Fuse box and TPMS Retrofit Question

alpesh26

Reaction score
Finally got round to getting the active TPMS kit but I have some questions:

- How does the fuse box remove so I can get to the back of it to fit "new" circuits?
- I've checked the manual and there doesn't appear to be a specific fuse location for TPMS, which is the best one to use? I'd prefer not to use a fuse tap
- When I fitted my reversing camera, I was lazy and tapped the power off the boot 12v socket so VCDS always throws a fault, what is the part number for the repair wire so I can sort this properly whilst the fuse box is out?
- Stupid question: when looking at the boot from the back of the car, does the TPMS module go on the right hand side (where the toolkit is)?

TIA

I've just had direct TPMS fitted to my S3 Cab, kept throwing a fault with the module in the right hand side of the boot. Found a decent cubby hole under the back seat which solved the issue.

Reactions: alpesh26
Finally got round to getting the active TPMS kit but I have some questions:

- How does the fuse box remove so I can get to the back of it to fit "new" circuits?
- I've checked the manual and there doesn't appear to be a specific fuse location for TPMS, which is the best one to use? I'd prefer not to use a fuse tap
- When I fitted my reversing camera, I was lazy and tapped the power off the boot 12v socket so VCDS always throws a fault, what is the part number for the repair wire so I can sort this properly whilst the fuse box is out?
- Stupid question: when looking at the boot from the back of the car, does the TPMS module go on the right hand side (where the toolkit is)?

TIA
Is your car a LHD or RHD? If it's LHD, the fuse box can be reached by removing the bottom trim from the dashboard and the knee airbag, then prying on the tabs and pulling it from the mount so you can reach the back of the box. If it's RHD I don't have the details, but it seems that removal of the glove box will be necessary.
Choose a free fuse position in a row of fuses that have permanent power (Terminal 30) instead of a switched power (Terminal 15).
Try repair wire 000979026E (MCP 2.8 terminals) for the mini fuses. Bigger fuses will require another bigger terminal. Some fuse positions in the box are locked with a pink plastic lock that has to be removed by sliding toward the side of the box before inserting the terminal into the slot.
TPMS module seems to work in both sides, I'm not sure what's the OEM position. I'm using mine in the trunk.

Is your car a LHD or RHD? If it's LHD, the fuse box can be reached by removing the bottom trim from the dashboard and the knee airbag, then prying on the tabs and pulling it from the mount so you can reach the back of the box. If it's RHD I don't have the details, but it seems that removal of the glove box will be necessary.
Choose a free fuse position in a row of fuses that have permanent power (Terminal 30) instead of a switched power (Terminal 15).
Try repair wire 000979026E (MCP 2.8 terminals) for the mini fuses. Bigger fuses will require another bigger terminal. Some fuse positions in the box are locked with a pink plastic lock that has to be removed by sliding toward the side of the box before inserting the terminal into the slot.
TPMS module seems to work in both sides, I'm not sure what's the OEM position. I'm using mine in the trunk.
Thanks @Rcord some great info there!

000979026E looks like the the connector that came with the camera kit if I remember correctly.

Any reason for using permanent power over switched?

The car is an RHD. you can just about access the fuses from a panel within the glovebox but it will need to come out for any work other than changing fuses.

Also, the trim at the door sill, how does this come out? I've tried pulling on it but I got scared it was going to snap so left it

Any reason for using permanent power over switched?
Also, the trim at the door sill, how does this come out? I've tried pulling on it but I got scared it was going to snap so left it
If I recall correctly, TPMS module will register a fault if power is switched off. I suppose the module is connected to permanent power in order to receive signals from the wheel sensors even when ignition is off so it can alert the driver about a pressure loss as soon as the ignition is turned on.
Trim at the door sill should come out by pulling on it. It's hard to say if you're doing it right without seeing what you're doing, but it's pretty simple, no secret screws or tabs.