to always use a Valeo clutch with the flywheel in their kit because it's slightly different from the ABF flyhweel?

Personally, I think you guys are going about this the wrong way.....

Cheap random brands doing a full kit, with a flywheel and clutch of totally unknown quality, versus all OEM genuine parts, with decent sachs or LUK clutches that we all KNOW will work, also, if you get more power down the line, you can fit an uprated VR6 clutch and have even more reliability.

I'd stay well away from the kits myself, Every single one I've seen fitted has had issues, be it savage judder, slipping in powerful cars, or no availability of replacement parts.

Do it right, use genuine stuff, and you can't go wrong.

Yeh i know where your coming from prawn as youv stated before, but the exsperiance iv had has been good so far, obviousley there have been people that havent been as lucky. But the news that you can replace the clutch is a bonus. I think for a cheap alternative its an option but like you say about genuine oem parts, you are alot less likely for things to go wrong. If i was planning a big turbo upgrade then id of gone for the g60 convi, but for my daily its cheap and cheerful till im 25.

Can't go wrong.....?!!!!

Nope, it actually can't go wrong.

If you have all the right parts, and a competant mechanic, it's very straight forward.

I'm afraid, either Some of the parts your supplied are wrong, or your mechanic is somehow fitting it wrongly.

Are you definitely using the ABF crank bolts?

Thats my next purchase lol :thumbsup:
And a new mechanic, previous one left my tracking 22mm out, protyre were so shocked they didn't charge me........

Just had a good old read up about the valeo clutch and its got some really good reviews, will hold a supposed 275ft lb of torque and is over 5lbs lighter than the oem dmf setup. I think its a good alternative for the mild tuner.

Has anyone used a diffrent aftermarket conversion kit?

You would be a mug to buy one of the kits.

£50 ABF Flywheel
VW GOLF MK3 GTI ABF 2.0 16V FLYWHEEL 037 105 273 C | eBay

£66 clutch kit
NEW CLUTCH KIT VW Golf Mk3 2.8 VR6 1992>10/1997 | eBay

Bolts off a forum/breaker for a fiver.

Thats an entire 50+% saving over the ebay kits just from what I've shown there.

Personally I've seen VR6 clutch kits BNIB at shows, autojumbles and on forums for as low as £30, and I've been offered an ABF flywheel with bolts for £25 a few months back when Prawn needed one for his daily. Whats the point in spending all the money on something off ebay just because it's convenient and comes all in one box. The security of it saying "fits 1.8t" in the title? Doesn't matter if your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing :o.k:

I went for oem parts as they last longer, are easier to replace and are proven over a long time. Just need to find someone intelligent enough to fit it,
Jardo, do you know anybody down here that loves the job so much they are prepared to do it for love, biscuits, beer and limited cash? My r-tech funds have now been wasted on not getting this done.....Gutted!

I'd do it for you of you were anywhere near me! Simply because i can't believe someone has cocked it up for you so badly!

Sadly, I'm not home to Plymouth until Christmas.