Funny clunking noise...help

chazd

Reaction score
I have own the sportback for about a week now.

I have noticed that when going slow over a bumpy road I can hear a clunk/rattle noise from the rear. At first I thought it was the parcel shelf, but I have removed it and it has not stopped.

Is this a common problem? I have 12 months warranty so can take it back to place I bought from. BUt curious as to if this has happened to somebody else.

Car is a 57 reg 2.0 TDI if that is of any use?

Thanks in advance.

Could be anything mate from shocker top bush,exhaust mountings,spare wheel not secured tight and the list goes on so i would take it back

Did you fine the cause of your clunking sound?

I picked up a new S5 Sportback last Monday and I have the same clunking noise coming from the rear. It happens at slow speeds over small bumps and is quite loud and VERY annoying. I removed the spare wheel, parcel shelves, jack & tool box. I also tried putting some padding under the spare wheel cover. None of this helped. So I took the car back yesterday and they put it on the hoist for a quick look but couldn't find anything obvious. They said they need the car back for a whole day to look for the source of the noise. I suspect it is suspension related. I have booked it in for 2 weeks time - the soonest they could look at it. In the mean time it has spoilt an otherwise perfect experience with my new Audi that I have waited a lifetime to get. I cant believe that this wasn't picked up before delivery. As soon as I drove the Audi technician 30 metres up the road he heard it. Doesnt seem like pre-delivery checks are done very well.