Full Respray or Vinyl Wrap?

Syvo

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT
Reaction score
i am considering changing the colour of my car as i am bored of the colour and would like something less in your face plus the car attracts to much unwanted attention at the moment.

current colour;
IMG-20120305-00059.jpg

liquid yellow

colour i am considering changing to;

GreyFerrari_zps62b01dfc.jpg

Ferrari grey which has some flake in the paint up close or

TTS1-vi_zps2e83cd19.jpg

which is daytona grey

have seen this colour on many TT's and looks so nice and have a tin of ferrari grey as it was the colour i was going to do the wheels.

any thoughts or suggestions would be much appriciated.

also both sides of my car at the moment need a respray due to sag in the paint and some minor rust bubbles on the rear arch, this is another reason why to look at full respray as would cost around the same to do both sides of mine as the full respray due to the 3 stage paint.

Your spot on with the grey if you want it to be more discreet,I don't know about wrap but a respray isn't cheap.

cheers voorhees i will be supplying the paint and tempted to prep the car with me bro who used to do it for ninemeister a porsche tunning place in warrington.

im looking around 1k for a respray only with me supplying paint and doing prepwork.

ive had vinyl on the bonnet of my last car and was ok but was a dull carbon so no shine which i would like.

dont get me wrong i love the liquid yellow colour but its just to in your face and the car has already been keyed once before and constantly wondering where to leave the car so it doesnt get done over again, plus the grey looks more elegant than the bright yellow and more of a sleeper

It looks gold on your pic but very yellow on your sig pic,if it is attracting attention then yeah go grey.
Prepping is a ball ache but it is the foundation so it's good you can do it.

Don't do black/white as its a high maintenance colour.

yeh it does look gold in some pics and yellow in others it has a pearl in the colour some slight shade change.

dont fancy black or white had black car before was nightmare to keep clean etc

my pals got a matt grey wrapped clio sport, that looks the tits

I'd go for the respray in the Daytona grey, wrapping isn't exactly cheap I'm sure my mate paid about £120 just for a roof in gloss black.

Gutted about the damages, where did that happen?

Got most of mine wrapped, I'm in the same boat as you. I am bored of the colour and was considering Daytona grey / gun metal grey. Wrap is good if done properly, I have areas which need redo-ing as tear marks have appeared. Personally next time round it's a full respray!

deffo go for wrap! its cheaper and you can back to the original colour if you want to, with no need to spend more money again.

Personally, I'd wrap it.

IME, resale can be a problem after a re-spray because buyers assume the car's been in a prang.

Also, does a re-spray affect your insurance?

Respray or wrap affects insurance as they want to charge you for the change. Admin charges etc. I questioned the company asking what if I had resprayed it the same colour giving a fresh coat. They would still charge as its "new"

Don't do black/white as its a high maintenance colour.

Black is. Having owned a white car for 2-3 years, I'd say it actually stayed looking clean way longer than a darker color. If it hasn't rained, you get lots of dust build up on a black car, which isn't as visible on white.

i have had a price back for both wrap and respray.

although i do have a problem with the wrap as the colour i want is a metallic wrap its £1900 for full car and respray is £3000 and they wont let me prep or supply paint. no offense to the bodyshop but last time it was sprayed the prep work was shocking so would rather do it myself and know its right.

also with the wrap i would have to spray/fill in the sags in the paint as they would be seen in the wrap.

so i am gonna keep it cheap and prep and spray the car with me brother in april when its dryer and then look at a wrap as could do the two sides including materials for about £300 as i can get the paint for £10 per litre instead of the ridiculousness price of £70 per litre plus its three stage paint at moment so that would be £140 quid per litre plus lacquer on top

or use the car less is another option lol.

i am currently using me bike at mo as the stretch tyres are leaking to much and driving me mad pumping them back up every 3 days also the intercooler pipes are catching on the pully so car is off the road untill january when it will get full set of tyres lifted back up 20mm and a new intercooler pipe work.

Respray or wrap affects insurance as they want to charge you for the change. Admin charges etc. I questioned the company asking what if I had resprayed it the same colour giving a fresh coat. They would still charge as its "new"

That may have been the case for you and your insurer but not with every other insurer out there.

We (Sky Insurance) , via our car club scheme would not charge for a paint colour change as long as it is not being changed to a stand out colour, eg bright yellow. Wraps can attract additonal premiums due to repair cost but again will vary between insurers.

Thanks

Ollie
Sky Insurance