FWD Track s3 ,or haldex

Some things to think about here. Having a road legal track car is always going to be a compromise! I've sat in Prawn's track car out on track and road, it's great at what it does, surprisingly both on the track and road, and if you ask me today to pick an 8L as a base car for such a machine, then a 1.8T is a no brainer for me.

Then there is the question of working with what you have. You've already spent time and money stripping no tuning the S3, so just go use and abuse it! Why having second thoughts based on other peoples opinion? When I was tracking my S3, I was having so much fun, I couldn't care less how other cars around me went! :racer, even up until the point I lost it into a tyre barrier...

My tip personally is, have some fun with what you have first, and learn the basics of track position, braking points, cornering hitting the apex's etc. first, instead of finding the perfect car to hone your skills in, but hey, that's just me.

Reactions: superkarl and voorhees
I'm no track expert, but the phrase I love when thinking of anything related to go faster mods for a car is simply - If you can't drive 100hp fast, you're never going to drive 500hp fast. Learn how to race on a track first, then when you've reached the cars potential, upgrade parts then. IMO.

Reactions: kwistof and snowy
@RRP

£1K per axle for an LSD

£500ish for a HPA touchmotion

That doesn't include fitting either

Oh, I thought you meant converting to proper torsen 4x4 with the drivetrain from an Audi 80 or something and wondered if there was a kit to do it cheaply at £2500

Reactions: Jenno007
Twin axle torsen lsd & a DCCD like the HPA touchmotion is a budget Prodrive Pectel drivetrain

Different level of tech to the old Audi 80 Quattro system

you wouldn't be aloud to use it current 2011+ WRC spec, or Rallycross come to that

PQ34 chassis, 240ish bhp/tonne, Prodrive drivetrain + some skill - don't see why the S3 can't be made to do this

Andrew is doing the set up tou mention so we'll have to see what he says about it.

Torsen upto 75% (in most basic configuration) goes to the axle with most traction, then you can add lsd's F&R to get it to individual tyres
Engine > gearbox > centre diff > front & rear diffs

Haldex upto 50:50 power distribution

Haldex can transit close to 100% to rear axle - prop ratio 1:1

besides transitting all your torque to the rear axle isn't what you always want, hence the introduction of the DCCD into rally cars

Not with oem software though

I thought haldex locked on 100% meant that only 50% of the power was getting to the rear?

Urban myth

With the front axle unloaded, the front diff will send all torque straight down the prop
(It turns it continously as is, & there is no gearing in the transfer box)

Without any interference from the haldex ecu, the clutchplate will enage and transit it straight through minus any mechanical loss

If you where to feed enough torque down the prop you would get to level where clutch plates would fail

Reactions: superkarl
wow quite a common myth thanks for clearing that up